Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,176 times

Advertisements

So I am a 22 year old college graduate moving down to the Bay Area to work at a social media company in Redwood City.

Since my roommate and I aren't looking for a super long commute after 10 hour days, we have been looking a little bit south of the city in the Burlingame, San Mateo, San Bruno areas. We are hoping to find a 2 bedroom apartment, located walking distance to the CalTrain line (since our work subsidizes it and the line runs right to our office).

I am interested in what each of these areas are like? Obviously its not San Fran but what would all of you recommend? Do any of these areas have a younger contingent or is it all families? Any recommendations for places north of Redwood City but south of San Fran, hopefully somewhere in the middle.

We do enjoy a little night life but if need be, can always go to the city. Weather isn't a huge concern as we are relocating from snowy Washington so anything is obviously better.

We are looking for a 2 bedroom in the neighborhood of $2000 a month total. We have even considered enlisting the help of a realtor or apartment finding service.

Please! Any suggestion or description of these areas would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:36 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Just about everything between SF and San Jose is suburbia.

Check out San Carlos which has plenty of apartments around the downtown area and is within walking distance of the Caltrain station. Some companies such as Oracle and EA have free shuttle buses from the San Carlos Caltrain station so maybe you won't have to take the train at all.

Downtown San Carlos has a few bars, restaurants and general shopping. San Francisco is about 40 minutes away on the train. Night life in SF will be a little restricted since the trains stop running about midnight

$2000 for a 2 bed apt should work out.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Downtown San Mateo is nice, day or night. Lot of restaurant options.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Downtown San Mateo is nice, day or night. Lot of restaurant options.
I personally (being not that much older than you) would focus on downtowns San Mateo and Redwood City itself. Burlingame is nice, as well, but I found it to be a little bit pricier than these places (not sure why, the apts were usually older/offered less amenities). Plus, San Mateo and Redwood City's caltrain stops have much more frequent service over other cities.

I live in downtown San Mateo within walking distance of caltrain and all of the stores/restaurants there. I definitely enjoy it; it's not the city by any means, but it makes my commute way less of a headache, and I'm still in the city multiple times a week (it's only 15-20 minutes by car, and 20-25 by train).

San Bruno/South San Francisco are ok, as well; but they don't have as nice of downtown areas.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
San Mateo is the sweet spot in terms of commute, distance from the City, "urban" feel in a generally suburban part of this metro, etc. Also a good supply of apartments and houses to rent.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
I lived in Burlingame for a while when I was working in Biotech in South San Francisco. It is a really nice town. Burlingame avenue has quite a few shops/restaurants/bars-even a brew pub. The weather is very nice as well.
There is a well kept library too. Should have enough going on during the week for 20 somethings who work long hours.

South San Francisco is a dive and is constantly foggy. Made the mistake of living there first.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I lived in Burlingame for a while when I was working in Biotech in South San Francisco. It is a really nice town. Burlingame avenue has quite a few shops/restaurants/bars-even a brew pub. The weather is very nice as well.
There is a well kept library too. Should have enough going on during the week for 20 somethings who work long hours.
However, in terms of restos open late (e.g. past 9 or 10PM), not so much.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
For those who actually work 80hr wks for first yr-two of career, game in SV (for past 15yrs) has been to live in a slum nr office during that time (if one's work claims are true, one isn't really seeking nightlife 6+d/wk anyway)

SV is largely a bunch of slummy industrial suburbs along 101....and a few leafy suburbs for families along 280 corridor....no single really wants to live in PaloAlto/Atherton/Woodside when SF is far more attuned to yuppies

After one's pay elevates and able to work more controlled hrs (w/less face time and more mobile computing), many then move to SF and do the fairly easy SF-SV drive at off-hrs...but always amused by claims of poors who want nightlife but can't afford a decent apt or car or garage yet have time/money for daily bar tabs far away from office/PC

SV tech is a workaholic culture just like Manhattan hedge funds: no one has either time or money for bars/nightlife until career dramatically elevates, usu 2-3yrs post-college if one is industrious

Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Choose San Mateo or Burlingame

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM

140 posts, read 436,523 times
Default Also Consider Dogpatch or Potrero Hill

Using the baby bullet from SF on Caltrain to RC may be fast commute. Check out the timetable:

Weekday Timetable

When I was in late 20's moving out to bay area, I first looked at Mountain View, few other suburban towns, but then quickly changed mind, and JUST HAD to be in the city! Nothing else quite compares. We ended up living 3 minute walk from 22nd Street Caltrain in SF, super easy commute this way for a peninsula job. Husband did this 20 years, no problems except occasional person walking or parking on tracks in front of train getting hit. This particular commute from SF was faster than when we lived in Burlingame for a while. Would never have left SF if it weren't for the public school system.

Last edited by Jasmine658; 06-03-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland