Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,568 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving from NC (hopefully) to Cali after finishing college. I'm looking for an area that is artsy and friendly. I'd like to be somewhere where I can feel relatively safe walking around town or riding my bike through. I'm going to be vet so at the same time I'm looking for decent sized areas. If you know of any areas (in California or not) that sound like places I'd like, please let me know. I'm young but don't party a lot, I'm rather chill and just like spending time hanging out with my friends, animals, and doing artsy things. I know this sounds like a lot but any help would be amazing. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Depends on your budget and where you would be commuting to. You're going to be a veterinarian?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Depends on your budget and where you would be commuting to. You're going to be a veterinarian?
I won't have a huge budget to start with, it will be decent though. & Yes, I'm going to school to be a veterinarian and they make pretty good money. The average salary is $90,110.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Well again really it will depend on where you'll be commuting to, and what kind of place you want to live in--rural, urban, suburban, etc. In my opinion Berkeley and Oakland are the best parts of the Bay Area to use a bike, they're largely flat and they have a lot of bike lanes. SF is way hillier and windy, and the streets are narrower. Santa Cruz is also a decent biking town.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well again really it will depend on where you'll be commuting to, and what kind of place you want to live in--rural, urban, suburban, etc. In my opinion Berkeley and Oakland are the best parts of the Bay Area to use a bike, they're largely flat and they have a lot of bike lanes. SF is way hillier and windy, and the streets are narrower. Santa Cruz is also a decent biking town.
My biggest thing is just looking for cultured, artsy, friendly areas. and places that reasonably safe. I used to live in Tampa but don't really want an area like that again because the crime rate was insane.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 10,684 times
Living in a smallish town agreeable? 60K, mostly elderly, and very creative. look up Yucaipa, CA-- 60 miles to LA, 45 miles to Palm Springs, 60 miles to the ocean, 50 miles to the mountains. Quiet, low crime yet close to more. March ARB is 35 miles away.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM

224 posts, read 495,351 times
Thinking you might like Berkeley, Oakland, Rockridge (part of Oakland). I don't think I'd call Alameda "artsy" but your biking requirements would work there. The Bay Area is expensive though... definitely do some research in Oak/Berk and see what you find.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 PM

14 posts, read 20,018 times
I agree with Berkeley, nicer parts of Oakland or Santa Cruz being terrific options

Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Pretty much everything in the Bay Area and along the coast is safer than Tampa other than some parts of Oakland, and most of it is chill and artsy. Pick out a likely place on the Google map and ask us about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland