U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 13,839 times

Advertisements

I will come to work in Livermore, and now I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment. As the rent in Tracy is significantly lower than Livermore, I become more interested in Tracy. However, my concern is the safety. Would you guys tell me is Tracy a safe and nice place to live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM

4,298 posts, read 5,468,636 times
Not sure about crime stats, but I'd pick Livermore in a heartbeat over Tracy. It has a cute downtown and has really come up a lot in recent years. On the other hand, Tracy always struck me as a place that has no redeeming qualities (other than price). It can be a lot hotter than Livermore, is all suburban sprawl and forces you to bear even more of the 580 commute.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,140,978 times
Save a lot on the commute in Livermore too. Agree that Livermore is nice and Tracy not so much.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,839 times
OK, I see. It seems like Livermore is much better than Tracy. Thanks!

By the way, is there certain area in Livermore I should avoid?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 PM

49 posts, read 135,438 times
Livermore, Tracy.... you get what you pay for

Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM

388 posts, read 960,560 times
Don't go to Tracy. Ever. And there is a low income area downtown but it is small. And its not really the hood or anything. But it is an immigrant area. Not really ghetto.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:32 PM

19,581 posts, read 19,975,594 times
I would pick Livermore any day, for the reasons mentioned above.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM

88 posts, read 209,928 times
Of course, if full-scale intercontinental thermonuclear warfare ever broke out the Livermore Rad Lab is a main target IF it IS a full-scale barrage.

Plus being downwind of the population centers of the bay area if the local detonation doesn't get you the fall out will be horrid.

And the freeway system allows the low-lifes of the entire area to easily travel to seek out victims.

The vatos and esses of the San Joaquin Valley do make us so very strong... diversity is our strength I am told repeatedly and all culture are equal and all are beautiful blah blah blah.

Yes, I used to live in Livermore and Pleasanton and south of Tracy in a smaller town where speaking Englis' was not a sure method of communication.

Try listening to an on-line local radio station for the area and learn first-hand of traffic conditions.

Unlike the old days the traffic nowadays on I-580 appears to be horrendous.

Factor in commuting costs and time lost and it MAY actually be an economic positive to live inside Livermore.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM

291 posts, read 914,394 times
Livermore is a lovely city with lots of families and good schools. There are also over 40 wineries in Livermore and gorgeous vineyard views with lots of open space. The newly revitalized downtown is filled with cute mom&pop shops and restaurants. You will not have the need to travel outside of Livermore for much, specially now with the Paragon Outlets opening in November with over 100 stores. Livermore is also home to several walking/biking paths and lots of parks and green areas. The Livemore community center offer an array of activities for people of all ages at very affordable prices. The community pool is super nice and looks more like a water park than a community pool. Livermore is also a very safe place as a whole. Some people regard south Livermore as a better area. It is mostly due to larger more expensive homes near the vineyards and slightly better rated schools. North Livermore is more affordable and it has a mix of older and newer homes. It is a excellent place to be as well. It really depends on your preference and budget. The middle part of Livermore (near downtown) has older homes and some could probably use a face lift but it is not a dangerous place to be by any means. A lot of people looking for older homes with more character are drawn to live near downtown, mainly for its charm and walkability. Again it is a matter of personal preference. Livermore has a very diverse population as well, mostly because of the work available at the National Labs (Lawrence Livermore and Sandia). There are lots of people with advanced degrees from various ethnic backgrounds which are slowly changing Livermore's demographic from its cowboy days.

I haven't been to Tracy much so I can't comment but the traffic over the Altamont Pass is terrible. I would much prefer to avoid that at all costs. The traffic on 580 is no picnic, even in Livermore/Pleasanton area, but looks like you are one of the lucky ones to be able to work and live in Livermore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>