Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 AM

29 posts, read 32,991 times

Advertisements

haha i grew up in Camden NJ Cvan i know what you mean, people say the Tenderloin and Oakland are scary, Mind you Oakland isnt scary, they are just nuts, What other city do you know have people tried to break into a Navy Arsenal. But yeah Camden, Atlantic City, Trenton, Newark, Elizabeth, **** even Union City, Piscataway, and Asbury Park are more dangerous then any part of the Bay Area.

Go to LA though and the majority of LA rivals Newark and Camden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM

30,387 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpippo View Post
BWAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

I guess you have never been to Europe or even NYC and Miami for that matter.
I've been to all of the above, and find them a bit "stuffy" in terms of dress... sure, they're nice dressers, but I like California's casual style a bit more. Just my opinion, probably skewed by 25 years on the west coast. But I'm originally from the east, and always think this of my relatives back there. Oh, and somebody mentioned "San Francisco black" - we're practically Rainbow Bright compared to New York!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy22 View Post
haha i grew up in Camden NJ Cvan i know what you mean, people say the Tenderloin and Oakland are scary, Mind you Oakland isnt scary, they are just nuts, What other city do you know have people tried to break into a Navy Arsenal. But yeah Camden, Atlantic City, Trenton, Newark, Elizabeth, **** even Union City, Piscataway, and Asbury Park are more dangerous then any part of the Bay Area.

We do have our bad neighborhoods here, but you're right - they don't compare to some other places. I used to be scared to venture into Bayview/Hunter's Point, thinking I'd be shot on site (pictured Boyz N' the Hood, LOL)... then I ended up renting a place just a few blocks away, and was pleasantly surprised. I still wouldn't wander through certain streets at night, but otherwise it's not too bad. I go there on a regular basis to shop & work out, and haven't had a problem yet! Most of the people there are harmless, and are simply stuck in a bad place... just don't try to buy crack or join a gang, and you'll likely be left alone.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,292,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy22 View Post

I have family in Camden and the poverty in Oakland does not even compare to Camden. However the crime in Oakland is still out of control. I don't know how to say what is worse but there is alot of crime in oakland. I live in a decent area downtown and hear gunshots twice a week. Camden LOOKS alot worse as does Newark but the same exact things go on. Actually alot of West Oakland looks and reminds me of camden.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:51 PM

374 posts, read 1,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscore View Post
Hey that's cool and all, but what pisses me off is when people start dressing like this to work. I work for a dot-com, but still c'mon! if there's no dress code, doesn't mean you have to dress all the way down! NYC is def. not like this.
Well I wear a suit and tie every day, so if I could wear t-shirts, jeans and sandals to work, I'd jump for joy

Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM

146 posts, read 643,877 times
sandals belong at the beach. period.

i can understand if you're living in a beach community (i.e. Pacific/Mission/Ocean Beach in San Diego) where every other store is a surf-shop, but in san francisco downtown? c'mon.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM

358 posts, read 1,917,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We do have our bad neighborhoods here, but you're right - they don't compare to some other places. I used to be scared to venture into Bayview/Hunter's Point, thinking I'd be shot on site (pictured Boyz N' the Hood, LOL)... then I ended up renting a place just a few blocks away, and was pleasantly surprised. I still wouldn't wander through certain streets at night, but otherwise it's not too bad. I go there on a regular basis to shop & work out, and haven't had a problem yet! Most of the people there are harmless, and are simply stuck in a bad place... just don't try to buy crack or join a gang, and you'll likely be left alone.
How is the noise? This may sound odd but my biggest concern with considering moving to a poorer urban neighborhood is the potential noise disturbance. Having to hear boom cars while in my home, basically. Or maybe the boom car thing is just still a Midwestern white male fad? God I hope so.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
How is the noise? This may sound odd but my biggest concern with considering moving to a poorer urban neighborhood is the potential noise disturbance. Having to hear boom cars while in my home, basically. Or maybe the boom car thing is just still a Midwestern white male fad? God I hope so.
My street is fairly quiet, but do we hear noise in the distance... the freeway's only about 5 blocks away, so you can hear a "hum" if you're sitting outside. We also live right next to Bayview/Hunter's Point (the bad neighborhood), so we'll occasionally hear gunshots & police/fire sirens. But aside from that, it's surprisingly quiet - BOOMING cars are rare, no people shouting, or anything like that. But it really depends on your exact location, since some are definitely noisier than others... if you're downtown at Civic Center, or near the Castro night-clubs, don't expect peace & quiet too often.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 AM

Oh wait, I see you were specifically asking about the BAD parts of town - right? I'm on the edge, so we don't hear the real Bayview noise... but I've been through many times at night, and it's not that noisy even in the worst parts. You probably will hear some "bumping" cars, but I don't think it would be a constant nuisance.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:01 AM

55 posts, read 171,241 times
Default my own post

Thank you guys, i look at alls response and they're great. I like the education go hand in hand with liberalism, and talks about bad neighborhood, and the millitary recuriters are no longer around there. Correct me if i get this wrong, So what i get about SAn Francisco is that its, libreal, openminded, accpetance, quirky, independent thinkers, people are real, laid back/casual dressing, diverse, trendy at times, and oh a place with of beauty. This is why i don't need to visit, because all what you guys describe, i feel i am, man keeep the comments coming. I hope to be there in a year to join the fun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland