Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrod Polarbears View Post
Too many of the Occupiers are well off suburban trash that come into the city to pretend they have a purpose. I'd happily run them over with my car.
Factual source for your claim? -- other than "The Knee-Jerk Tribune", that is ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
+1

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Factual source for your claim? -- other than "The Knee-Jerk Tribune", that is ...
The fact is, a lot of the protesters are from Oakland as well. It's not "all" out of towners.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM

+1

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I think that goes back to my point in my post. You can hold an iPhone, you see the value in it (whether imagined or actual), what you paid for is what you get, and what you wanted (hopefully).

With Wall Street it's different. When Bank of America charges you a $35 overdraft fee because you couldn't remember that you only had $5.32 left in your checking account when you bought that $6 drink from Starbucks, it tends to **** people off a lot more than overpaying for a Chinese manufactured cell phone.

Whether that makes sense or not is anyone's opinion.
Um...I find myself agreeing with you on this point.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Um...I find myself agreeing with you on this point.
Trust me, no matter what your income becomes, it still hurts when it feels like someone is unfairly pilfering your pocket.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Either way, I'm sick of them. And so are 99% of Oaklanders
The real 99%...

I'm 99% tired of them and 1% willing to buy them some "new" clothes from the Salvation Army. They might just land a job at Starbucks on Shattuck in Berkeley (I think there's one on that stretch) for a whopping $9/hour, but a start's a start.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Trust me, no matter what your income becomes, it still hurts when it feels like someone is unfairly pilfering your pocket.
Do you selectively ignore/unignore people depending on what they post?

Serious question here

Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
If you think that the Occupy movement hasn't had any effect, consider the dialogue of this thread.
I kind of agree with this statement. The Occupy movement has certainly made me think.

At the moment I'm kind of on the fence. I'm trying to see all sides in order to make an informed decision.

The distorted distribution of wealth in this country is something which bothers me hugely on a day to day basis. In the Bay Area it could not be more blatant.
I do think that something needs to change and the Occupy Movement has definitely woken people up to that.

However, the Silicon Valley article I highlighted earlier, addresses one of the issues I'm having trouble with. (Here's the link again: Why Are There No 1 Percent Occupy Protests in Silicon Valley?)

Are the Occupy Movement venting their frustration on the right people?
As far as I understand you need to earn in the region of $344,000 to be in the top 1%. Granted, more then 99% of us could ever dream of earning. But that's one in every hundred people. That's a lot of people being blamed here. Has every single one of these people earned this by unfair means? By targeting everyone that earns over $344,000 are you not stifling the desire for success?

I've been looking in to what these 1 percenters do:
What the Top 1% of Earners Majored In - NYTimes.com
Seems to me a lot of these people have Science degrees?
Also interesting to note that among chief executives, fewer than one in five rank among the 1 percent.

For me the focus seems to have shifted away from Wall Street and Giant Corporations and on to just anyone in the top 1%, although not towards Silicon Valley as yet. I wonder if that is just a matter of time?

I keep hearing "Occupiers don't oppose wealth, they oppose powerful people". Seems to me they do oppose wealth, otherwise why target the whole top 1% with one blanket? I think they need to refocus.

From what I understand, its not actually the 1 percenters that hold all the power, and that the power, wealth and income are super-concentrated in the top 0.1%, (that's one in a thousand, not one on every hundred).

I don't know what the answer is - I'm still trying to form a decision, but for me the focus should be on the tax that people pay rather than the people themselves. Why aren't people coming down harder on the government about this? Seems to me there is something inherently wrong with the system here. If someone could shed some light on that I'd be grateful.

(Please I'd appreciate not having a slanging match - I'm just trying to understand what is going on here).

Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
The occupy movement is a joke... trashing businesses, ports and public works helps the 99% HOW? By preventing them from going to work? By shutting down an employer for days or weeks so no employees get paid? They are really a bunch of idiots that need to go jump off a bridge. I'm a Democrat, but these idiots are worse than the Tea Baggers. Initially, I thought the movement was about getting corporate money out of government, but in reality, it's just a confused mess of lazy idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland