Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 PM

32 posts, read 214,937 times

Advertisements

My life may be bringing me to that area very soon and I really want to know what the people are like, what the city itself is like, do you like living there, what makes it special, is it worth moving to, should I look at someplace else in the bay area? Give me the details people, apart from the whole crime thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
Can you afford a middle class or higher area? Great! Do you need to commute to South Bay? Not so great.

I have happily lived in Oakland for around 9 years now. I have undergone many job hunts and haven't bother to look for anything in Silicon Valley or the Peninsula because I didn't want to move.

People are friendly and enthusiastic about Oakland because they have chosen to live here (and have the means to live elsewhere if they wanted). There are a zillion great restaurants, and more and more open every month. There is a lot of stuff to do, and plenty of walkable neighborhoods with amenities. But it isn't annoying if you need to drive across town like let's say Berkeley.

But it really depends on what kind of neighborhood you are looking for. For me, I was looking for something divers, walkable and accessible by transit, and I found exactly what I wanted.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Why don't you tell us what you like so we can narrow things down.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 AM

622 posts, read 1,142,184 times
From what I can see, it depends. Oakland is truly a town with a broad range of people. You've got the Oakland Hills with very well off people and spectacular views of the city and you've got areas like West Oakland that people say you should avoid. Then you've got a whole range of places in between, so I don't think there is some pat statement you can kick out there about Oakland or the people except that most that I meet really seem to love their city.

I live in Berkeley walking distance to the Rockridge area of Oakland and I love it around here. I've explored the Piedmont area of the city a bit and it's nice too. I just think the Piedmont area is a little far from BART for my tastes because AC transit buses are hit or miss as a feeder to BART.

Natural is right. Oakland offers a range of options. It's easier to explain if we know more about you.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 AM

323 posts, read 695,427 times
Oakland has hills with beautiful homes and expansive views. Has a lake in the middle of downtown that is like a a Public Park great for excercise or people watching. Many fine Restaurants. Ethnic diversity. Wide distribution of wealth and resources. Struggling education system. Vibrant art scene. High crime in certain areas. Great weather.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM

32 posts, read 214,937 times
About me... I have a dog that I love to take places with me. I'm outdoors-y and artsy and social... I need to stuff to DO. If the people are friendly and there's stuff going on relatively frequently, I'm good to go. Thank you guys so much for you feedback, it means a lot.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 AM

115 posts, read 566,440 times
I guess everyone here who posts here are from the well to do areas, like Montclair, Rockridge, Oakland Hills. Let me turn the tables, I come from like the working class area of Oakland. I do not go out at night and walk around because I am scared. My mom's friend got mugged four times within a six month period and it happend within the last year. I stay aware of my surroundings at all times because I do not know if anyone is going to come up behind me.

The FBI crime stats show every year that Oakland is the 4th or 5th dangerious city in America. Do I believe it? I sure do because I do not live in the safe areas of Oakland where the majority of the people who post here live. Do I have enough money to move out of Oakland? Yes I do but I will not. Overall, I like the city of Oakland. I grew up in Oakland and went through the public schools here, kindergarten through 12th grade. I am an Oakland native. I think that will differentiate me from the other posters who just live in the safe areas of Oakland.

Last edited by chinamen; 07-10-2012 at 02:15 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Yes, there are two Oaklands...the have's and the have-nots. Well, that has changed more in recent years with people moving in and neighborhoods like North Oakland and the Lake area being truly mixed with hipsters, liberals, immigrants, etc. And sometimes the haves and have-nots clash, like with the JLS shooting this weekend.
Still, it's a great place to live, especially if you are in one of the better areas which have that good mix of folks. You just have to keep an eye out for the haters.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I guess everyone here who posts here are from the well to do areas, like Montclair, Rockridge, Oakland Hills. Let me turn the tables, I come from like the working class area of Oakland. I do not go out at night and walk around because I am scared. My mom's friend got mugged four times within a six month period and it happend within the last year. I stay aware of my surroundings at all times because I do not know if anyone is going to come up behind me.

The FBI crime stats show every year that Oakland is the 4th or 5th dangerious city in America. Do I believe it? I sure do because I do not live in the safe areas of Oakland where the majority of the people who post here live. Do I have enough money to move out of Oakland? Yes I do but I will not. Overall, I like the city of Oakland. I grew up in Oakland and went through the public schools here, kindergarten through 12th grade. I am an Oakland native. I think that will differentiate me from the other posters who just live in the safe areas of Oakland.
I agree with this post. There are parts of Oakland where it's perfectly fine. There are large areas of Oakland where I wouldn't step outside of my car. The hills, generally good. The flats, not as good. It just depends on your budget, and what you are willing to pay if you want to live in the nicer areas.

Based on population density maps, the majority of Oakland residents live in the flats, and not in the hills.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM

109 posts, read 299,037 times
My experience has been a mixed bag so far. I love the city for all it has to offer. There are great places to eat, there is plenty to do, and it is really close to some great locales (the beach, SF, wine country, the sierras)... not to mention, there are some great hiking and biking oppotunities in the 1000's of acres of parks in its backyard. I have lived here for a little over a year, starting off in the hills. Whereas I loved the views, I hated being so disconnected from the rest of the city. In addition, it is a very well to do and older neighborhood, so there was a level of pretentiousness I encountered. I wasn't necessarilly looking for it, but it seemed like I couldnt escape it. Whether it was the stare from the neighbors, or the blatent ignoring of the mommies when I would say hello. Only 2 neighbors introduced themselves the entire time I lived there... people tend to go from car to house, so you don't see them too often... there arent even any sidewalks!!! But, I have recently moved to the Dimond district in the lower hills/E. Oakland. So far, I absolutely love it. Really close to some great parts of the city, close to downtoen, and still have the feeling of living in the forest, with amazing trees and vegetation and a creek! I have met at least 7-8 households so far, and it has only been a week! The only complaint I have is when/if you are in the market for purchasing a house, Oakland tacks on so many fees and regulations. the city transfer tax/fee is the highest in the state! It is very prohibitive to attracting "potential" buyers... and by potential, I mean people who are indifferent to Oakland and are open to many areas and not solely focused on Oakland. but, you will see that people are, in general, really interesting, friendly and diverse... something I think that makes Oakland stand out as a true gem in the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland