Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're kidding right? The national average for bus speed is 12.5 mph.

"Muni buses inch along at the rate of only 8 miles per hour, so slowly that potential riders look elsewhere for their transportation, according to a city report.

Muni’s average speed is the slowest compared with other similar metropolitan transportation systems. For example, Boston’s Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority ranks the fastest, at nearly 18 miles per hour, and New York City’s City Transit moves at an average of 14 miles per hour.

Muni has slowed down by 1 percent every year over the last 20 years..."

Study finds average Muni speeds lag | Joshua Sabatini | Local | San Francisco Examiner

Also no one said BRT is better than a subway but it's the most cost effective alternative at the moment. There is not enough money to build a subway. Do you not realize the financial constraints agencies like MUNI have?

I have yet to hear anyone on here offer a viable and comparable alternative.
The difference with Boston and NYC is because they have a real subway. The western and southern half of SF is hilly and suburban and is very much car dependent. Pretending that somehow sunset/richmond are fully walkable in non-sense. This will reduce Geary to one lane road in certain spots unless they eliminate all parking. Thats just insane in area which has a really bad parking situation already. This is purely ideological move and not based on facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Geary needs a subway, not BRT. BRT may help slightly over the current situation, but there are much better options for improved transit on Geary. Like so often though, SF seems to go for the half-assed idea (the BRT instead of a subway)...but it's not like too many merchants on Geary want any change whatsoever in the first place. Back when the idea for a subway was being kicked around, they opposed that too, just as so many of them now oppose BRT. In their minds, anything slightly out of the ordinary will negatively impact their business. Which is a pretty lame mind set.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
The difference with Boston and NYC is because they have a real subway. The western and southern half of SF is hilly and suburban and is very much car dependent. Pretending that somehow sunset/richmond are fully walkable in non-sense. This will reduce Geary to one lane road in certain spots unless they eliminate all parking. Thats just insane in area which has a really bad parking situation already. This is purely ideological move and not based on facts.
How is it not based on facts? Did you even bother to look anything up about the project at all before you made that statement? Have you ever looked ANYTHING up about BRT?

You guys should really learn more about current BRT systems in the US and worldwide, they have been very successful.

Last edited by sav858; 07-03-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Geary needs a subway, not BRT. BRT may help slightly over the current situation, but there are much better options for improved transit on Geary. Like so often though, SF seems to go for the half-assed idea (the BRT instead of a subway)...but it's not like too many merchants on Geary want any change whatsoever in the first place. Back when the idea for a subway was being kicked around, they opposed that too, just as so many of them now oppose BRT. In their minds, anything slightly out of the ordinary will negatively impact their business. Which is a pretty lame mind set.
And what are those options? I still have yet to hear from anyone offering one single comparable option. And if you say subway please explain to me how that would be paid for.

I agree that subways are better but do you not realize how expensive they are and how financially constrained MUNI is?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
How is it not based on facts? Did you even bother to look anything up about the project at all before you made that statement? Have you ever looked ANYTHING up about BRT?

You guys should really learn more about current BRT systems in the US and worldwide, they have been very successful.
It's deep green ideology, based on Callenbach's Ecotopia e.g. "carless living."

Great if you are in a truely walkable area, crappy if you live in a residential area in the Outer Richmond.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
And what are those options? I still have yet to hear from anyone offering one single comparable option. And if you say subway please explain to me how that would be paid for.

I agree that subways are better but do you not realize how expensive they are and how financially constrained MUNI is?
Exactly. BRT is way cheaper and can be done in a year. Checkbox Curtiba Brazil and Mexico City for BRT inspiration. The bus stigma is causing people to no look at the benefits of the project. It is like saying "ewww it is the bus so it sucks."

Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's deep green ideology, based on Callenbach's Ecotopia e.g. "carless living."

Great if you are in a truely walkable area, crappy if you live in a residential area in the Outer Richmond.
So any form of public/mass transit is "deep green ideology"? So when people were heavily using mass transit to get around before WWII is that "deep green ideology" too? Are the NYC subways "deep green ideology?" Give me a break with that political BS. It's called urban mobility and cars clearly aren't the best form of that in a city like SF.

Residential areas in the Outer Richmond are already serviced by buses along the same route that this BRT is meant to replace. Light rail services the Outer Sunset. So how are people suppose to get to work in Downtown SF? Drive? No one is saying get rid of your car and live completely car free but mass transit is clearly the most efficient way get people to work and around a city like SF.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
How, though, would you pay for a subway? And what would the cost per rider per mile be? Subways are highly expensive. We would be talking fractions of billions of dollars per mile. If you're not at crush capacity on the subway, it's simply not worth building.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
How, though, would you pay for a subway? And what would the cost per rider per mile be? Subways are highly expensive. We would be talking fractions of billions of dollars per mile. If you're not at crush capacity on the subway, it's simply not worth building.
How would we pay for it? The same way all other subways and civic projects are paid for: taxes/government funding. If we can build the new central subway in SOMA/Chinatown we can built one down Geary too. Yes it would be expensive (overly expensive even, just like the central subway), but I never said it wouldn't be.

Quote:

What are those options? I already mentioned it in that very post: a subway. As for how to pay? I already answered this above, but I'll say it again: Taxes and government funding like every other project of this type (the same kind of sources that would pay for BRT, obviously...why are you guys acting like this is some great mystery?). Would it be more expensive than BRT? Of course. Would it be better than BRT? Yes.

BRT is good too of course, I have nothing against buses at all (I ride them every day). I just hate to see the city fail to meet the full potential of the Geary corridor in terms of transit.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
I'd rather see Geary connected to BART as well, but the likelihood is slim. Surface trams could connect to an X-shape system if Van Ness' BRT becomes rail. Perhaps a link to the Central Subway from a Geary tram line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland