Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
One of the most livable in the country? That's quite a stretch. Philadelphia has a really high crime rate and is not what I would consider livable. It is certainly far far cheaper than SF though.

I've lived in both cities and SF is preferable in just about every category. Make the move OP, you won't regret it. Just make sure you're earning enough money to enjoy what the city has to offer.
Crime rate is such a poor way to gauge you relative safety in a city. Most cities have a very wide range of crime rates in the city borders. And in most American cities, crime is concentrated in some areas and crime free in others. I imagine it is pretty easy to find a safe area in Philly. Just like in most places in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I'm not sure if you guys are not well-traveled, but Philly is a great city, and definitely one of the most livable in the country.

Nonetheless, I hope to join the OP in moving to the Bay Area from Philly after I graduate from college next year.
Yes, it may be livable but not relative to SF. No, I haven't traveledl to Philly but I have traveled to many places domestic and abroad and lived in many places to know Philly is not a liveable relative to SF. There is no possible way it is more livable. There is a reason why SF has such a high cost of living than Philly. There are statistics showing SF is ranked #30 in the world for most livable (2nd highest in the country). Here is one. 2011 Quality of Living survey

Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
No, I haven't traveledl to Philly but I have traveled to many places domestic and abroad
If you haven't been to a place, then you can't really comment on its livability in my opinion.

Usually a high cost of living actually decreases the livability of a place....

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Quote:
Yes, it may be livable but not relative to SF. No, I haven't traveledl to Philly but I have traveled to many places domestic and abroad and lived in many places to know Philly is not a liveable relative to SF. There is no possible way it is more livable. There is a reason why SF has such a high cost of living than Philly. There are statistics showing SF is ranked #30 in the world for most livable (2nd highest in the country). Here is one. 2011 Quality of Living survey
Sorry, I stopped reading at 'haven't traveled to Philly'. If you've never actually been here, I don't value your opinion on the subject in the slightest.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you haven't been to a place, then you can't really comment on its livability in my opinion.

Usually a high cost of living actually decreases the livability of a place....
Look at the top 30 on the list. You do see that high cost of living is the common denominator. I was commenting on its livability relative to SF. Read my posts.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I stopped reading at 'haven't traveled to Philly'. If you've never actually been here, I don't value your opinion on the subject in the slightest.
I lived in NYC for two years and got to know a few people from Philly and they sure don't want to live there anymore. I know this surgeon that was offered major money and his own laboratory to live in Philly but he decided to stay in NYC with no lab and has to work under another person. I've been to a few cities on the East Coast and no one talks about Philly and if they do, there's not much to say. You know you can draw conclusions by hearing experiences and news from whether media outlets or from real people. When I travel I do research and Philly was never on top of my list to visit.

Last edited by ubringliten; 04-26-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Crime rate is such a poor way to gauge you relative safety in a city. Most cities have a very wide range of crime rates in the city borders. And in most American cities, crime is concentrated in some areas and crime free in others. I imagine it is pretty easy to find a safe area in Philly. Just like in most places in the US.
Personal safety is a key issue on livability. It's all about averages. Try taking transit and biking for once. I have a friend that lives in Ingleside and she meets up with me in GGP and her ride is relatively safe. As for me, I have to cycle through Tenderloin. So you see that it fine for her but not for me. So the average is that it's not so safe. For every one person experiencing safety there's always another person that is not experiencing the same.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I lived in NYC for two years and got to know a few people from Philly and they sure don't want to live there anymore. I know this surgeon that was offered major money and his own laboratory to live in Philly but he decided to stay in NYC with no lab and has to work under another person. I've been to a few cities on the East Coast and no one talks about Philly and if they do, there's not much to say. You know you can draw conclusions by hearing experiences and news from whether media outlets or from real people. When I travel I do research and Philly was never on top of my list to visit.
Thanks for your worthless anecdotes. Again, you've never been here.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your worthless anecdotes. Again, you've never been here.
LOL. If you don't want to hear about my anecdostes, read the mercer article and learn something.

May I ask you if you don't live here why are you here? You must like it here or bore in Philly forum?

And by the way, I never said Philly was not livable. It's just not as livable as SF.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
LOL. If you don't want to hear about my anecdostes, read the mercer article and learn something.

May I ask you if you don't live here why are you here? You must like it here or bore in Philly forum?

And by the way, I never said Philly was not livable. It's just not as livable as SF.
Because I want to move to SF after I graduate from college. Again, your last point is completely false, especially factoring in COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland