Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Therefore, you don't live in a town that's so outrageously expensive and is crawling with crackheads and prostitutes.
Still better than San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Still better than San Jose.
We don't shrug off mugging and carjacking as a normal part of where we live. Unlike everybody I've ever known who lived in SF.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
We don't shrug off mugging and carjacking as a normal part of where we live. Unlike everybody I've ever known who lived in SF.
Thats a small unfortunate aspect of an urban area.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Better than having the sketchballs hanging around your front door. How would you feel if you payed 2000 a month for a one bedroom, you come outside and some one is taking a dookie on your stoop? You don't want that. You want that person doing that in an ally in the loin where they belong.
Have you seen how well traversed Civic Center is? If the bums can sh*t on the escalator there, they can sh*t anywhere (including the front door of any apartment in the tenderloin).

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:

I doubt any of those people are actually from SF. Suburban people - Bay Area suburban people in particular - look at SF with rose colored glasses. For a lot of people, the City = North Beach, the Marina, Downtown, Haight-Ashbury, AT&T Park and more recently the Mission (i.e. what's shown on TV or in newspapers). When said suburban people move to SF, they bring this attitude with them. For a lot of them, the SF they "know" is very, very different from the SF they live in... when you've been bombarded with SF's squeaky-clean image all your life, though, it's very hard to question it. I myself had that same squeaky-clean image of SF in my head until I really got to know the City and some people from it, particularly people from Chinatown and Fillmore. Eventually, there was too big of a gap between the image in my head and what I was seeing/hearing from SF itself and its residents for me to continue to believe in the image. It's a little like when you find out that Santa Claus isn't real... I was around that age (7 or 8) when I discovered how BS the media representation was.

Unfortunately, it would be another 6-8 years before I discovered that the reverse was true of Oakland... the first year I was in Oakland I did not feel particularly comfortable despite that I had spent a lot of time in areas that were much worse (parts of Gary Indiana for instance) and even in more depressingly crappy parts of the Bay (EPA for example). The sad thing is that it doesn't matter where you come from in the Bay suburbs, wealthy or broke... unless you have a direct connection to SF or Oakland (or SJ for that matter) you will internalize the media drivel even if its contrary or more applicable to your experiences in the burbs. EPA is a much ****tier place to grow up than Oakland due to the complete lack of amenities or opportunities within EPA but good luck convincing EPAers of that. Counter-intuitively, the ****ty parts of SF are (incredibly enough) even more deprived than EPA but again good luck convincing them of that.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I doubt any of those people are actually from SF. Suburban people - Bay Area suburban people in particular - look at SF with rose colored glasses. For a lot of people, the City = North Beach, the Marina, Downtown, Haight-Ashbury, AT&T Park and more recently the Mission (i.e. what's shown on TV or in newspapers). When said suburban people move to SF, they bring this attitude with them. For a lot of them, the SF they "know" is very, very different from the SF they live in... when you've been bombarded with SF's squeaky-clean image all your life, though, it's very hard to question it.
First place I moved to in SF was on 18th and Capp in the armpit of the Mission. Opened my eyes pretty quickly to how dumpy and sketchy SF can be. My roommates and I would joke about how getting your car pissed on was just the Capp Street welcoming committee welcoming you to the neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 PM

^^^I always believed that Mid Market and the Loin were much nastier than anything in Oakland.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
I've never thought of Oakland as "nasty" like Tenderloin can be with human feces on the ground every block, and huge roach colonies in the alleys near trash bins. Oakland locally has always been known for violence, not nastiness.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I've never thought of Oakland as "nasty" like Tenderloin can be with human feces on the ground every block, and huge roach colonies in the alleys near trash bins. Oakland locally has always been known for violence, not nastiness.
Im talking about the whole package here. Granted feces is apart of it but don't forget the sheer number of crackheads and mentally unstable people. Throw in too many hookers and the hood part of it as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Have you seen how well traversed Civic Center is? If the bums can sh*t on the escalator there, they can sh*t anywhere (including the front door of any apartment in the tenderloin).
My cousin goes to that Art Institute there on civic center. Not exactly a classy area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland