Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,030,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I actually consider this a quirk of the balkanized Bay Area mentality. There rest of the world knows it as SF, get over it!

...and they would all be wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:26 PM

272 posts, read 321,831 times
From now on being in Nebraska I will say "I'm from Silicon Valley, not from San Francisco where TransAmerica building is "

too much ego..

Old 04-20-2012, 04:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,367,681 times
When asked in some small town in Europe where I'm from I'll tell 'em "I'm from Colma!"

Of course there will be blank stares.

LOLOL!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,030,673 times
Quote:
When asked in some small town in Europe where I'm from I'll tell 'em "I'm from Colma!"

LOLOL!
Try telling them you're from Milpitas...talk about blank stares and crickets chirping in the background.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,042,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
New York City occupies five.
True, although it is like S.F, where the county and city are merged...

Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,693,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
...and they would all be wrong
You can be technically correct, and have no-one understand what you're talking about. Or you can convey information that your listener actually understands and appreciates.

Outside of any given area, it's counter productive to refer to the specific location you're talking about if no-one's ever heard of it. If I said I grew up in Westmount, the conversation would be no further ahead. If I told you Montreal, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about, even if the technically true location was a few miles off.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,006,053 times
Oh come on. It is a name. Does it have to be this complicated? Unlike LA, San Francisco actually doesn't have a widely accepted abbreviation name. Whether SF or SFO is more acceptable is anyone's judgement, as long as it doesn't confuse the reader, because neither of them is that widely used orally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
It actually kinda does matter. Nobody says "I'm moving to SJC or I'm moving to OAK." Saying you're moving to SFO doesn't make any sense, since SFO is actually the term for the airport. The same principle goes for saying you're in San Francisco when you're actually not. I could understand if you were in maybe Daly City/San Bruno, etc...but not anywhere else in the Bay Area. SF is a completely unique city in the Bay Area that has no similarities with any other place here.

Saying "San Francisco" conjures up images of the Transamerica pyramid, the Golden Gate Bridge, The Castro, Chinatown etc. I can see how it could make sense to somebody not from here to refer to the area as San Francisco, but it doesn't reflect reality. As far as my previous observation about Fremont/San Francisco...those cities are so completely different from each other that it's almost absurd to use the term San Francisco when you're actually in Fremont.

The whole point of my post was to offer some insight mainly for outsiders. It was meant to be educational and not confrontational.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,350,825 times
Quote:

LOLOL!
Yet many Europeans seem to do exactly that. They'll say they're from a small town NEAR a larger one we've all heard of.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM

3,454 posts, read 5,244,223 times
Quote:
Yet many Europeans seem to do exactly that. They'll say they're from a small town NEAR a larger one we've all heard of.
I usually tell people I'm from a city called such-and-such "near San Francisco." That usually solves the problem. I don't think this is unique to the Bay Area. If you live in Teaneck, NJ, you can't say you live in NYC, but you can say you live near it. This holds true for any city in the world.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 AM

36,652 posts, read 67,420,867 times
Quote:
New York City occupies five.
But those are 5 contiguously connected counties.

San Francisco and SFO are separated by San Mateo County, which is very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland