Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

San Francisco is actually one of the most RACIST cities on the U.S.

Yes, many, MANY blacks were run out of San Francisco during Mayor Allioto's Yerba Buena "Urban Renewal" days. But that's an old story. Truth is, the blacks that were left were the very poor (Hunter's Point, Sunnydale/Oakdale) and the few very well off.

The black middle class and working class got pushed out.
The Filmore was predominately black and it ran from north and south between Market and Pine Streets and east and west between Goughand Masonic. Those areas hold few (disempowered) blacks now.

San Francisco is "Liberal" mainly when it comes to sex and drugs.
But it's a very economically racist city.

I'm black and in my late 50s.
I got stopped a few days ago on Market Street in the middle of a weekday because I was running errands between Powell and around First Street.

I just returned from Japan and I was exchanging money while waiting for a bank person to return from lunch. Two plain clothes policemen stopped me and asked for my driver's license, ran a check on me, and said I was acting suspiciously because I'd been walking up and down the street speaking to people!

I used to be a social worker and you can bet that if I'm standing at a crosswalk waiting for light to change and a homeless person or someone who looks interesting is next to me, I'm going to usually say, "what's up" or something.

They told me that's how drug dealers act.
The dealer supposedly takes an order, runs to an ATM, goes and picks up his stash, etc...

I told the taller butt-whipe that his profiling was racist.
They then told me, no... "You'd be surprised. There's (rich white) guys from Pacific Heights who come down and sell Ectasy before raves..." and then he said: "... there's pimps out here older than you!"

(That actually made me feel better... for some reason... hey ... I can actually start a new career at 60!)

The hell with San Francisco.
If it's now illegal to talk to people, this is not a city, state, nor country I want to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 AM

46 posts, read 78,706 times
In 10 years San Francisco is going to look like Carmel, or Napa. Those places have beautiful scenery but are empty on most weekday days and nights. They shut down early. Google and Facebook pick up all of their young workers in SF, drive them to work, feed them for free all day long only to return to SF around 6 or 7 full of grub. How is that good for the SF economy? You'll begin to see a lot of restaurants close for lunch M through F. Those people drive up rents, push out families, and spend all day trying to figure out how to sell your personal information all for the sake of advertising revenue. The reason I mention this because I would walk by these Google bus lines every day and it seemed to be 70%white male, 20% white female and maybe 10% asian. I've never seen a black person in those lines. Trust me you don't have to be a genius to figure out how to sell google web history to advertisers. Google's code was written years ago.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
San Francisco is actually one of the most RACIST cities on the U.S.

Yes, many, MANY blacks were run out of San Francisco during Mayor Allioto's Yerba Buena "Urban Renewal" days. But that's an old story. Truth is, the blacks that were left were the very poor (Hunter's Point, Sunnydale/Oakdale) and the few very well off.

The black middle class and working class got pushed out.
The Filmore was predominately black and it ran from north and south between Market and Pine Streets and east and west between Goughand Masonic. Those areas hold few (disempowered) blacks now.

San Francisco is "Liberal" mainly when it comes to sex and drugs.
But it's a very economically racist city.

I'm black and in my late 50s.
I got stopped a few days ago on Market Street in the middle of a weekday because I was running errands between Powell and around First Street.

I just returned from Japan and I was exchanging money while waiting for a bank person to return from lunch. Two plain clothes policemen stopped me and asked for my driver's license, ran a check on me, and said I was acting suspiciously because I'd been walking up and down the street speaking to people!

I used to be a social worker and you can bet that if I'm standing at a crosswalk waiting for light to change and a homeless person or someone who looks interesting is next to me, I'm going to usually say, "what's up" or something.

They told me that's how drug dealers act.
The dealer supposedly takes an order, runs to an ATM, goes and picks up his stash, etc...

I told the taller butt-whipe that his profiling was racist.
They then told me, no... "You'd be surprised. There's (rich white) guys from Pacific Heights who come down and sell Ectasy before raves..." and then he said: "... there's pimps out here older than you!"

(That actually made me feel better... for some reason... hey ... I can actually start a new career at 60!)

The hell with San Francisco.
If it's now illegal to talk to people, this is not a city, state, nor country I want to live in.
What you just described describes the type of racial profiling that literally EVERY police department in the nation does. Yeah it's stupid, but why point fingers at SF alone?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
What you just described describes the type of racial profiling that literally EVERY police department in the nation does. Yeah it's stupid, but why point fingers at SF alone?
Experience suggests white people in black neighborhoods get pulled aside as well...for appearing to be on the opposite side of the suspected transaction described. Cops just like to heckle most people they don't recognize on their beat, as long as they don't look too rich or important.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Bigdumbgod why don't you go ahead a justify the profiling of Travon Martin of Florida while you are at it. Experience suggests that people with 'dumb' in their profile name are actually dumb.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
Bigdumbgod why don't you go ahead a justify the profiling of Travon Martin of Florida while you are at it. Experience suggests that people with 'dumb' in their profile name are actually dumb.
What the hell are you divebombing these threads with your inane BS for anyway? Out of what orifice do you extract anything about Trevon Martin from any previous posts? GTFO and troll the NY threads already, kid.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 AM

bigdumbgod you sir are an idiot. Veganwriter said that he was stopped in the middle of the day in a black neighborhood for doing errands. So today a black man in his 50's can't even use an ATM in a black neighborhood without being profiled? We all know that most police officers and firefighters in SF do not live there. So they come to San Francisco on a daily basis for work and just assume all black people are evil. Yes SF has Black neighborhoods, but it's mostly section 8 housing in Hunter's Point or western addition. So the answer to the original posters question is yes SF has black people left, just poor ones. So go ahead and try to defend your crappy town. SF pisses me off on many different levels and I'm going to tell anyone who asks just how crappy it is.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
bigdumbgod you sir are an idiot. Veganwriter said that he was stopped in the middle of the day in a black neighborhood for doing errands. So today a black man in his 50's can't even use an ATM in a black neighborhood without being profiled? We all know that most police officers and firefighters in SF do not live there. So they come to San Francisco on a daily basis for work and just assume all black people are evil. Yes SF has Black neighborhoods, but it's mostly section 8 housing in Hunter's Point or western addition. So the answer to the original posters question is yes SF has black people left, just poor ones. So go ahead and try to defend your crappy town. SF pisses me off on many different levels and I'm going to tell anyone who asks just how crappy it is.

Black men of any age get profiled by the police in black neighborhoods all over the country. What are you even talking about?

And regardless the area he was in is not a black neighborhood in any way shape or form. You're thinking of mid-market which is on the other side of Powell Street.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king georges View Post
Isnt this trolling?
'Tis the very definition.

"I'm gonna troll wherever I want, and everybody has to just put up with it. So there."
-signed,
yet another Nu Yawkah squawking about SF

Seems we've heard this stuff before...

Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 PM

Call it trolling, call it whatever you want. But just try and justify a counter argument by saying that black men get profiled all the time and it should be expected. San Francisco just might be the most overrated city in America. Why should SFPD profile blacks when the only blacks left are homeless, poor and disenfranchised. Because they can. They should go to Marina and SOMA clubs and profile white people doing cocaine lines in the bathroom instead. It would be a better revenue generator for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland