Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,317,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king georges View Post
Right So you're picking and choosing where it happens to justify how ridiculous it is, meanwhile you make all of Oakland out as if it's all like the slums of East Oakland, but San Francisco it's all about the Neighborhood. Do you work for the SF Comical? That's what they do.
1. the giants lost the 02 world series. how many riots were there in sf?
2. compare that to the raiders losing to tampa in the superbowl.

combine the 03 ws loss with the 2010 ws win and it doesnt come close to the damage caused by the rioting in oakland after the raiders lost the superbowl.
theres scumbags in every city. they just come out more often in oakland. not even worth arguing otherwise so dont try it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,535,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
yes ignore the first part of that list, the fact that the crowd are more into the game than they are at the coliseum. it doesnt even feel like you're at a professional baseball game when you're in oakland, its a joke.
and the point i was making is that the oakland arent a 'bay area' team in the sense that the warriors are a 'bay area' team.. a's are an oakland team, and look what pathetic crowds an oakland team draws.
at&t park is loud and has a fun atmosphere before/during/after the game. the coliseum feels like visiting an old museum nobody wants to go to. its cold, unwelcoming, quiet.. depressing. even those sad 2$ bart/hotdog tickets dont attract people.
What are you talking about? I didn't ignore the first part of that list at all and addressed it in my post. Let me repeat if for you again, A's fans are just as into the game as you don't go unless you really love that team and baseball, it's not some nice stadium where you stroll around and look at the water and play with the kids under a cheesy Coke bottle. Per capita, I'd say the A's might even have an advantage but the Giants just have so many more in attendance by default there will be more people paying attention to the game. I remember going to a game last year and some dumb broad asking "where's Posey" well after he had been injured. Giants fans are so into the game that's why they give away TEXTING GLOVES for their fans! haha. I remember at last Friday's game the TV showing a bunch of chicks walking in wedding attire because one of the girls was having a bachlorette party their. I'm sure they were glued to the field!

Yes the Coliseum sucks, thanks for stating the obvious for the 100th time as if no one wasn't aware of that. And I've been to the $2 Wed's where they've sold out and the 2nd deck has been packed, so yes that actually does bring people to the Coliseum. But go ahead and keep harping on the Coliseum and it's current attendance issues but when you have less past success in winning that's all you got pretty much.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
at&t park is loud and has a fun atmosphere before/during/after the game. the coliseum feels like visiting an old museum nobody wants to go to. its cold, unwelcoming, quiet.. depressing. even those sad 2$ bart/hotdog tickets dont attract people.
One is a new ballpark on the water. The other is old and decrepit.

But that doesn't have anything to do with the attendance disparities, does it?

But let's focus on the real issue here: Let's compare Raider fans to Giants fans. A most pertinent pursuit.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,332,308 times
The city wouldnt even let the 49ers build in one of its most depressed areas.

Anyone else remember this hard fought and eventually defeated proposal:

Furthermore, this is from today's Chronicle:
Even with City Hall's support, the Warriors' owners will need to convince the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission and the California State Lands Commission, which both oversee waterfront development on public land.

Winning their approval could be difficult. State law has strict "public trust" requirements for building on the waterfront that prioritizes open space, the maintenance of views of the water and maritime usage. Lewis said a basketball arena doesn't fit any of that and could easily be built farther inland.

Gunnar Lundeberg, president of the Sailors' Union of the Pacific, said Piers 30-32 are among the few in the bay that sit next to deep water and that they should be preserved for usage by ships.

"Although I'm not opposed to an arena, why put it there?" he said. "It's just like another nail in the coffin of maritime San Francisco, whatever's left of it."

Warriors face many hurdles in building S.F. arena | Page 2 of 2

Now that I think about it, it wouldnt be a surprise if Warriors owners are using SF as an excuse to say that they tried their best and now cant build anywhere in SF and so the team is moving to HP Arena in SJ to be near corporate sponsors.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,037,323 times
^
Oaklanders wish this project would fail in a slim hope that they would remain in Oakland. Yes, it's difficult to build huge projects in SF (mainly sports facilities). What you failed to mention, which is very important in this case, is that this project will be privately financed. The mayor supports it, the supervisors support it, and the residents support it. In your example of the Niners, they wanted a big chunk of it paid by the taxpayers. NOT in my backyard! The Giants ballpark was voted down three times. Twice in SF and once in the southbay. Why? All three of those ballots wanted to use public dollars.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Now that I think about it, it wouldnt be a surprise if Warriors owners are using SF as an excuse to say that they tried their best and now cant build anywhere in SF and so the team is moving to HP Arena in SJ to be near corporate sponsors.
Unless the vaGiants claim territory...oh, wait, they can't - different league. But it would be fun to see them try.

Actually, the Warriors are giving them at least as much of a headache as the A's: One team wants to move into their alleged "territory", the other wants to move right up the block! Oh the humanity!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
^
Oaklanders wish this project would fail in a slim hope that they would remain in Oakland. Yes, it's difficult to build huge projects in SF (mainly sports facilities). What you failed you mention, which is very important in this case, is that this project will be privately financed. The mayor supports it, the supervisors support it, and the residents support it. In your example of the Niners, they wanted a big chunk of it paid by the taxpayers. NOT in my backyard! The Giants ballpark was voted down three times. Twice in SF and once in the southbay. Why? All three of those ballots wanted to use public dollars.

There is definitely a lot of Oakland booster club bad apple syndrome occurring in this thread.

The funny thing is this would help the franchise and give more limelight to the Bay Area in general. How can you wish for the project to fail? The Warriors staying in Oakland does nothing for the franchise, as proven by the past 15 years.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Yeah the Giants are worried about the Warriors being their neighbors. That's just silly.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM

I see the same theme here:

Anyone that has a different opinion = must be a troll.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,535,299 times
One good thing that could come out of this is that it lights a fire under Oakland City Leaders as*ses to actually start doing something and preventing anymore teams from leaving, especially the A's as their identity seems to be tied to Oakland more so than any other team in the region. I just hope they don't focus all their efforts on trying to get the Warriors back and do nothing on the A's issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland