Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 PM

11 posts, read 36,115 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a single mom looking to move to Walnut Creek. I have a job opportunity in Oakland, but am leaning towards the other side of the tunnel because of the schools (Walnut Creek is my #1, but looking in Lafayette and Pleasant Hill as well). My son is 12 and will be in 6th grade next year.

My biggest worry is that right now, I work about a 9.5 hour work day. I leave at 8AM and I get home at 5:30PM, M-F. I drop my son off at school on the way to work and he walks home from school. His school here gets out at 2:45PM, while the schools there get out at 2:20PM, so currently he is alone from around 3PM to 5:30PM.

I'm fine with him being alone, because he's very independent and he prefers it that way, as opposed to after school care where most of the kids are much younger, very few his age.

Now it seems that with a new commute, my work day will be much longer - perhaps 11 hours? I haven't done the commute yet or tested it (although I have driven those parts during both the morning commute and the evening commute, it wasn't quite during the same hours I will be working), but am weighing my options of driving or taking BART.

I considered putting him in after school care there because of it being a new city, a new area. Right now he walks home from school with a bunch of other kids all walking the same way. I am not moving until the beginning of August, school starts August 22nd - I haven't found a place yet so I don't know how close to school I will be.

Do most parents put their kids in after school care? Or solely rely on family help, friends, etc? My other fear with after school care is tunnel backups, etc., on the days that say, I leave at 5 and I can't get there to pick him up by 6. It seems that I'll be pushing it close either way, and I need to figure out what my best avenue is.

My hours will be relatively flexible, wherein I can work 8 to 4:30, 8:30 to 5, 9 to 5:30, or anywhere around there to my choosing.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
If you can, I'd take BART. The way home would be pretty brutal, because you get all the heading home for SF. I have tried to go from 580 to 24 (at the beginning) to get off at Claremont, after 4:30 and it takes 15 minutes. And it is bumper to bumper. I always get mad at myself for taking the freeway. And it looks really annoying to go the whole way to WC. It could take 30 minutes to get from my house to Orinda after 4:30. (And it should take 10 to 12)

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM

My only fear with BART is whether there will be parking in the morning. I was planning on still taking my son to school (via car), so I would drop him off at school and then drive to BART. I have a feeling I will have a difficult time finding a place I can afford where I can realistically walk him to school and then walk to BART, so being able to park at BART would be necessary.

I heard that if you don't get to BART early (at least the PH and WC stations), there isn't parking on the weekdays. I have only ever taken BART on the weekend, so there's always plenty of parking, but is that going to be a concern if say, I get to BART at 8AM on a weekday?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM

Ahhh, I was just reading about the monthly reserved parking. Perhaps that's an option, even if the cost is high, it's still cheaper than driving (or perhaps the same, but faster ).

BART - Parking

It would be ideal if I could drop my kid off at school, drive to BART, park at BART, and take it home. I have been stuck in that traffic and it's terrible sometimes. I don't want my work day to turn into 12 hours :/

Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebybound View Post
My only fear with BART is whether there will be parking in the morning. I was planning on still taking my son to school (via car), so I would drop him off at school and then drive to BART. I have a feeling I will have a difficult time finding a place I can afford where I can realistically walk him to school and then walk to BART, so being able to park at BART would be necessary.

I heard that if you don't get to BART early (at least the PH and WC stations), there isn't parking on the weekdays. I have only ever taken BART on the weekend, so there's always plenty of parking, but is that going to be a concern if say, I get to BART at 8AM on a weekday?
Oh yeah, probably not. You need a permit for sure, I like in Oakland, the spots are full by 7 or 6:45. I imagine it is similar in PH or WC, my former coworker was on the permit list for 18 months before she got a permit.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,451,785 times
Not sure where you are working but if you can take 13 to 24 instead I think it will be faster. I used to work off Hegenberger on Edgewater and would take 78th st to 580 to 13. 13 backs up too but not as bad as 24 imo and it drops you off right at the tunnel.

I don't know what kind of place you are looking to get, like a house, townhouse, or apt/condo. If you live in the Keys condominiums or in a townhouse/condo in Main Chance Estates you could walk your son to school and walk to WC BART. Walnut Creek Intermediate (WCI) is right behind the Keys and Main Chance is across from the Keys. The Keys actually has a locked gate (residents get a key) at the south end of the complex that drops you pretty much right in front of WCI on the backside. BART is probably a 15 minute or so walk from WCI, the Keys, and Main Chance.

Not saying I recommend this but you might be able to park your car at the Keys and walk to BART, technically it could get towed but they have plenty of spots and it empties out during the day. I don't think they tow really unless it's been there for days.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
my former coworker was on the permit list for 18 months before she got a permit.
Ouch!! I just went through the purchase thing (just to see the costs for the various stations in the area) and none of the stations up there have permits available, so that could very well be truth for me as well. May get my name on a waiting list now :P

Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure where you are working but if you can take 13 to 24 instead I think it will be faster. I used to work off Hegenberger on Edgewater and would take 78th st to 580 to 13. 13 backs up too but not as bad as 24 imo and it drops you off right at the tunnel.

I don't know what kind of place you are looking to get, like a house, townhouse, or apt/condo If you live in the Keys condominiums or in a townhouse/condo in Main Chance Estates you could walk your son to school and walk to WC BART. Walnut Creek Intermediate (WCI) is right behind the Keys and Main Chance is across from the Keys. The Keys actually has a locked gate (residents get a key) at the south end of the complex that drops you pretty much right in front of WCI. BART is probably a 15 minute or so walk from WCI (the back part), the Keys, and Main Chance.

Not saying I recommend this but you might be able to park your car at the Keys and walk to BART, technically it could get towed but they have plenty of spots and it empties out during the day. I don't think they tow really unless it's been there for days.
I will take a look at the highway differences, thank you! I have been on 24 during some brutal times and wonder how people do it.

I am looking at apartments and townhouses and I will take a look at those you mentioned. No houses - not for now, anyway. I do plan on staying in the area for the long-term and I will be looking at purchasing, but not for a few years while I get a feel for the area and get used to the area. I visit frequently, but not often enough to really know my way around.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,451,785 times
I lived in the Keys with my my mom throughout middle school in a 2br condo. Perfectly fine place to live imo, lots of amenities (pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, gym, etc..) roaming security guards, and secured buildings. If you want more space Main Chance Estates has townhouses. I remember Main Chance could get kind of pricey, the Keys are huge so should have more options and be cheaper since they aren't as big.

Another option could be living just down the road by Pleasant Hill BART and having your son take the bus to WCI or ride a bike, if you're comfortable with that of course. There is a trail right next to PH BART that runs straight to WCI, probably like 1.5 miles away. It's a pretty safe area imo, I always got myself to school growing up in that area.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I lived in the Keys with my my mom throughout middle school in a 2br condo. Perfectly fine place to live imo, lots of amenities (pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, gym, etc..) roaming security guards, and secured buildings. If you want more space Main Chance Estates has townhouses. I remember Main Chance could get kind of pricey, the Keys are huge so should have more options and be cheaper since they aren't as big.

Another option could be living just down the road by Pleasant Hill BART and having your son take the bus to WCI or ride a bike, if you're comfortable with that of course. There is a trail right next to PH BART that runs straight to WCI, probably like 1.5 miles away. It's a pretty safe area imo, I always got myself to school growing up in that area.
Thank you for the info. It sounds exactly where I need to be, so I will definitely take a look there and that area. I looked at the waiting lists for parking (and added myself to them) and jade was right, they are insane and it seems like it could be awhile before I am capable of paying for a monthly spot.

I am a little worried about him getting himself TO school, but not FROM school. Not that I don't trust him to walk there, but he's not capable of getting himself up and ready in time without me nagging at him, but we'll see how it works out. I guess it all depends on where I find to live If I could be within walking distance to both school and BART, it would be ideal - I just wonder how others do it? Do a lot of kids there with working parents walk to and from school? Do buses run (school buses)? We don't have school buses running here anymore due to budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland