Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

The rap scene up North is raw, just like the mean streetz of Napa where I grew up. You cross a brotha wrong and he'll pour you an inferior vintage at your next tasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The rap scene up North is raw, just like the mean streetz of Napa where I grew up. You cross a brotha wrong and he'll pour you an inferior vintage at your next tasting.
Char-Doh-Nay Massive, cold chillin' in effect, yo!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 AM

182 posts, read 323,290 times
There isn't much of a music scene in Santa Rosa period. Hip hop, metal, folk, you name it, it's just not really there. I've asked myself why more than once and cannot come up with a good reason. There is enough cheap living and artistic energy in the city (4th St, JC area, railroad SQ) where you'd think it would breed some type music movement, but it's almost completely absent.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 AM

159 posts, read 491,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
There isn't much of a music scene in Santa Rosa period. Hip hop, metal, folk, you name it, it's just not really there. I've asked myself why more than once and cannot come up with a good reason. There is enough cheap living and artistic energy in the city (4th St, JC area, railroad SQ) where you'd think it would breed some type music movement, but it's almost completely absent.
I totally agree. I... can't think of any metal bands from Santa Rosa... there should be at least one underground one. I know there are a few but they're so unknown I can't remember their names. I can't think of any other musicians from the area either. There are people like Les Claypool (Primus frontman) and Tom Waits who own property in Sonoma County, but they're not originally from here.

Also there's some underground rappers but none of them make it big. They just get a couple thousand views on YT and that's it. Some are really talented though.

The Railroad Square/downtown area would seem like an urban-ish area that would be home to a community of indie musicians or something, but yeah.. doesn't exist. Really weird

Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Santa Rosa in general? The southwest part of Santa Rosa is over 50% Hispanic, and about 50% of the kindergartners in SR are Hispanic now, or at least a few years ago from an article I read in the local paper. Not that white bread anymore, but Rincon Valley is definitely more Caucasian than anything else. Rincon Valley is definitely one of the better areas of Santa Rosa. Boring, but it's nice and quiet and the beautiful scenery of Wine Country is a short drive away.
Yeah, I haven't lived there for 25 years.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Likely answer

Because there are not enough people in that region who prefer music which celebrates ignorance.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lol what a joke. go listen to "atmosphere" and other corny ass backpack nerd music. lol sage Francis and other cornball music
Translation="I don't know sh*t about music"

I kid I kid

Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
As other posters mentioned Ray Luv is from Santa Rosa and maybe a few other obscure underground rappers from the 90's. But some Bay Area Rap legends actually do hail from suburban towns. Spice 1 grew up in Hayward and was NOT from Oakland. 2pac lived in Marin City, primarily. Marin City is definitely the hood though. The only other notable rap group from Marin City was a group called 5150.

But no, Santa Rosa is in no way a hotbed city for Hip Hop in the Bay. Oakland, San Francisco, Vallejo and Richmond all have produced hundreds of rappers from the 80's to the present. However, from a national standpoint, most people who are not from California do not even know SF, proper, even had a prolific Rap scene because San Francisco never had a huge big name cross over rapper like Oakland's Too $hort or Vallejo's E-40 or Richmond's Master P. Rappin' 4 Tay and RBL Posse are looked at as obscure one-hit wonders to Hip Hop historians outside of the Bay, whereas such SF rappers are revered as legends in the Bay.

All in all, I agree with what others have already said. Ultimately, Hip Hop is the musical poetry of the ghetto. Oakland, Richmond, Frisco and Vallejo all have hella ghetto areas. Santa Rosa? Not so much. Most Bay Area Hip Hop, historically, was raw underground mob music inspired by the insanity of the inner city produced for the block and by the block slapping underneath the mainstream radar going platinum in the ghetto. From my understanding, Santa Rosa doesn't really have a real ghetto to produce such music.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 05-17-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
lol master P is not from richmond. wtf. ask yukmouth

Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lol master P is not from richmond. wtf. ask yukmouth

He got his career and record label started in Richmond. I don't think goldenchild meant he's actually from there... everybody knows he's from New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland