Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 15,091 times

Advertisements

I just move to SF. I just made a contract with AT&T ( Phone, Internet and Direct TV), but the internet is so slow. We are a family of six, usually using the internet at the same time. Any suggestions of what should I do? Change to Comcast?
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
What mbps do you have with AT&T? I know that when I had AT&T U-Verse it was about 15 to 20mbps, but I don't think U-Verse is in SF yet. Before that I had Comcast which was about 30 mbps, it's pretty definitely going to be the fastest you can get in SF.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks for your reply. I called At&T, they told me that in this area was the lowest , is there any way I can measure what am I getting?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
AT&T is the worst service. Their phone support is pretty useless. Too bad there aren't many choices out there. You chould try Sonic DSL. I've heard good things. You can also try Comcast cable internet but it is way more expensive than AT&T. Comcast internet is definately much faster though.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Thanks Dragontales
It is confusing....It is confusing.... also they said that Comcast is not compatible with Apple (they are not Java friendly). And also the TV in Comcast is not HD. Does anyone know about this?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
AT&T was blocked from putting in enough infrastructure to support Uverse in SF, due to some environmental or similar issues. That was the story, anyway. More likely, they didn't pay off the right people to get their stuff greenlit for installation.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Go to speedtest.net and have it run a test and it will tell you how fast it is. Comcast service should be fine with an Apple, I think someone here was rambling on about how you can't use their website with an Apple, but just using internet should be fine. And Comcast definitely has HD TV service.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Do you pay for the highest internet speed? I had U-Verse in San Diego and we had the upgraded internet speed, the level higher than standard, and it worked fine. There are several different tiers for internet speed on U-Verse, so I would try the higher ones.

I know how bad At&t's cell phone service is but I loved U-Verse when I had it.

I have Comcast here in Walnut Creek and I can tell you it's is by far the WORST cable and internet service I ever had. We literally have to call them once or more a week about issues with our cable. The internet used to cut out all the time for a minute or two before they replaced our modem. Comcast is the anti-christ imo, they should be avoided at all cost. I've never hated a cable company so much in my life.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks to all for your help. This was I ended doing: Comcast for Internet/phone and Direct TV for TV.
I hope is a wise decision.
best

Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM

46 posts, read 226,042 times
We use DirecTV with Sonic.net for phone and internet and have been happy. Only lame thing is that you have to pay a little extra for more than one e-mail address, but it's faster and cheaper than AT&T was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland