U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 31,728 times

Advertisements

Im a 21 year old mechanic working for FORD currently living in Southern California. I love southern california, everything is less then a hour away from me, beautiful women, nice weather, great nightlife but I'm looking for a change. Ive being considering moving to either New York or San Francisco and i came down to the conclusion of moving to San Francisco. Im not looking to live in the Bay Area because it is so expensive so can you guys give me advice on cities close by to the Bay which are a little less expensive yet close enough to the city.

My want list is:
-Close enough to the city to commute either by car/public transportation regularly
-Safe neighborhood, low crime (i lived in Los Angeles I'm done with the lowlifes)
-I am 21 so something that isn't boring, great nightlife
-AFFORDABLE
-Beautiful women!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, your help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,451,089 times
Take a weekend trip to the Bay Area so you can get a feel for what it's like. Pretty much everywhere in the Bay Area is expensive but the closer you are to SF or the heart of Silicon Valley, the more expensive it is. The East Bay tends to be cheapest. Also figure out where you'd be working, just like LA there are a lot of traffic bottlnecks and public transit can be patchy. Honestly if you want to be near SF and have cheap rent I'd look at Oakland, it has a lot of cool and, yes, safe neighborhoods and you could rent for about $700 to $1000 in a studio or maybe a 1br. Berkeley is better for roommate rentals, could rent with roomies for about $500 to $900 or so, but renting your own apartment is more expensive in Berkeley. Otherwise you could go somewhere more suburban like Walnut Creek etc.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:45 PM

thanks mayorhaggar, I'm taking two trips to the Bay Area within the next few months and are there any neighborhoods in Oakland you would recommend?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 13,359,260 times
The women in Oakland are so ugly that when they stick their heads out of a window, they get arrested for mooning.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,451,089 times
I'm going to repost this which I wrote in another topic:

In Oakland: Rockridge, the Temescal, Piedmont Avenue, and the Grand Lake area are the best bets. Berkeley can be expensive for apartments but it has more roommate listings than Oakland. In Berkeley mainly try to avoid the southwest corner of the city, mainly areas south and west of the Ashby BART station, this is the cheapest area of Berkeley but it's a bit seedy. You might be ok with it though but IMO even if you look past the grime there's not much to do around there compared with downtown Berkeley or the nice parts of North Oakland.

In North Oakland mainly stay east of Telegraph, areas to its west are seedy though they are far from the worst parts of Oakland so your mileage may vary. You will see a lot of cheapish apartments listed in the Temescal that are west of Telegraph.

Rockridge is cool especially if you are near College Ave where all the restaurants and grocery stores and bars are, and it has a BART station. Downside is there aren't many apartments for rent there but you will find places here and there so you have to swoop on them.

The Temescal is very similar to Rockridge but slightly more down market and cheaper, it has a cool but small strip of restaurants on Telegraph from around 45th to 51st streets.

Piedmont Ave area is cool and its commercial strip down Piedmont is really really long so there's a lot of stuff to do locally. Should be more rentals than Rockridge, but BART is a mile or so to the west on 40th at Macarthur so if you live very far north of 40th it could be a hike. Transbay buses to SF might be a better option than BART if you want to minimize walking.

Grand Lake/Lake Merritt is pretty cheap but it can be a hike from BART, again Transbay buses might be a better option. Lots of restaurants/shops on Grand north of the lake, and you'd be near downtown which has a lot of stuff to do, and the lake is awesome. The areas north and east of the lake are the safest, you will see a lot of affordable apartments to the south and southeast of the lake, but if you go to view them take a while to walk around and see if you feel comfortable there. Maybe ask Nineties Flava here if he can recommend which streets to the S and SE of the lake are the cutoff before you start getting into dicey territory.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 AM

thanks again mayorhaggar for all the info I'm greatly appreciate it! I will def look into all of these city/neighborhoods while i take my trip up to the Bay.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM

363 posts, read 496,470 times
I loved Albany, I lived in Jackson Street for a little bit of time and it was fabulous years ago, I don't know about now.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM

140 posts, read 419,171 times
Are you sure? NYC has more the party scene, good for someone in 20's & lots of women in fashion, models, etc. I spent my 20's there, loved it! But 30's, was ready for San Francisco.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 32,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine658 View Post
Are you sure? NYC has more the party scene, good for someone in 20's & lots of women in fashion, models, etc. I spent my 20's there, loved it! But 30's, was ready for San Francisco.
This is true... Unless you don't like snow and the bitter temperature variations.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 PM

4,295 posts, read 5,444,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brknbld View Post
My want list is:
-Close enough to the city to commute either by car/public transportation regularly
-Safe neighborhood, low crime (i lived in Los Angeles I'm done with the lowlifes)
-I am 21 so something that isn't boring, great nightlife
-AFFORDABLE
-Beautiful women!!!!!!!!
Honestly, not sure there are many areas at all in the Bay Area that meet all of your criteria. Not too many places outside of the city have great nightlife. Someone mentioned Oakland, but yeah, not exactly the epicenter of beautiful women. If you could afford it, I'd look at the Marina District in SF....lots of hotties there, its very safe, good for commuting to downtown SF by bus, plenty of nightlife. It isn't cheap though, but if you can get a bunch of roommates, you can probably bring your rent down to something reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>