Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM

63 posts, read 225,688 times

Advertisements

bbbrrrrr! that's what has kept me from chicago in the past. but I suppose even though I get deep, bone-wrenching chills in the cold, I can layer abundantly. and wear ski masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdesignlou View Post
bbbrrrrr! that's what has kept me from chicago in the past. but I suppose even though I get deep, bone-wrenching chills in the cold, I can layer abundantly. and wear ski masks.
I've spent winter times in both New York and Chicago, and Chicago is a bit colder due to the wind. However, they get less moisture, especially snow. That is because they are on the "correct" side of the Great Lakes.

Now Cleveland, Buffalo or Rochester...

Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Don't be so sure. I worked with a fellow from Siberia. When asked what the weather was like, he'd say "Not as bad as Chicago".
That's funny. I think the winters in Chicago are much harsher than those in NYC. I have a friend who lives in Chicago now, lived in Boston and NYC before Chicago...she said the winters are much colder in Chicago.

One thing those average temperature/weather charts fail to show is wind chill....and wind chill is a HUGE factor. Coming from Minneapolis, I know very well what a good wind chill can do. Plus, I have been in Chicago to experience some of those wind chills.

I believe that may be why my friend thinks Chicago is colder than NYC or Boston.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I've spent winter times in both New York and Chicago, and Chicago is a bit colder due to the wind. However, they get less moisture, especially snow. That is because they are on the "correct" side of the Great Lakes.

Now Cleveland, Buffalo or Rochester...
I think saying Chicago is a bit colder is generous. New York does not have the wind chills Chicago has. That makes a huge difference, and Chicago's call "The Windy City" for a reason. Meaning, wind chills are a constant factor during the winter in Chicago - not so much in New York.

Personally, I'm a temperature person - I'd rather be buried under 6 feet of show, have the skies grey, and the temperatue 30 (I'm thinking Buffalo, NY) then have less snow, clear skies, and a temperature of 10 below.

That's just me.

But, I do agree Chicago is a good option. While the winters are brutal, they are easy to survive.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 PM

36 posts, read 169,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdesignlou View Post
I'm considering chicago as well. you say you prefer the weather in chicago to ny?

No, sorry if the sentence was awkward. I meant that I like NYC weather better than Chicago weather, but I like some other things about Chicago better than NYC. Chicago gets colder in the winter and stays cold longer, and it seems to get just as uncomfortably hot as NYC does in the summer. I mentioned Chicago only because it has lower RE costs than either coast and still has a big city feel to it (as opposed to more surburbanized cities like Atlanta). I don't think you'd find the culture or entertainment lacking in Chicago, so long as you don't make a point of forcing the comparison with NYC. You'll want to have friends there, right?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
No, sorry if the sentence was awkward. I meant that I like NYC weather better than Chicago weather, but I like some other things about Chicago better than NYC. Chicago gets colder in the winter and stays cold longer, and it seems to get just as uncomfortably hot as NYC does in the summer. I mentioned Chicago only because it has lower RE costs than either coast and still has a big city feel to it (as opposed to more surburbanized cities like Atlanta). I don't think you'd find the culture or entertainment lacking in Chicago, so long as you don't make a point of forcing the comparison with NYC. You'll want to have friends there, right?
You are right, but San Francisco and NYC have a higher density population than Chicago. That, to me, makes SF feel bigger than it really is. I love feel like I'm in the center of the universe where ever I am in SF because there are always tons of people out and about.

You have to weigh the pros and cons, but I believe you get a lot for you money in SF...more than Chicago. The same can be said for NYC - you get a lot of benefits for the cost. IMO.

Only you can make the decision. Chicago is a great city. If I ever move back to the midwest, I will go to Chicago. But, I prefer the climate in SF, the beauty of SF, the countless things to do in and around SF, and being near the ocean.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
I think saying Chicago is a bit colder is generous. New York does not have the wind chills Chicago has. That makes a huge difference, and Chicago's call "The Windy City" for a reason. Meaning, wind chills are a constant factor during the winter in Chicago - not so much in New York.
It's not called "the Windy City" because of wind.

(from city-data)
New York:
//pics2.city-data.com/w4/wnd14808.png (broken link)

Chicago:
//pics2.city-data.com/w4/wnd5242.png (broken link)

You're incorrect about the wind difference. New York actually has stronger winter winds than Chicago.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 PM

63 posts, read 225,688 times
thank you all for your comments and advice. i'm still completely confused! may just go back to nyc because I have friends there and I love a lot of what the city has to offer. it sucks to be "poor".

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM

146 posts, read 643,622 times
stay in nyc imho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland