Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,977,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Someone could easily walk the streets after work,have dinner and afterwards they could take the train back to their comfortable reasonably priced apartment somewhere on the Bart train line. With the money they save by not living in SF they could afford to eat out every night in the city!

San Ramon = Deep Suburbia. Fremont is an unique international community with a large South Asian,Afghan & Asian population.
Deep suburbia = places where you need to drive everywhere, there is minimal transit and neighborhoods are designed to be car oriented and car-scaled not pedestrian scaled.

It makes no statement on the types of people that live there or the types of food available. Just because there are lot of South Asians and Afghans doesn't remove the suburbia label. Sorry. It is no different than San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,148,282 times
[quote=capoeira;24566604]Someone could easily walk the streets after work,have dinner and afterwards they could take the train back to their comfortable reasonably priced apartment somewhere on the Bart train line. With the money they save by not living in SF they could afford to eat out every night in the city!

The point is that San Francisco, like many of life's most difficult, but rewarding decisions, isn't one best made with only your head. I meant no disrespect to Fremont, but taking a working vacation to SF five days per week via BART is not the same as absorbing this city's quirks, delights a and disappoitments every day in neighborhoods and interactions with its people and places.

I started in the East Bay, in a house share, for several months, riding BART and saving money. It's great, but. It isn't the City. I come from a fast-growing, international metropolis in Texas, where my COL was relatively low and the range of urban pleasures was wide. San Francisco is another world and she charges accordingly.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,328,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Deep suburbia = places where you need to drive everywhere, there is minimal transit and neighborhoods are designed to be car oriented and car-scaled not pedestrian scaled.
Transit is 100% completely irrelevant in my opinion. I live in SF and drive everywhere. I think Deep Suburbia = mundane,boring chain restaurant/chain store options while city living equals a huge variety in choices. Places like Fremont,Sunnyvale,Milpitas etc. combine the best of multi-cultural city living with the comfort of a more spacious location.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I am a recent transplant from Texas too. I am working a couple of blocks from you and just got an apartment on Russian Hill. Yes, it is stupid expensive here, but it is one of the few places in the US that is worth it.

If you endure the hardships required to come out here and settle somewhere like Fremont, you will miss most of it and will kick yourself one day. This isn't like Texas, where there are plenty of young, single lifestyle options in the suburbs. The City is where you need to be. Trust me.

Get a one bedroom. Minimize your footprint a little. You might even want to ditch your car. I went from two big cars to one tiny one and haven't looked back. For the first several months i was here, i walked the streets after work every night -- different ones to different places -- ducking into bars or grabbing coffee, talking to locals, taking in the sights, etc. We walk everywhere here and the City is best experienced on foot or bike. I commute by bicycle most of the time now.

Welcome. Seize this opportunity.SF is one of the most interesting and invigorating cities in the world. If you tap into it, it will change your life for the better. San Francisco is a city you absorb through your pores. It's not the utopia you've seen as a tourist, though. It's life's classroom. A surrogate mother. A muse. A hell of a nasty hangover. A smelly backwater. A cosmopolitan metropolis. A dream you never have to wake up from.

People all over the world would kill for the opportunity you just described being offered to you. Don't let them down by living in Fremont.

Thanks @dalparadise . After reading lot of responses and yours too , I am sure I dont want to live in Fremont atleast initially and unless i have a good reason to do that.Since I haven't joined the work yet, so had very less interaction with the colleagues and couldn't really ask the reason why they prefer Fremont. So I am guessing then I can live in the city even if it needs me to cut down to 1 bhk.
On a different note, you have a natural flair for writing

Last edited by humbleBee10; 06-02-2012 at 02:43 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 AM

5 posts, read 6,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
First of all, shoot the person who recommends Fremont. It's a 60 to 90 mins commute during morning/night rush and no reason to live there if you don't have kids.

I say give Oakland a look - the nice part of Oakland. Temescal, Rockridge and surrounding area that is close to BART and you can still find a 2 bedroom within your price range.

Or the Peninsula - Brisbane, South San Francisco, etc.

But if I were you, I'd suck it up and live in SF. You're still young, no reason to venture out to the suburbs (the suburbs excludes Oakland).
@beb0p ..Thanks for your suggestion .Ironically the same person who suggested me Fremont mentioned Oakland is not a good choice at all , but he did say there are some (very few ) areas around Oakland worthy considering .Any idea about the crime rate in Temescal, Rockridge ? ..I am not going to roam around late nights as a norm ..but have few friends around and i might be on foot while getting back sometime late nights..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 AM

24,416 posts, read 27,098,220 times
Quote:
Probably because:

1)They can get a much nicer place for much less money.

2)Safety!

3)Fremont is a 46 minute Bart ride to Embarcadero. It may take longer by SF Muni for someone in the Outer parts of Sunset or Richmond.

4)They might like the authentic Indian food in Fremont

5)They might like warm sunny weather

6)No parking hassles

Compare a Fremont apartment across from Bart with pool,workout gym etc. to any almost unlivable 2 bedroom in SF for the same price.

Example Fremont apartment across from Bart

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
The OP would be much better off living in Texas than moving to the expensive Bay Area to live in Fremont when he/she works all the way in SF. Fremont is cheaper than SF, but is still a hell of a lot more expensive than Texas, just more boring than Houston or Dallas.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,705,507 times
Quote:
Transit is 100% completely irrelevant in my opinion. I live in SF and drive everywhere. I think Deep Suburbia = mundane,boring chain restaurant/chain store options while city living equals a huge variety in choices. Places like Fremont,Sunnyvale,Milpitas etc. combine the best of multi-cultural city living with the comfort of a more spacious location.
Sure, but the point is that Fremont meets NONE of the OPs stated requirements.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM

197 posts, read 668,603 times
MAYBE, yes still a MAYBE if you were going to buy a home, you could consider Fremont. Even then, Fremont is at the very end of the BART line and that is a long commute every day - 46 minutes. People commute from Fremont to SF but Fremont is more convenient to SJ and Silicon Valley than SF.

Places in Oakland like Rockridge sound like your best bet if you want easy BART access to SF and lower rents. 1700-2200 won't get you a 2 BR in any of the trendy SF areas. It won't even get you much in a 1 BR in the trendy areas. Maybe downsize to a studio or 1 BR if you are just renting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleBee10 View Post
Hello all ,

I need to join a new Job next month .My job Location is at SF downtown at intersection of Market and 1st .
Have been reading a lot in the forums but cant narrow down the locations.

I am 30 , My salary would be around 130k, is that enough to sustain a decent lifestyle there ?
and I was hoping to get a 2 bedroom apt , .
- Not too far from city , always wanted to see sfo night life
- less commute being the highest priority .
- no kids , so dont care too much about school
- people from work suggested me Fremont
- preferably between 1700-2200
- closer to bart station I guess

I am sorry if my requirements are unreasonable but moving from TX and looking at SFO housing is a big shock for me .always knew its expensive but never knew its this bad.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,328,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleBee10 View Post
So I am guessing then I can live in the city even if it needs me to cut down to 1 bhk.
You have a lot more SF options in your price range if you are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. Here is a Craigslist link with bad,too far and inconvenient locations filtered out.

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,977,690 times
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. Suburbia in my book refers to how the city was planned and designed. Not the contents of the strip malls. Basically every suburb in the bay area has a good variety of ethnic restaurants. Your suburb picture is based on whats on TV and in middle america.

"suburbia" isn't all bad. But it isn't anything like living in a denser city, with walkable neighborhoods. Where most development is on "main street" not in the strip mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland