Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 15,436 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm 27 yrs old, Russian, straight male. I'm moving alone to San Fran from Miami for a new job which will be in downtown SF. I love the outdoors, I mountain bike, hike, climb, freedive/scuba, spearfish, etc.. In Miami, I did these activities several times a month. I also lived in a quiet low crime neighborhood, which was about 20 mins drive away from the nightlife. I don't party much, so nightlife is not a high priority for me, but it would be nice not to be far from it. I would like to be close to where i can do outdoor stuff. Safety and quiet is a high priority for me as well because I am a light sleeper.

I'll be looking for a studio or 1BR. Parking would be nice but not important since i wont have a car for a while. No pets, just me. Budget is max $2500 per month.

I've done my research and looks like the areas in the north of the peninsula are the best fit:

Marina/Cow Hollow, Pac Heights, Russian Hill, Presidio, Inner/Outer Richmond

Another area i considered is Sausalito, since its close to all the outdoor stuff i like, but it seems like the commute every morning into the city would suck, and the times i want to do something at night I will be bored, unless i decide to commute into the city.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

-Vlad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,149 times
I'd better let others tell you what you can expect in S.F. for $2,500 a month, but feel safe in suggesting that you rule out Sausalito. You can take the ferry to S.F.:

or the bus:

Current Bus Schedules

... but I wouldn't want to rely on either, and the commute by private car to downtown S.F. is as unpleasant as you might expect it to be. And it does sound like you want to get in and out of the city for more than just work.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM

203 posts, read 428,319 times
Too funny, Vlad. I am moving from Miami to SF in the next few weeks. Live in Brickell currently (I live in the Viceroy hotel in the Icon).

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Привет, Володя! Do avoid Sausalito, you don't want to get stuck in the bridge traffic.

Check out the thread here by a guy who can't rent his house, and asks for feedback. He has a studio apartment in a house he's trying to rent. Send him a message asking him if you can rent his studio.

The area around Twin Peaks is nice and the rents are lower. Commuting takes a bit longer from there, but it's a nice area, with hiking around the park at the peaks. Otherwise, you've identified the other good areas. If you want a good home-cooked meal, try Cinderella Bakery on Balboa in Richmond, between 5th and 6th Ave, near GG park. Simple Russian home-cooking, it's where all the local Russkies hang out.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 15,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Too funny, Vlad. I am moving from Miami to SF in the next few weeks. Live in Brickell currently (I live in the Viceroy hotel in the Icon).
Lol, i'm moving during the last week of may, I live in North Miami Beach by Sunny Isles (basically Little Russia)

Any ideas of where you're going to stay in SF?

Quote:
Привет, Володя! Do avoid Sausalito, you don't want to get stuck in the bridge traffic.

Check out the thread here by a guy who can't rent his house, and asks for feedback. He has a studio apartment in a house he's trying to rent. Send him a message asking him if you can rent his studio.

The area around Twin Peaks is nice and the rents are lower. Commuting takes a bit longer from there, but it's a nice area, with hiking around the park at the peaks. Otherwise, you've identified the other good areas. If you want a good home-cooked meal, try Cinderella Bakery on Balboa in Richmond, between 5th and 6th Ave, near GG park. Simple Russian home-cooking, it's where all the local Russkies hang out.
Thanks ill check out the thread!

And thanks for the tip about the Russkie hang out

So far i'm really liking the Marina/Cow Hollow district. Looks clean & beautiful, by the water, good night life, and not too far from GG bridge for the times i want to head out to the Marin Head lands to mountain bike, or up to Napa, or Sonoma for the beaches. Only problem is, availability of apartments, and parking. The parking is no big deal for now as i won't have a car but i do plan to get one soon after i move in.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM

203 posts, read 428,319 times
No clue where we're staying. I'm in consulting so I can live wherever - just as long as it's within a reasonable distance of SFO airport. I'm open for East Bay options as well.

All I know is that I need to leave Miami ASAP...this place is ridiculous.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
Hey all,

I'll be looking for a studio or 1BR. Parking would be nice but not important since i wont have a car for a while. No pets, just me. Budget is max $2500 per month.

I've done my research and looks like the areas in the north of the peninsula are the best fit:

Marina/Cow Hollow, Pac Heights, Russian Hill, Presidio, Inner/Outer Richmond
I would look at those and add these:

- Lower Pacific Heights
- Nob Hill
- North Beach/Telegraph Hill
- Nob Hill
- Hayes Valley
- area around Dolores Park and Duboce Park
- Noe Valley

All are pretty close to downtown so your commute will be easy. Honestly I wouldn't look at the Richmond District or Sunset District, both are very foggy year-round and further from downtown so your commute would be more of a drag. Maybe look at them if you can't get an apartment closer to downtown due to how competitive the SF rentals market is right now.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Noe Valley
Cole Valley
Inner Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Honestly I wouldn't look at the Richmond District or Sunset District, both are very foggy year-round and further from downtown so your commute would be more of a drag.
When I worked in Potrero Hill, a couple of my coworkers lived in the Outer Sunset and it took them 45 minutes to drive the four or five miles to the office.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 PM

157 posts, read 332,549 times
There is also a Russian Bakery place off Geary & 19th in the Richmond area, not sure if that's defined as inner or outer...But tasty treats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland