Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I've read almost every single one of his posts on this thread and do get his viewpoint. I wasn't responding to just one post. Maybe you haven't read or understood them. It seems pretty clear to me that he thinks there is justification for the occupiers' behavior, which I completely disagree with.

My perspective is that there is zero justification for the way occupy protesters have been behaving and they're doing nothing to help their cause. Explain to me how camping out in random places and taking over buildings and leaving a path of destruction behind is an any way promoting positive change.

I get what started the Occupy Movement and what it was all about. Now, I don't think anybody gets what these morons are trying to accomplish.
No, you don't get my viewpoint -- at all. Completely missed it. Go back and find one place where I have ever supported these Occupy protests as we see them happening.

I'll wait .........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And, as usual, the 98% majority of people, who either feel impotent in the face of the rape and pillage of society by the wealthiest 1%ers, or who are just too lazy and self-satisfied to get out of their recliners, turn to vilification of the easy targets: the opposite 1%-punks who actually do little to no harm to the system or planet -- they are just temporarily disruptive and irritating briefly here and there.

What am I missing? It seems pretty clear that you don't think the problems caused by the occupunks are a big deal.

...temporarily disruptive and briefly irritating? Seriously? Do you live under a rock?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
What am I missing? It seems pretty clear that you don't think the problems caused by the occupunks are a big deal.

...temporarily disruptive and briefly irritating? Seriously? Do you live under a rock?
Umm, there are apparently people in Oakland who don't think the riots are a big deal. Some who even said "they were no big deal", and bragged about going to a concert while the riots were going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408
"Major Riots" Encompassed 2-3 blocks. I live about 1.5 miles from the "major riots" and it was business as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408
"During the thick of Occupy I went to a concert at the Fox, walked over to the Kinko's in the middle of City Center, and barely saw anything...
Quote:
A bunch of morons are throwing rocks at the cops, nothing more.
I'm not saying I agree with them, but I find it funny that you don't take issue with the people who actually live in Oakland and think the riots aren't a big deal.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:

What you are entirely missing is the word "temporarily", in this case ... though you appear to be completely missing, well, pretty much everything else, as well.

How long have you / we all been living with the disruption of the economy caused by investment bankers and other 'high rollers'? But a few days of destructive, adolescent antics downtown is what you rant about. The present "Occupiers" are a bunch of angry punks who can be squashed like bugs any time it becomes truly necessary.

Who are the people destroying our real freedoms? Manipulating the world's wealth to the common man's detriment? Destroying the environment we all rely on for our very lives, as well as our pleasures? Producing the toxic products you buy and use daily because you have been conditioned to accept them as necessary? Who creates the wars that kill and maime our servicemen and women and incalculable numbers of civilians?

You live with the above destructive forces everyday for your entire life.

Which is temporary?

Which is controllable?

Yet you vent with passion against which group?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I live less than a mile from downtown and the worst that I've noticed all day is the familiar drone of the helicopters. I took BART home and I forgot there was even a protest going on.

I didnt even realize it was a protest. My day went unaffected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yeah Oakland Police do know how to handle protesters. Shooting tear gas into crowds, firing rubber bullets into innocent civilians, and knocking pregnant women on the ground, and nearly $60,000,000 in misconduct settlements in the past decade, all the while murders in Oakland are up 26 percent over a year ago, rapes are up 41 percent, and robberies are up 35 percent. Truly a department that sets a good example.
The Occupy Movement is pointless, directionless and ineffective. Period.

Oakland has a 100-Block initiative, which concentrates law enforcement and social services within the 100 most dangerous blocks of Oakland, where 92% of all violent crime occur. BTW, the 100 blocks only constitute 5% of the entire city. This strategy is a work in progress, but it is sometimes critized, only because the city does not have sufficient resources. (understaffed policing)

Since crime is increasing, it makes no sense that Oakland has to focus its policing efforts and resources towards a protest, whos only goal is to stomp, yell, destroy, and cause millions of dollars worth of damage.

So, besides serving as a distraction and public nuisance, what is the Occupy Movement actually doing for the City of Oakland?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
The only people these 'riots' seem to be affecting are the people who are directly participating in them, concentrated in few small blocks downtown. Well, besides the innocent small business owners who are losing money- I genuinely feel bad for them.

Oh yeah, and those few sick individuals who have some bizarre on-line obsession with a city they don't even live in...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Tactics used to endlessly engage:

Accuse the person of watering down what they know. Make them believe they're delusional despite having seen it.

Buzz words: riots for example. Rioting and fringe violence in a protest ARE NOT the same thing.

Deflect: Talk about other non related issues as a distraction. In this case, other problems concerning the city of Oakland.

General accusations: Pointing out that others have remembered your posts too well or that some were not involved in another thread. Also basically all of the above fit into here.

My advice. respond once and if it goes nowhere, don't feed the trolls. They're here to purposely waste our time.

Last edited by Gentoo; 05-02-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yes, good points and ideas. Now, who's going to get started on making those things happen?
Education begins at home, and within one's own social circles.
These tactics of smashing people's property and possessions (necessary for them to carry out their daily lives and support themselves) further promote infighting between the subjugated.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Education begins at home, and within one's own social circles.
Now can you at least admit these tactics of smashing people's property and possessions (necessary for them to carry out their daily lives and support themselves) further promote infighting between the subjugated?
I'm pretty sure from reading his posts that he doesn't agree with these actions (although, I can't speak for him)...

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm pretty sure from reading his posts that he doesn't agree with these actions (although, I can't speak for him)...
I edited my post to make it less personal after reading further in the thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland