Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

Rather than taking down rent control, how about taking down some of the several other quasi-Communist regs that completely discourage landlords from being landlords. That would increase the supply of rentals and the turn over, reducing the need for horrendous increases between renter generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM

460 posts, read 982,018 times
Communist regulations such as these?
1. Cannot evict the tenant as a result of a foreclosure. Granted, the tenant can be paid to vacate under owner move in. Even then, there are two protected classes based on health and age/length of residence in which the tenant cannot be evicted
2. Usually pay 5,145 per tenant for any no-fault evictions
3. Tenants can get away without paying rent for two months without any real consequences
4. Landlord abuses are curtailed by the rent ordinance but tenant can flaunt the ordinances

Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM

18 posts, read 34,543 times
I've been living in my unit in Oakland for 9 years now and if it weren't for rent control I would be paying 300 to 400 more a month which would have resulted in thousands upon thousands of dollars my landlord doesn't deserve from me.

The new people in the building are getting ripped off because it's what current rate is.

Yay for rent control! Don't be mad you can't hold down a place and get that savings benefit.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM

330 posts, read 749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandMofo View Post
I've been living in my unit in Oakland for 9 years now and if it weren't for rent control I would be paying 300 to 400 more a month which would have resulted in thousands upon thousands of dollars my landlord doesn't deserve from me.

The new people in the building are getting ripped off because it's what current rate is.

Yay for rent control! Don't be mad you can't hold down a place and get that savings benefit.
Who are you to decide what your landlord does and does not deserve? He saved the money up to buy the building you live in. He deals with all the risk of damage, fixes and maintains everything, pays the property taxes, deals with the rental laws.

Rent control is great for the people that have lived here ages and never have any thoughts of moving. For everyone else, it absolutely sucks.

People wonder why the City is becoming unaffordable for families? Say you are a single and have lived in your rent controlled apartment for 10 years. You meet a girl, get married, have kids. All of a sudden your 1 bedroom apartment doesn't cut it anymore. Now you are stuck trying to find a bigger apartment on the open market that's been:

1) Squeezed by people who would rather rent out their place to tourists on a short-term basis to avoid having tenants that can hold them hostage under the current rent laws
2) Squeezed by the nightmarish bureaucratic process that discourages new housing development in the city
3) Squeezed by landlords who are trying to make up for the money they are not making on their other rent-controlled apartments

No wonder families flee the City!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
You meet a girl, get married, have kids.
Don't meet a girl, don't get married, don't have kids. Keep life simple, keep your rent low.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 AM

18 posts, read 34,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Don't meet a girl, don't get married, don't have kids. Keep life simple, keep your rent low.
Yeah!

And I don't get what you're saying.
Without rent control my rent would be just as high as all the new short term tenants.
Who gains there?
The over charging landlords who take out loans he cant afford?
I've lived through one foreclosure here already.
Would have been pointless for me to be paying an extra $4,800 a year because he can't manage his money.

Good for rent control and me not getting gouged by peoples misborrowed money.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Quote:
Yeah!

Without rent control my rent would be just as high as all the new short term tenants.
Who gains there?
The owner of property. Don't like the real cost of rent? Great, leave!
Quote:
Would have been pointless for me to be paying an extra $4,800 a year because he can't manage his money.
Looks to me like you're the one that can't manage your money. Maybe you should have have paid more attention in school, worked harder and taken responsibility for your own life rather than sucking off a corrupt system.

Why do we tolerate worthless scum like this?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 16,329 times
Man, why are so people hostile to rent control here? Sounds like a bunch of people who've read an article or two from a libertarian-leaning site and decided to form a strong opinion without a full understanding of the system.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM

460 posts, read 982,018 times
Quote:
Yeah!

Who gains there?
The over charging landlords who take out loans he cant afford?
I've lived through one foreclosure here already.

Good for rent control and me not getting gouged by peoples misborrowed money.

Under rent control, old renters live in units for 20 years or longer to avoid paying market rates. Then the new renters in their 20s effectively subsidize the lower rents of the older renters. It's like the older generation feeding off on the younger generation. Landlords have to stay afloat somehow. And no, not all landlords are evil and greedy.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM

11 posts, read 16,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Under rent control, old renters live in units for 20 years or longer to avoid paying market rates. Then the new renters in their 20s effectively subsidize the lower rents of the older renters. It's like the older generation feeding off on the younger generation. Landlords have to stay afloat somehow. And no, not all landlords are evil and greedy.
god forbid we ever envision ourselves one day being old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland