Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times

Advertisements

Most places have some sort of soul or vibe, so I don't see how SF could be without.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 AM

85 posts, read 246,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Most places have some sort of soul or vibe, so I don't see how SF could be without.
Trust me SF has plenty of soul and vibe.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,850 times
I think SF has soul. Every place has a soul. Guess it just depends on if you're vibing with it or not. A lot of my personal bias is tied up in the fact that I grew up here and have very fond memories and had tons of freedom than the typical kid growing up in a more isolated, homogeneous environment. It was safe and fun and we weren't limited to shopping at a mall and or going to the movies. As children we were able to really embrace a lot of things in this area, the culture, all of it, and most of us have become well rounded, open minded folks as a result I believe. Our field trips in school were amazing and I could go on and on.

As an adult living in SF, sure it's changed here, but it's still a pretty cool city and definately has soul. Even, people who hate san francisco are admitting it has a soul of some sort because they're feeling the coolness of the city. It can be very dreary here and have a sense of emptiness when the Fog rolls in for example, that's a part of it's soul also. Walking on or near Ocean Beach during the foggy days can you make you feel like you're the only person walking the earth and there is no one who gets you here. Life ebbs and flows and so does San Francisco, you can sometimes get caught up in it's tides and if you resist them, you're probably not going to have a pleasant time here. Whatever you're going through in your life, tends to be magnified when you live here. If you're having a joyous time, it will amplified. If life sucks for you at the moment, SF will make it seem even worse. I've discovered this for myself and in talking to other people who've had similar experiences here. It's a powerful city with a lot more spirit than we're aware of, which makes it a very beautiful place to be in my opinion.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 AM

718 posts, read 2,688,414 times
Go to golden gate park during a reggae festival at tell me this city has no soul!

Old 10-13-2007, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,168 times
Cool ExFedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscore View Post
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the weather is "great" or "nice" in SF. Pale people aside, wouldn't be nice to go out at night for dinner and be able to sit outside in like 75 degree weather? Is it too much to expect summer to be "warm" not 55 degrees? I don't think I'm in a minority here

Yes, I lived in Palo Alto, and weather here is great, but it's not a real city so I moved back to SF when my job contract expired.

Who was it that said "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco"?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:58 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith ExFedEx View Post
Who was it that said "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco"?

mark twain

Old 10-13-2007, 03:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith ExFedEx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
mark twain
No, he didn't. But he said something similar about Paris. Urban Legends Reference Pages: Mark Twain on Coldest Winter

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
Angry OMG Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Depends on what you consider "good" weather, since that's a relative term... today it's cold & foggy, and I'm LOVING it!
Really though... when you said like 55-69 degrees I almost Moderator cut: my pants. I am in Boston and woke up to 42 degree weather... and it's still warm compared to what is waiting around the corner. If it were 45 degrees everyday it would still be warmer than Boston.

I really like the idea of cool fall-like temperatures that don't fall to the negative degrees all too easily.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-15-2007 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-15-2007, 01:16 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
LOL... I know what you mean, since I visit Boston about once a year (relatives live there). In fact, I'm going for Thanksgiving, and will have to break out the winter coat! Here's another weird thing about SF's weather - we often have only a 1-2 degree difference, from morning to night. Look at the forecast for this week:

High: 58°Low: 54°
High: 56°Low: 54°
High: 57°Low: 55°
High: 58°Low: 57°
High: 57°Low: 56°
(and it's supposed to rain on & off, which usually causes the mild temps)

Strange weather, but I love it!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM

78 posts, read 344,213 times
Default It depends on who you hang with...

In reply to the original poster, there are so many people you can hang with and be friends with, why do you bother with the flaky people. I suspect it is just the crowd that you hang around. Make new friends

I grew up in San Francisco. I attended public school from kindergarten through undergrad. First of all, be careful who you call locals. Although many people claim to be from San Francisco, they are actually from suburbs surrounding the city. I have even met 1 girl while I was living in New York City who claimed to be from San Francisco, but was actually from Visalia, which is in Central Valley. Southern California is considered a different state. The flakiest and most shallow people I have met have been in Los Angeles.

I am not speaking because I have no other experiences to compare with. I have lived a few other towns such as Berkeley, New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, and Stockholm. I must say that I still like San Francisco the best. There is no snow to deal with. Public transportation is great; not as efficient as Manhattan, but definitely cleaner. Much faster than the T in Boston. Most of my friends are cultured (have traveled the world), highly educated, very considerate. We all speak at least 3 languages and enjoy the cultural diversity in San Francisco. It is really a city where you can be yourself. I hated living in Los Angeles because people were so materialistic... I mean, even my cleaning woman drove a Mercedes and carried a Gucci purse. The fog isn't all that great, but you could always move to a sunnier part of the Bay Area, like Berkeley, which is also great for young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland