Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times

Advertisements

Not having a car will not hurt, but typically if the space is there then get a car. Further you are from downtown the expensive of having a car decreases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
That does sound inconvenient by suburban standards, and will be a change for me. I guess the (positive) flip side is more local businesses that develop a relationship with the residents, which I also look forward to!
I have always lived without a car, even in North San Jose, which was very suburban. I managed to live perfectly fine without a car (to the amazement of all my Californian friends & colleagues). I am used to it, since I grew up in very public transportation friendly cities. My choice has nothing to do with environmental reason, I simply didn't grown up with a "car culture" in Canada.

It might take a bit of time to adjust if you are not used to it, but it's pretty easy. And if you bike, even easier.

I moved from SJ (where I did most of my shopping at a local asian supermarket, Trader Joes, Safeway, & Target by lightrail or walking) to North Beach because I got a job in the city. I do most of my grocery shopping at local farmer's markets, local bakeries, Trader Joe's & Chinatown.

I don't do "shopping excursions" like I did in SJ. No need to "stockpile" things. Most things are literally on my way walking to & from work, so I just pick it up along the way. I always shop what's on sale at Safeway, Walgreens so I don't find them expensive. I do miss Target, but they are opening up one in the Metreon. For the more hardware type of stuff I used to get to get at Target, I get it at Cole's Hardware (prices are quite reasonable, and they are super friendly).

And I do buy stuff online, if they are cheaper. Note that there is a sales tax in California. Amazon marketplace sellers (and any online retailer) who are located in California will charge sales tax. Amazon does not because they claim they do not have a physical presence (they have subsidiaries) in the state, and fought (probably still fighting) California's attempt to make them charge state tax.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
If you are living in Outer Lands yes you will be happy if you don't get rid of the car. Further in, not so much.

And yes, Safeway, Lucky, etc have parking lots (the Safeways have typically roof top, Lucky out by Sloat is the typical strip mall set up with ground level lot).

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
It partly depends on your budget. Do you really want to spend all that money annually and monthly on gas, insurance, maintenance and repair of a car? In a place with fab public transportation, not only around the city, but to other parts of the Bay Area? You can always rent a car for weekends, only $30 for 3 days, at Enterprise car rental. Grocery shopping you can do the European way--get fresh stuff several times/week. Landlords are required to provide a parking space for each unit, if you do decide you want to keep your car. Traffic in the city can be awful, though, especially anywhere near commute hours. Serious gridlock. You could try having a car, then sell it if you decide it's not worth the hassle or expense.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM

629 posts, read 619,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Landlords are required to provide a parking space for each unit, if you do decide you want to keep your car.
Huh?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Landlords are required to provide a parking space for each unit, if you do decide you want to keep your car.
In San Francisco? Lol no. Many buildings in SF don't even have garages, and the ones that do usually charge the tenants extra if they want to rent a space, like $200 a month more or so.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
In San Francisco? Lol no. Many buildings in SF don't even have garages, and the ones that do usually charge the tenants extra if they want to rent a space, like $200 a month more or so.
It's not unique to San Francisco, I will be very surprise if any city in the bay area have this requirement.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
And yes, Safeway, Lucky, etc have parking lots (the Safeways have typically roof top, Lucky out by Sloat is the typical strip mall set up with ground level lot).
Really? The only Safeway in the City that I know with rooftop parking is the one on 30th at Noriega. All of the other ones either have parking lots of adjacent garages (like the one in Mission Bay).

Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
The Safeway at Taraval and 17th Street has rooftop parking.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:00 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
The Safeway at Taraval and 17th Street has rooftop parking.
Ah, I haven't been to that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland