Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM

21 posts, read 36,483 times

Advertisements

We may be moving soon and I would be commuting to Oakland, but we would like to live very close to the beach somewhere. Looking for apt for around 3k a month that takes lg dogs. Suggestions for cities? It sounds like SF proper would be a nightmare to find a place online to rent in 1.5 months... Other areas of interest (due to prior apt community connection) are Redwood City, Pacifica, San Bruno, San Mateo, San Jose and Fremont. Thoughts anyone? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Pacifica would be okay if you can stand the run down architecture, and fog 90% of the year. It's close to Millbrae BART too if you're planning to use mass transit.

Pretty much your best options are going to be on the Peninsula between Daily City and Redwood City. With a $3,000 a month budget, you shouldn't have any problem finding a place in that area.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
If you don't need full-out ocean beach (i.e. are okay with living right on the bay instead of the ocean) you could live in Alameda; there's a wonderful shore line, tons of apartments literally right across from the beach, and it's right across the bridge/tunnel from Oakland. Obviously no good if you're really into surfing or something, but it's fabulous if you just want to enjoy water and birds and crabs and just overall enjoy feeling connected to the water. Alameda also has some apartments for rent that are on the banks of lagoons (you can kayak and paddle boat, although I think there are some pollution issues) and those are also within a few blocks of the actual beach. Ballena Village Apartments in Alameda is an apartment complex that is right on the water and is (I think) pet-friendly; we never did tour there, but my impression is that there are a lot of units, they are open to renting online, and it would be a very quick commute to Oakland.

The rental market in SF IS crazy, but if you wanted to at least consider that option you could check out the outer Richmond or the Sunset -- those areas are less trendy than the parts of the city that are really crazy right now. Just be prepared for fog. LOTS of fog.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM

49 posts, read 143,549 times
I second Alameda, their beach (bay only) are quite nice, it's a safe community and your commute will be really short. Great schools there too, don't know if that matters.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
I third Alameda.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you don't need full-out ocean beach (i.e. are okay with living right on the bay instead of the ocean) you could live in Alameda; there's a wonderful shore line, tons of apartments literally right across from the beach, and it's right across the bridge/tunnel from Oakland. Obviously no good if you're really into surfing or something, but it's fabulous if you just want to enjoy water and birds and crabs and just overall enjoy feeling connected to the water. Alameda also has some apartments for rent that are on the banks of lagoons (you can kayak and paddle boat, although I think there are some pollution issues) and those are also within a few blocks of the actual beach. Ballena Village Apartments in Alameda is an apartment complex that is right on the water and is (I think) pet-friendly; we never did tour there, but my impression is that there are a lot of units, they are open to renting online, and it would be a very quick commute to Oakland.

The rental market in SF IS crazy, but if you wanted to at least consider that option you could check out the outer Richmond or the Sunset -- those areas are less trendy than the parts of the city that are really crazy right now. Just be prepared for fog. LOTS of fog.
I second (edit: fourth) the recommendation for Alameda. I actually have friends who live in Ballena Village apartments (pet-friendly apartments), and they love them. Definitely worth a look. Apartments along Crown Beach, or near, or also really nice (although, from my own looking in the past many are either condos or are not pet-friendly).

While some of the peninsula cities you mention are quite nice, and are very close to the ocean (I'm in San Mateo, love where I live, and can be at the ocean in 15 minutes, or the shore of the bay in less than 5 minutes), it is not going to be a very easy commute to Oakland. I always tell people to avoid having to cross the bay, if possible, when commuting to work. It's just an extra bottleneck you don't need.

Alameda seems like the best compromise for getting that aquatic feel and also being close to work. And on the weekends, you can always make the trek across the bay to the Pacific coast, if you really feel disconnected from the ocean environment.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM

OMG. You folks are SO helpful. I was looking at Alameda but some reviews said the apts there were full of ex-cons! The dog is always a challenge and we'll be renting sight unseen. I saw some area called "Jack London" too that looked good.
Keep the advice coming! I am saving all of it!

Best

Loren

Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM

30 posts, read 37,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Pacifica would be okay if you can stand the run down architecture, and fog 90% of the year. It's close to Millbrae BART too if you're planning to use mass transit.
Great advice because everybody from the Bay Area knows Millbrae bart is really close to Pacifica, never mind that the Colma train is closer. Thanks Pink Squid for banning me previously for pointing that out. I guess I'm not Fantastic enough to challenge your alter ego.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loren1983 View Post
OMG. You folks are SO helpful. I was looking at Alameda but some reviews said the apts there were full of ex-cons! The dog is always a challenge and we'll be renting sight unseen. I saw some area called "Jack London" too that looked good.
Keep the advice coming! I am saving all of it!

Best

Loren
could be the specific apartments you were looking at? Alameda in general is really safe, full of very beautiful older homes, and then a bunch of newer apartments and condos on the bay side of things. With your budget you definitely don't need to live somewhere that's sketchy.

Have you thought about staying somewhere short-term after you arrive? That way you could have time to look at things in person. A bigger hassle, I know, but could still be worth it in the long-run. Alameda has houses and duplexes (with yards for your dog) for rent (check out other threads for details, but a lot of those rentals are dominated by the island's real estate agents: Gallagher and Lindsey, OMM Management, and Harbor Bay are the biggest one). You could get something quite nice and within easy walking distance to the beach (or on a lagoon or on the estuary) for your budget. They have their listings online, most with pictures, but it's never quite the same as seeing them in person. (one tip: don't be scared off by the listings with no pictures; we toured one, and it was one of the nicest we looked at!) Most of the rentals around here are for almost literally right away, so if you secured a temporary place for a month you'd have the time to look around in person.

A more suburban part of Alameda (in feel) that has great water connections is the Bay Farm area. The nice thing about Alameda is that you'll have lots of options and different types of neighborhoods.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Default Thanks i will check those out we really prefer apt or condo

As for some reason our dog does much better in a communal atmosphere. When we rented a house he turned cujo on anyone who came to the door. Wacky. Now that we're back in a highrise in the city he's back to his normal self. My biggest fear was finding an apt that takes larger dog as he's an english lab and overgrown. We've had no problem in Miami or Chicago with it but I know nothing about CA. We're modern day vagabonds and I transfer when the mood (or weather) strikes. You guys are super. Thanks again.

Loren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland