Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
 
3,098 posts, read 3,796,778 times
Reputation: 2580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleBee10 View Post
@beb0p ..Thanks for your suggestion .Ironically the same person who suggested me Fremont mentioned Oakland is not a good choice at all , but he did say there are some (very few ) areas around Oakland worthy considering .Any idea about the crime rate in Temescal, Rockridge ? ..I am not going to roam around late nights as a norm ..but have few friends around and i might be on foot while getting back sometime late nights..
rockridge would be a safe choice that would provide excellent BART access to work and not be as expensive as san francisco.

i think a 30 y/o single person would be around other single people and have more fun in SF or OAK but i understand some people prefer suburbia

it's reasonable to consider fremont if you have some cultural connection to the ethnic groups there and your social life would center around those connections anyway but most people would say it's not a good choice for you.


the link is to a video (w/music!) showing rockridge
Rockridge in OAKLAND CA - Real Estate and Homes for Sale, and OAKLAND General Information :: Red Oak Realty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,474 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The OP would be much better off living in Texas than moving to the expensive Bay Area to live in Fremont when he/she works all the way in SF. Fremont is cheaper than SF, but is still a hell of a lot more expensive than Texas, just more boring than Houston or Dallas.
Not moving is not an option , so I have to come to bay area.I was just trying to figure out the best Renting option .
I cant believe there is anything more boring than Houston or Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,474 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
rockridge would be a safe choice that would provide excellent BART access to work and not be as expensive as san francisco.

i think a 30 y/o single person would be around other single people and have more fun in SF or OAK but i understand some people prefer suburbia

it's reasonable to consider fremont if you have some cultural connection to the ethnic groups there and your social life would center around those connections anyway but most people would say it's not a good choice for you.


the link is to a video (w/music!) showing rockridge
Rockridge in OAKLAND CA - Real Estate and Homes for Sale, and OAKLAND General Information :: Red Oak Realty
Thanks @ssmaster , No i dont have any good reason to live in Fremont , I just mentioned since it was mentioned to me . I am better off paying attention to my priority of less commute and consider rockridge or something more closer.I am almost inclining to just stay in city for the first yr ,even if i stay in a 1 bhk until I am familiar with the area.Thanks for the link btw.From the video Rockridge looks pretty interesting , its very close to kind of place i usually like to live at..thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
21,986 posts, read 25,343,578 times
Reputation: 19197
Rockridge rentals are elusive.... there just aren't many of them at all. You'll probably end up along Piedmont Ave or Temescal, which isn't such a bad thing. Your rent is generously realistic for that area. Then you get to walk to MacArthur BART, which is sorta sketchy but not so bad unless you start work early or enjoy sitting around downtown San Francisco from 7:30 until whenever your work starts. Fremont isn't really any different except the parking lot fills up sooner.

For the budget, San Francisco is going to be mostly Sunset/Richmond. They're pretty bland areas and the fog is worst there and it gets cold in the evenings the quickest. The commute from Inner Sunset would be about the same as from MacArthur BART. You really have to spend around $4,000 to get in the desirable parts of SF if you want a 2bd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 AM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 13,104,835 times
Reputation: 2958
Rockridge is awesome and very safe but yeah there aren't many apartments there, it's mostly houses. Piedmont Ave or the Grand Lake area would have more apartments. The Temescal should be safe enough if you live east of Telegraph but it's a bit seedier than Rockridge or Piedmont Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 36,992,533 times
Reputation: 28564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Rockridge rentals are elusive.... there just aren't many of them at all. You'll probably end up along Piedmont Ave or Temescal, which isn't such a bad thing. Your rent is generously realistic for that area. Then you get to walk to MacArthur BART, which is sorta sketchy but not so bad unless you start work early or enjoy sitting around downtown San Francisco from 7:30 until whenever your work starts. Fremont isn't really any different except the parking lot fills up sooner.

For the budget, San Francisco is going to be mostly Sunset/Richmond. They're pretty bland areas and the fog is worst there and it gets cold in the evenings the quickest. The commute from Inner Sunset would be about the same as from MacArthur BART. You really have to spend around $4,000 to get in the desirable parts of SF if you want a 2bd.
Heading east from MacArthur BART is fine with basic common sense. I am a single female and walk from there to basically the rose garden at night alone after 11 and feel fine. Heading towards Emeryville is sketchy. The first block or 2 towards piedmont ave is in transition but fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
 
13,711 posts, read 9,268,535 times
Reputation: 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleBee10 View Post
@beb0p ..Thanks for your suggestion .Ironically the same person who suggested me Fremont mentioned Oakland is not a good choice at all , but he did say there are some (very few ) areas around Oakland worthy considering .Any idea about the crime rate in Temescal, Rockridge ? ..I am not going to roam around late nights as a norm ..but have few friends around and i might be on foot while getting back sometime late nights..
North of 580 and east of 24 are where the nice area of Oakland are (generally speaking, there are of course pockets), the further north the better. Temescal and Rockridge are in those area. South of 580, there's Adam's Point and Cleveland Heights around Lake Merritt that is nice. If you live in Rockridge, Piedmont, Montclair, etc, there is no reason to fear roaming around late at night. Check out the Oakland crime map when you have the chance. You'll see that most of the crimes are concentrated in the West and East Oakland.

Also, if you don't mind taking the Ferry to SF, check out Alameda. It's more of a family oriented nabe but generally very safe.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Mountain View, CA
1,152 posts, read 3,206,879 times
Reputation: 1067
On 130K I believe you can afford to bump up your budget a goodly bit. I would recommend doing so. Make it a 1br under 2500... and a lot more option in the city open up. Then live in a neat SF neighborhood (not Sunset or Richmond) close to work. Do that for a year, then re-evaluate. If you love it spending that much $$ on rent will continue to be worth it. If you don't love it, you can move to a cheaper location, and you'll have had a year to explore the area and find a cheaper location you like. And you'll have spent a year living in an awful cool city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 5,150,201 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
On 130K I believe you can afford to bump up your budget a goodly bit. I would recommend doing so. Make it a 1br under 2500... and a lot more option in the city open up. Then live in a neat SF neighborhood (not Sunset or Richmond) close to work. Do that for a year, then re-evaluate. If you love it spending that much $$ on rent will continue to be worth it. If you don't love it, you can move to a cheaper location, and you'll have had a year to explore the area and find a cheaper location you like. And you'll have spent a year living in an awful cool city.
This is perfect advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top