Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 7,460 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I, and 2 little dogs, might be moving to Northern California, w/in next couple of months. I just wanted some advice about areas to live.
The criteria would be:

•Need to rent a house, no condos, no apts...
•We have 2 little dogs
•Monthly rent max of $2,300.00 (would like to stay closer to $1,900.00)
•Need to be w/in 45 minute drive to Emeryville
•Would prefer to be near the ocean
•Need backyard, can be small though
•We will have a car

We have been researching Pacifica and Alameda, but we don't really know much about the area at all! Don't really mind being a bit "out there" we're getting older and are over the "City" life stuff . Quiet, Safe and close enough to a beach is all we really need!

Would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Just want to be sure you're cognizant that North CA beaches are cold and windy most of the year, same as the towns that they're in.

Pacifica is doable if you don't mind the commute, crossing the Bay Bridge ($5 toll coming into SF) every weekday, and the weather. It's quiet and safe, just a bit out there and cold for most people. If you do live there, I'd suggest you live more inland than next to the beach.

Neighborhoods east of 80 are generally nice and safe - Berkeley, El Cerrito, El Sabronte, etc. Also, don't discount Oakland - Rockridge and the Temescal area are generally safe.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,022 times
Close to the ocean will be tough on your budget and commute. Also I echo what bebop said. The beaches here in NorCal aren't going to be like the beaches in SoCal or Florida, they are super cold, maybe only a step under the coast of the North East.

If you're going to be commuting to Emeryville, better to stay in the East Bay.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Just want to be sure you're cognizant that North CA beaches are cold and windy most of the year, same as the towns that they're in.

Pacifica is doable if you don't mind the commute, crossing the Bay Bridge ($5 toll coming into SF) every weekday, and the weather. It's quiet and safe, just a bit out there and cold for most people. If you do live there, I'd suggest you live more inland than next to the beach.

Neighborhoods east of 80 are generally nice and safe - Berkeley, El Cerrito, El Sabronte, etc. Also, don't discount Oakland - Rockridge and the Temescal area are generally safe.

Thanks beb0p! I'm actually from the east coast, NY to be exact. The cold doesn't worry me, I actually prefer it! I've lived in SoCal, and had an extended stay in NorCal, much preferred NorCal! Way too HOT in SoCal! My husband is actually from SoCal and has lived in NY for a while with me, he agrees that colder weather is better.
Had not even thought about any toll crossing the bridge , thanks for that info!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Close to the ocean will be tough on your budget and commute. Also I echo what bebop said. The beaches here in NorCal aren't going to be like the beaches in SoCal or Florida, they are super cold, maybe only a step under the coast of the North East.

If you're going to be commuting to Emeryville, better to stay in the East Bay.
Thanks for the info! The funny thing is that it's the cooler weather that make the whole area attractive for us! After both of us living in NY and SoCal, we are done with hot weather altogether! If it could be Spring and Fall all year round it would be Paradise to me!
Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you consider to be the "East Bay"?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesgirl View Post
Thanks for the info! The funny thing is that it's the cooler weather that make the whole area attractive for us! After both of us living in NY and SoCal, we are done with hot weather altogether! If it could be Spring and Fall all year round it would be Paradise to me!
Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you consider to be the "East Bay"?
East Bay is a huge area "East" of S.F and the Peninsula, starting at Concord, and going south until around Fremont, going East until around Dublin/Livermoe.

"Inner East Bay" is the area directly next to the Bay; Ricmond, Berkeley, Oakland, San Leandro, Castro Valley, Hayward, etc. Inner East Bay is generally more urban, especially Oakland. It's easier to get to the city in general from this area, but there is more crime as well.

Outer East Bay (where I live); Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Dublin, Danville, Pleasanton, etc. These areas are generally more suburban. Less crime, but further from the city.

I'd say all of these cities though are within 45 minutes to Emeryville. With a $2,300 budget, and what you're looking for, I think your money would go much further in the Inner East Bay. Just make sure you do research on the neighborhoods you're looking in, especially with regards to crime.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
East Bay is a huge area "East" of S.F and the Peninsula, starting at Concord, and going south until around Fremont, going East until around Dublin/Livermoe.

"Inner East Bay" is the area directly next to the Bay; Ricmond, Berkeley, Oakland, San Leandro, Castro Valley, Hayward, etc. Inner East Bay is generally more urban, especially Oakland. It's easier to get to the city in general from this area, but there is more crime as well.

Outer East Bay (where I live); Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Dublin, Danville, Pleasanton, etc. These areas are generally more suburban. Less crime, but further from the city.

I'd say all of these cities though are within 45 minutes to Emeryville. With a $2,300 budget, and what you're looking for, I think your money would go much further in the Inner East Bay. Just make sure you do research on the neighborhoods you're looking in, especially with regards to crime.
Thanks so much! Wow, that really clears up the margins for me! So, would ya say that if we enjoyed a suburban area, and given our budget, that we might do O.K. in the "Outer East Bay"? And, are you saying that, realistically, just get Pacifica out of my mind? LOL!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesgirl View Post
Thanks so much! Wow, that really clears up the margins for me! So, would ya say that if we enjoyed a suburban area, and given our budget, that we might do O.K. in the "Outer East Bay"? And, are you saying that, realistically, just get Pacifica out of my mind? LOL!
Outer East Bay = very hot in the summer!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Outer East Bay = very hot in the summer!
Oh Geez! Really?
Definitely do not want too hot! Thanks for the info!
Back to Square 1.........

Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Try Alameda. It is the "inner east bay." Close enough to Emeryville. Somewhere between urban and suburban. Walkable. And the weather is pleasant. Basically the same as Oakland. Summer is 72-75 and sunny. Albany is a little closer to Emeryville and also a great choice. It is tough to say which one would have a shorter commute, because the commute to E-ville on the freeway from any direction will be annoying as you will be caught up in the Bay Bridge Traffic. That is reason enough alone to avoid anything further than 12 miles from E-ville, and anything further than Orinda, maybe Lafayette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland