Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
If your husband is going to hop on the 80, or 13 it doesn't make a difference, maybe 5-6 minutes tops depending on where you live in Berkeley. So you have to ask yourself if that time difference is worth living in Downtown Oakland (it's not), and having to commute yourself.
What are you talking about? Trying to navigate 80 in the AM adds about 15 minutes. Just from Emeryville. It is definitely better to be on the other side of 80. Or around 13 is OK. But Berkeley/Emeryville are huge bottlenecks, especially in the AM commute.

(Elmwood is the best choice in Berkeley in terms of commute time.)

Downtown Oakland is more urban feeling than much of Berkeley. So if that isn't the type of environment you are comfortable in it is a bad fit. But it is a pretty safe urban neighborhood. It is also very different in feel than around the Lake or Rockridge or Piedmont Ave or Temescal. (Frankly, these areas all feel a lot like the equivalent areas in Berkeley. There isn't much difference -- a few more hippies, students and homeless people in Berkeley.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What are you talking about? Trying to navigate 80 in the AM adds about 15 minutes.
Okay Ms. "There's only one way out of Brentwood to S.F".

It really depends on what time you leave, and where in Berkeley you live. I find the 80 is generally the worst at 8am to 10am. If you leave at 6:30am to 7:30am, you'll get to Castro Valley in about 25-30 minutes. I also already mentioned the 13 as an alternative.

Oakland doesn't make sense as you will have a commute, and not really gain much by being 5 minutes closer to Castro Valley.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM

295 posts, read 461,533 times
I personally would choose Oakland, Berkeley has alot of very hard to navigate streets due to so many of them being blocked off to through traffic in addition only one freeway really runs through the city of Berkeley making it a nightmare to get out of there. Downtown Oakland is actually quite safe. There are a number of bad areas in Oakland but i wouldn't consider downtown one of them, especially not the areas mentioned above by jade. however as i said before Adams point and the Grand lake area are both very safe areas that are mass transit accessible and central making it easy for both of you to get where you need to go. the proximity to the 580 also makes traffic much less of a headache.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM

I would go here to check for crime reports:
https://www.crimereports.com/

It uses the Google Maps system with data fed directly from OPD.

Check the area around the 12th Street BART, and 19th Street BART and then decide if it's worth the risk/commute into Berkeley for work, instead of just living in Berkeley.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 AM

295 posts, read 461,533 times
Well I wouldn't consider that map all that decisive. I mean car thefts and some embezzlement thefts on 20th, some robberies on franklin at midnight and 1 AM and domestic abuse assaults at 1am on 14th street. All of this stuff happened in the wee hours of the morning. not trying to downplay it but lets try not to play it up either. Using your own map though if you look over at Grand lake, Cleveland Heights and adams point there is virtually nothing. Thats safe even by suburban standards. Sorry that pulled this whole thing off topic.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM

I don't think Grand Lake or Cleveland Heights are high crime areas, but if you want to commute anywhere, and have to use BART, you eventually have to pass through the higher crime areas.

I see a lot more than car thefts. I see a few assaults, a lot armed and unarmed robbery, and some sexual assaults around the 12th Street BART. Let's not downplay it, we're trying to advise someone on where to live. 19th Street BART seems to have less violent crime, but if you're going to walk to there using Grand Ave there are a few assaults and robberies reported along that route.

When it comes down to it, just looking at the crime map, why take the risk and add the commute for not much gain? Doesn't make sense.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I don't think Grand Lake or Cleveland Heights are high crime areas, but if you want to commute anywhere, and have to use BART, you eventually have to pass through the higher crime areas.
Nobody should ever live in Orinda or Lafayette, they're right next to Oakland, the Murder Capital of the World. (sorry Santa Cruz!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland