Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM

554 posts, read 1,152,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Bike rack on car. I've done it before (and still do it from time to time). It's actually quite easy. Just offering a suggestion.

The oyster point shuttle is open to many different companies:
So. San Francisco-Oyster Pt BART
So. San Francisco-Oyster Pt BART

Perhaps the OP wasn't familiar with them (as it sounds like they're moving to the region, you would assume they wouldn't know everything about the area).
Yes! This is helpful. Potential job location is on Oyster Blvd or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,055,003 times
If there's no shuttle you're pretty much out of luck. I really wish more employers and the people who build their offices would set up corporate offices next to public transit stations rather than somewhere inconvenient by a clogged-up highway like 101 or whatever.

You definitely can bike if you want to try it, but trying to do it during most of winter and early spring would be an annoyance because it usually rains a lot from around late November to May, and biking in the rain sucks. Also until daylight savings time switches over in March it gets dark in the Bay Area around 5pm, so if you have to bike after then it will be more dangerous.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM

10,511 posts, read 6,131,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I wasn't clear maybe?

Say we live in, oh, Walnut Creek. Job is in South SF. He drives to the BART in Walnut Creek, parks car (no?), take BART and arrives in South SF. Job site is not close. Now what?
South San Francisco is inconvenient for the BART.

I have one other possible solution for you.

If you are considering living in the East Bay, a long awaited ferry from Jack London Square to Oyster Point in South San Francisco starts up on the 4th June:

Welcome to the Oyster Point Marina/Park, South San Francisco, CA, USA, San Mateo County Harbor District

(You do need to get yourself to Jack London Square though.)

We live in the East Bay. My husband works for Genentech. If this is the company your husband is considering working for there are a few other options for commuting:
Shuttle bus direct from East Bay
Bart / shuttle bus
Car pool / shuttle bus
Drive (35 minutes before 7am and after 10am)
and now Drive / ferry

I think there are a number of other companies in the area that also provide shuttles.

Everyone told us not to live in the East Bay because they said the commute would be a disaster. It isn't that bad depending on where you are.
Personally, I wouldn't consider living in Walnut Creek though. People do it, but I think the commute is just too far from there, and if you ever do need to drive, you have the Caldecott tunnel to contend with, which would just make the journey too long.
PM me if you would need more in depth details on the various pick up points.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
South San Francisco is inconvenient for the BART.

I have one other possible solution for you.

If you are considering living in the East Bay, a long awaited ferry from Jack London Square to Oyster Point in South San Francisco starts up on the 4th June:

Welcome to the Oyster Point Marina/Park, South San Francisco, CA, USA, San Mateo County Harbor District

(You do need to get yourself to Jack London Square though.)

Excellent! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
We live in the East Bay. My husband works for Genentech. If this is the company your husband is considering working for there are a few other options for commuting:
Shuttle bus direct from East Bay
Bart / shuttle bus
Car pool / shuttle bus
Drive (35 minutes before 7am and after 10am)
and now Drive / ferry

I think there are a number of other companies in the area that also provide shuttles.

Everyone told us not to live in the East Bay because they said the commute would be a disaster. It isn't that bad depending on where you are.
Personally, I wouldn't consider living in Walnut Creek though. People do it, but I think the commute is just too far from there, and if you ever do need to drive, you have the Caldecott tunnel to contend with, which would just make the journey too long.
PM me if you would need more in depth details on the various pick up points.
Not Genetech. I tossed out the location of Walnut Creek because I remembered it being an area with a better chance to find housing that accepts pets and still has good schools for the kids. Definitely not set on this, by any means.

Husband will be there early next month for an on site interview. Exciting and scary (for me). This is a huge possible relocation for a relative (and self described) homebody

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,344,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I wasn't clear maybe?

Say we live in, oh, Walnut Creek. Job is in South SF. He drives to the BART in Walnut Creek, parks car (no?), take BART and arrives in South SF. Job site is not close. Now what?
SAMTRANS.

Also, some companies / business parks have their own shuttles.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,002,522 times
Also in case people don't know, during rush hours some trains don't allow bikes on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
If there's no shuttle you're pretty much out of luck. I really wish more employers and the people who build their offices would set up corporate offices next to public transit stations rather than somewhere inconvenient by a clogged-up highway like 101 or whatever.

You definitely can bike if you want to try it, but trying to do it during most of winter and early spring would be an annoyance because it usually rains a lot from around late November to May, and biking in the rain sucks. Also until daylight savings time switches over in March it gets dark in the Bay Area around 5pm, so if you have to bike after then it will be more dangerous.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,067,272 times

Folding bicycle. Geeky chic.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,890,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Also in case people don't know, during rush hours some trains don't allow bikes on it.
Yes, this was mentioned already:

If he didn't have to commute during rush hour on BART (Weekdays approximately 7:05 to 8:50 am and 4:25 to 6:45 pm), he could bring a bike and (assuming the workplace is about 1-3 miles away) easily bike the remaining distance to work. Also, folding bikes are allowed on BART at all hours.

BART - Bike Rules

Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 34,379 times
511.org will tell you if bus is possible.
Transit planner.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM

This is all very helpful, thank you!

Right now I really don't know where we might be commuting *from*- that depends I guess on what we can find in our (as yet unknown) budget with two kids and many pets

I imagine his hours will be flexible and early, early out the door to beat traffic is something that he has done before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland