Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM

170 posts, read 251,978 times

Advertisements

Hi. We live in the East Bay near Hercules and I drive about 22 miles one way to Walnut Creek now for work. I will be starting a new job shortly in Sac near McClellan. I did two "test drives" at the time I will be working, it was all reverse traffic and took me about 1hr 15 min to do the one way 73ish miles. I have a very efficient car with good gas mileage. I have driven for work much of my carrer so I am use to putting on the miles however I wonder if this daily commute will get to me after awhile. Our lease in the East Bay is not up till Feb 1st. Anyone else do a similair commute? Or better to move closer? We'd still like to get to the East Bay for friends. Maybe split the difference. (We are not familiar with the area at all out of the East Bay as we are from "back East) ) We are hoping to buy a modest place in the under 200k range next spring and are looking for either a cool city-ish vibe or way the other way of less cars-more cows. We don't need Mayberry...but infrequent gunfire/breakins would be a plus. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
I got weary after a few months of driving from Oakland to Sacramento for a consulting/teaching job I had. Yes its reverse but its still a long commute and evenings can be bad on 80 westbound regardless of the fact that its the opposite direction-especially on Fridays.

So then I moved to Sacramento and my work was such that I began commuting from Sac to SF...that was hell.

I say bite the bullet and move. Sac is much nicer than Bay Area people think.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes its reverse but its still a long commute and evenings can be bad on 80 westbound regardless of the fact that its the opposite direction-especially on Fridays.

I say bite the bullet and move. Sac is much nicer than Bay Area people think.
Second.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Thank you 18 We have been checking out Vacaville. It seems like a nice 1/2 point. Davis seems nice but so expensive. I have heard there are some good areas even closer to Sac so I am looking forward to getting to check them out as they will be part of my territory. I hear Sac is a nice "small city" with older homes, coffee shops, some theater and we love that. I have asthma though so gotta check out the air. I guess we have a good 8 mos of looking before the lease is up so I can get a good feel for things. We were surprised to find out we could buy for under $200k in places and we can't find that near us now so that's exciting. We may even think about going more East and a bit more elevation. Lots to think about. Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Move to Sac. No question. There are loads of real estate deals as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 AM

79 posts, read 111,262 times
If my job was in Sac i would move to the sierra foothills in a quick second. I have quite the opposite problem, all my work is in the Bay Area yet I would much rather live as far away from the Bay Area as possible.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,211 times
Working in Oakland I have two co-workers who both commute from Sacramento - both using Amtrak. Personally I would never consider driving that commute.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Move to Sac. There are some nice neighborhoods in Sacramento-- Midtown in particular, for a fraction of what you'd pay in the immediate Bay Area. It's not a bad place to live at all. Davis is great too, but very pricy.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
We are hoping to buy a modest place in the under 200k range next spring and are looking for either a cool city-ish vibe or way the other way of less cars-more cows. We don't need Mayberry...but infrequent gunfire/breakins would be a plus. Thanks so much!
From this I would say to definitely move to Sacramento rather than Vacaville. For 200k you could probably get something nice right now in Midtown or Hollywood Park and get that city-ish vibe, with just a 10-15 minute traffic free drive up to McClellan (you could even bike it if you are so inclined!)

There are also a lot of rural-ish areas surrounding Sac that you might like.

Vacaville just seems like suburbia to me, plus you would still have a 40-minute one way commute and wouldn't be all that close to the Bay Area either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
I have asthma though so gotta check out the air.
Midtown also has the best air quality in the region due to the abundance of trees and the Delta Breeze. That said, it's not as good as the East Bay. Definitely better than Vacaville however.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I am excited to first look at Midtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland