Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times

Advertisements

Beautiful 4bd/2ba home available now for rent in the Mission Area! (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2962332613.html - broken link)

4 BDR 2.5 bath Single House For Rent in Fremont (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2969663320.html - broken link)

brentwood is WAY too far to commute into fremont man. dublin/pleasanton isn't bad though.. but i'd keep looking in the fremont area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM

79 posts, read 197,374 times
What do you guys think of this area? The schools seem to have a better rating on this side of Union City.

Large 5bed/3bath home (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2965209171.html - broken link)

Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
Is this a temporary job in Fremont? Rents are heading up everywhere. You should consider buying in this market. Livermore is a great town you should think about living there. the commute at 6 am from Livermore to Fremont is usually not that bad I can get there in 30 minutes to Mowry and 880. Livermore is alot less expensive than Fremont or Dublin and Pleasanton. If you want a really cheap house then Brentwood, Mountain House or Tracy are options but you are more than doubling your commute time. Brentwood might even be worse because this is only a 2 lane highway for alot of Vasco road. it is a parking lot at commute times.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGieSD View Post
I need help deciding...I'm transferring out there with my family this July. We are a family of 5 with 2 of my kids in 3rd grade and a 3 yr old. My wife stays at home to take care of kids. My annual pay will be around $160-$170k. Our rent budget is around $2600-$2900/month.

We were wanting to rent out a house in Fremont, Union City, Newark & Milpitas area...but recently it has been really hard to look for a house there. So I have been looking around Mountain House & Brentwood, but have been dreading the commute. I told my wife I was "somewhat" willing to do the commute since my shift usually starts at 6am meaning i'd be leaving mountain house/brentwood around 5am to get to work...is there traffic at that time of the day already?

We have been weighing the pros/cons with the budget we have set for the house vs the gas we have to spend if we live further out...which is why we were preferring to look closer to Fremont where my job is. But for worst case scenario & we end up in Mountain House or Brentwood, which would you guys recommend from the two towns?
First of all, with your salary you can raise that rent budget a bit higher. You should be able to afford one of the nicer parts of the Mission San Jose area in Fremont below the hills. If not, then the Irvington area. Traffic can get really bad here so proximity will save on gas and time.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
First of all, with your salary you can raise that rent budget a bit higher. You should be able to afford one of the nicer parts of the Mission San Jose area in Fremont below the hills. If not, then the Irvington area. Traffic can get really bad here so proximity will save on gas and time.
I know I can, but really don't want to UNLESS I have no other option...I want to enjoy what our lives are gonna be like in the beautiful state of CA ...and part of that will be having the extra money we can spend to go out & save at the same time. The most I'll probably go up to is around $3100/mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Is this a temporary job in Fremont? Rents are heading up everywhere. You should consider buying in this market. Livermore is a great town you should think about living there. the commute at 6 am from Livermore to Fremont is usually not that bad I can get there in 30 minutes to Mowry and 880. Livermore is alot less expensive than Fremont or Dublin and Pleasanton. If you want a really cheap house then Brentwood, Mountain House or Tracy are options but you are more than doubling your commute time. Brentwood might even be worse because this is only a 2 lane highway for alot of Vasco road. it is a parking lot at commute times.
We've been told about that too...but my credit kinda sucks because of mistakes we made a few years back so we're still trying to get up there in terms of getting perfect credit. My uncle had a real estate agent sis-in-law and they said we should consider "rent to own" homes...so we might be looking into those. It's a job transfer so it's permanent.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
We've been told about that too...but my credit kinda sucks because of mistakes we made a few years back so we're still trying to get up there in terms of getting perfect credit. My uncle had a real estate agent sis-in-law and they said we should consider "rent to own" homes...so we might be looking into those. It's a job transfer so it's permanent.[/quote]

I am not sure who told you you need perfect credit to buy a house that is what an FHA loan is for it is more expensive than a conventional loan but with your high income and willingness to pay over $3000 per month per housing you could get a very very nice house in Livermore or Brentwood or Moutain house. You could get a pretty nice house in Fremont too but Fremont is really getting over populated they are building houses on every empty lot and people are buying up old houses in Mission and tearing them down to make Mcmansions so their kids can go to Mission San Jose. And they are building low income housing everywhere in Fremont too.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 AM

yeah, but we really want to rent out for atleast the first few years just to get a feel of where we really want to settle down...We wanna try and see if we really want to live close to work or if we eventually wanna move out to the valley, settle there, & live with the commute.

I want to have those options for now...I've made a mistake of buying a house right off the bat when I first moved here to TX & it left me without a lot of options. I don't wanna make the same mistake again.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGieSD View Post
I have put that into consideration too..but I really wanted to have my kids live where we have a backyard where they can play or ride/play in front of the house with the neighborhood kids.
I know what you're going through. I just signed a lease for a single fam home in Fremont recently. I grabbed it immediately as it was suitable for my family of four and the monthly rent was within our budget. I am more than happy to pass on a number of tips I've picked up during the process. Lemme know.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 PM

please do so! feel free to message me. I would gladly appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
This is an old thread, I wonder how the OP made out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland