Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM

94 posts, read 132,297 times

Advertisements

Is California a good state to become a Carpenter ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodster View Post
Is California a good state to become a Carpenter ???
There are a lot of illegals here. I would think that they would cut into your prospects.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Most illegals don't have carpentry skill. Heavy lifting, yes; ask them to install crown moldings and they wouldn't know where to start.

The answer is: Yes, if you're good at it.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
If you are mexican, yes. Otherwise, forget it.

A few well connected americans do carpenter work for rich folks. But most work is done by illegals here, and the poor quality shows.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
There is plenty work for carpenters in the Bay Area.

And what's with the illegal immigrant posts???

My experience, having lived in Mexico, is that most Mexican men are very multi-talented handymen. Most learn to do all different types of work, from beautiful gardens to roofing to tile work. As with any workers, some are better or more experienced than others. But to say Mexicans only know how to do heavy lifting is simply ignorant. To put it nicely.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
Its reality. If you see a white guy on a work sight, he is the contractor or knows the contractor.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There is plenty work for carpenters in the Bay Area.

And what's with the illegal immigrant posts???

My experience, having lived in Mexico, is that most Mexican men are very multi-talented handymen. Most learn to do all different types of work, from beautiful gardens to roofing to tile work. As with any workers, some are better or more experienced than others. But to say Mexicans only know how to do heavy lifting is simply ignorant. To put it nicely.

There is a BIG difference between handymen and carpenters. Carpentry skill is not something that a person acquires easily, at least not at a professional level. Speaking from experience, most people, regardless of ethnicity, does not have professional carpentry skill. Carpentry goes way beyond just gardening or roofing. My contractor/carpenter friends all have literally over ten hours of practice/work experience, and they all started as apprentices.

When I say heavy lifting, I'm referring to a job site. Does an average illegal immigrant knows how to frame a wall? No. Does he knows how to built a foundation? No. Does he knows how to install crown moldings? No. Does he knows how to safety remove existing structure and replace flooring? No. A group of carpenters can frame a wall to building standard in roughly 90 mins. A less skilled group can easily take half a day and the wall not to standard. That's why the contractors that I know, they hire skilled carpenters, they have no use for handymen other than to lift things.

Yes, there are illegals working in the carpentry business, but they are illegals who has carpentry skills. People with those skill, legal or not, are definitely not a dime a dozen; they are carpenters, not handymen. Bottom line is that carpentry isn't a job that anyone can do.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Hard to say. There's a lot of work for skilled tradesmen, but the cost of living may not be worth it depending on what your circumstances are. For example, there's a thread going on in the San Jose forum right now where people say that things could be tight for a family of 4 on $200K a year and that you need $130-150k just to get by "livably". I don't really agree with that assessment, because I think people can get by with a lot less if they keep their lives simple and don't feel the need to purchase some absurdly overprice house right away. But it is really expensive all over the Bay Area and I definitely don't recommend moving a family there on anything less than a projected $100k base income. If course if you're single that changes things a lot especially if you're willing to have a roommate. Also if you're a dual income couple that's a different story too. Beyond the Bay Area, if you target a place like Fresno or perhaps Bakersfield, you might still find some good work and the housing will be a lot less. It's not really the most popular ideal of great CA-living, but coolness aside, the quality of life can be good in some of those places and they have great access to some of the prettiest parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland