U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 21,321 times

Advertisements

Someone just told me that the towns soth of SF are cooler and a lot foggier - like Daly city and Pacifica. Is Marin much warmer and sunnier? What's your take?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 AM

67 posts, read 129,297 times
Oh i can answer this one hands down. I live in so.s.f. on the borderline of daly city and pacifica. Literally if i cross the steet in 1 direction im in d.c. if i cross the street in th other direction im in pacifica. I wake up every morning to fog!!! Heavy fog!!!!! The other day i left my house (in the fog) and went down to the lower part of so.s.f. I left in sweats uggs and a jacket. It wasnt just foggy it was misty and cold. I got down to the lower half by sees candy and it was beautiful and warm and i looked like a fool. In my opinion i believe it's just the wesbourough area of so.s.f. that gets this bad and and the fog sometimes doesnt lift. As bad as we are i think daly city and pacifica are worse. It's pretty much the entirety of those cities that gets the fog. And the cars rust easily out her because of the fog. I woul highly recomend not moving here!!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,690,411 times
Any area along the coast, be it in Marin or south along the SF peninsula are going to be foggy and windy. Inland (along the bay), the weather is warmer and much less foggy and windy. Pacifica and Half Moon Bay can be 60 degrees and windy while San Mateo and Redwood City can be 80 degrees and in the sun (only a difference of 25 miles or so inland).

Old 09-17-2007, 03:27 PM

29,042 posts, read 47,295,810 times
I lived in Pacifica for a while, and yes it's incredibly foggy... but to "brandosgirl," some of us LOVE the fog (like myself ), so that's not a reason to tell someone not to move there. Though if they prefer sunshine, of course I would suggest a different town. As for Marin county, some cities get really foggy, particularly near the GG Bridge, but it's overall sunnier than parts of the north Peninsula.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM

374 posts, read 1,785,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Oh i can answer this one hands down. I live in so.s.f. on the borderline of daly city and pacifica. Literally if i cross the steet in 1 direction im in d.c. if i cross the street in th other direction im in pacifica. I wake up every morning to fog!!! Heavy fog!!!!! The other day i left my house (in the fog) and went down to the lower part of so.s.f. I left in sweats uggs and a jacket. It wasnt just foggy it was misty and cold. I got down to the lower half by sees candy and it was beautiful and warm and i looked like a fool. In my opinion i believe it's just the wesbourough area of so.s.f. that gets this bad and and the fog sometimes doesnt lift. As bad as we are i think daly city and pacifica are worse. It's pretty much the entirety of those cities that gets the fog. And the cars rust easily out her because of the fog. I woul highly recomend not moving here!!!!
Can cars really rust from fog? I'm not so sure about that. Being from the midwest, our cars rusted because of the salt used on snowy roads. In Seattle it rains all the time and can be foggy, and I never once saw a rusted car there, except for my Minnesota car.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,883,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
As a current Daly City resident I recommend not moving here too. I don't want demand to cause housing costs to rise. I moved here specifically because of the weather. It's comfortable all year round because of that fog that everyone loves to hate. We don't have air conditioning and when everywhere else is sweltering in the heat we just have the windows open saving hundreds of dollars a month. When everywhere else gets freezing cold we're still in the comfort zone. We only have the heat on about a week a year again saving a lot of money.

When I'm home I'm rarely out of shorts and a T-shirt and when I go out I occasionally bring a sweatshirt with me. That's about it.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM

I absolutely agree 100%!!!! If you want to be in the cold misty fog all year round these are the places for you!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 15,319,020 times
i was in half moon bay this summer (so. s.f.) staying at the ritz carlton and it was foggy and cold all day long. it never got above 70 the whole time. then, we drove into santa cruz one day and it was in the mid 80's. then, on our way home via San Jose airport, we stopped in Palo Alto for lunch and it was in the upper 80's, while it was in the 60's in half moon bay. the distance to SJ is only 20 miles.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 PM

29,042 posts, read 47,295,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Can cars really rust from fog? I'm not so sure about that. Being from the midwest, our cars rusted because of the salt used on snowy roads. In Seattle it rains all the time and can be foggy, and I never once saw a rusted car there, except for my Minnesota car.
Supposedly they can, but I only lived there for a year, so can't say from experience. I remember getting rust on my hood when I lived in Tahoe, which I assumed was from the snow salt... then a detailer said it was mainly from acid rain, which kinda freaked me out! Oh, but there is a difference between Seattle's climate & Pacifica's - the former gets a lot of rain, but Pacifica/DC/SSF is continuously moist from the fog (whereas Seattle is often sunny on the non-rainy days).

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 AM

I should mention that even though my car got rusty. I park outdoors so im sure if you have a garage you'll be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland