Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,241,576 times

Advertisements

For a state as large and diverse in topography, climate, urbanity, etc. as CA you are not giving us enough info as to what you are looking for to give you an informed answer. The only answer that works based on what you have said is that just about anything you could possibly want in the way of a place to live is available somewhere in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM

138 posts, read 509,456 times
Ok being born and raised in Northern California,now in my late 40's, I have never heard a native born "Bay area" resident call it Frisco,only those visiting. And I never ,ever heard Cali until the last decade or so. I remember hearing that the term came into use when rappers started using it. I guess california is hard to fit into "rhyme". I am really surprised to hear someone from san Francisco use the term Frisco. Oh yeah and I always abbreviate it to SF. Having to refer to it so much you have to shorten it."For me in my younger days we always just called it "The City".

Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
Be glad you left. The place has been ruined by, as Herb Caen called them, auslanders.

Sex and the City (West Coast Version) wannabes, enguneers transplanted to Silly Valley from the NE, and endless waves of foreigners. Whereas the type of "urban culture" who would call it Frisco were an obscure faction back when things were still civilized, they are now emulated by another type of wannabe, the Gen Y suburban gang banga wannabe. This "urban culture" has taken over the entire region. Another influence picked up by many male youths over the past 15 - 20 years was what used to be a very small subculture of "fresh off the boat" types mostly from the other side of the Pacific, a subculture that features after market modified small Japanese cars with exhaust systems purposely made to be loud - that subculture also borrowed a bit from gang bangas - now many young males of all backgrounds are into this. Hip hop stations survive but meanwhile the old "flannel wearing white boy" rock stations have mostly died.

/rant

Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,241,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Be glad you left. The place has been ruined by, as Herb Caen called them, auslanders.

Sex and the City (West Coast Version) wannabes, enguneers transplanted to Silly Valley from the NE, and endless waves of foreigners. Whereas the type of "urban culture" who would call it Frisco were an obscure faction back when things were still civilized, they are now emulated by another type of wannabe, the Gen Y suburban gang banga wannabe. This "urban culture" has taken over the entire region. Another influence picked up by many male youths over the past 15 - 20 years was what used to be a very small subculture of "fresh off the boat" types mostly from the other side of the Pacific, a subculture that features after market modified small Japanese cars with exhaust systems purposely made to be loud - that subculture also borrowed a bit from gang bangas - now many young males of all backgrounds are into this. Hip hop stations survive but meanwhile the old "flannel wearing white boy" rock stations have mostly died.

/rant
Clueless look at some other subculture . . .

Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,283,194 times
Quote:

/rant
This whole post if idiotic just say Black instead of "urban culture" you know you want to. Ohhh poor white man feeling like he's losing his grip on California white domination. WAAAA WAAA OH POOR WHITE GUY.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
This whole post if idiotic just say Black instead of "urban culture" you know you want to. Ohhh poor white man feeling like he's losing his grip on California white domination. WAAAA WAAA OH POOR WHITE GUY.
Interesting response. I specifically did not allude to race. I alluded to culture. Culture does not equal race, especially these days. I'm a non Anglo, mixed race person. But I am 80% culturally Anglo. Meanwhile there are Anglo Saxons, especially here in the Bay Area, who seem to be culturally similar to the cultures derived from the post WW2 urban black underclass. I will grant that that particular sub culture was mainly limited to blacks 40 years ago, but that's no longer true. And similarly, some fully black people I know are even more culturally "Anglo" than me. The Anglo culture is the norm, it's the pot into which other groups used to melt. But that process appears to be breaking down. How's them apples?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Interesting response. I specifically did not allude to race. I alluded to culture. Culture does not equal race, especially these days. I'm a non Anglo, mixed race person. But I am culturally Anglo. Meanwhile there are Anglo Saxons, especially here in the Bay Area, who seem to be culturally similar to the cultures derived from the post WW2 urban black underclass. How's them apples?
You don't have to, everybody knows "HipHop or Urban" are key words for Black to a conservative or PC Liberal trying to not sound racist. Nobody with a working brain will deny that Hiphop is apart of Black American Culture or "Urban" as you like to put it. Us Black people have a distinct culture in America built out of oppression and there is no denying that. Hiphop is a part of that just like Blues.

Your rant about HipHop radio stations is stupid being that there are only 2 top 40 stations catering to that demographic, KMEL and 94.9, 94.9 Being more Dance music catering to whites, Asian's and Latinos, KMEL is not all Hiphop.

The Import Cars with Exhausts on them is a Japanese culture phenomenon that has taken off in America and around the world. Has nothing to do with gangs, but I don't see you complaining about the Motorcycle Gangs that drive around with their loud harleys that are 20 times louder than any muffler on a lowered import. I guess that's ok. Funny when whites claim they are mixed raced, it always ends up with something about them having "Native American Blood".

Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
You don't have to, everybody knows "HipHop or Urban" are key words for Black to a conservative or PC Liberal trying to not sound racist. Nobody with a working brain will deny that Hiphop is apart of Black American Culture or "Urban" as you like to put it. Us Black people have a distinct culture in America built out of oppression and there is no denying that. Hiphop is a part of that just like Blues.

Your rant about HipHop radio stations is stupid being that there are only 2 top 40 stations catering to that demographic, KMEL and 94.9, 94.9 Being more Dance music catering to whites, Asian's and Latinos, KMEL is not all Hiphop.

The Import Cars with Exhausts on them is a Japanese culture phenomenon that has taken off in America and around the world. Has nothing to do with gangs, but I don't see you complaining about the Motorcycle Gangs that drive around with their loud harleys that are 20 times louder than any muffler on a lowered import. I guess that's ok. Funny when whites claim they are mixed raced, it always ends up with something about them having "Native American Blood".
I'm not white.

'course if I were fully black, you'd probably be calling me a house something. Just like Ahmanutjob called Obama. 'course Obama read that a-hole the act today.

This is an interesting exchange.

BTW - I'm actually into hip hop, among other forms of art ... but I don't have any bling or have to hold my pants up with one hand while I walk. Again, this is strictly a cultural critique. Lots of urban pastors agree with me.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 06-05-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 AM

701 posts, read 2,026,562 times
Quote:
You don't have to, everybody knows "HipHop or Urban" are key words for Black to a conservative or PC Liberal trying to not sound racist.
Not nessecarily.

And please, don't put hip hop on the same plane as blues as far as black heritage goes.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Not nessecarily.

And please, don't put hip hop on the same plane as blues as far as black heritage goes.
Yes necessarily and it's on the "Same Plane" whether you want to accept it or not. What because you don't like it, you don't want to associate it with other black music? Get out of here with that elitist snob trash. The same thing was said about Rock & Roll when it first came out. "Jungle Music".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland