U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 14,664 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I'm originally from the DC Metro Area, but obnoxious weather here, and job opportunities in the Bay Area are bringing me that way. I'll be working in San Francisco, so I'd either like to live there, or in Oakland with easy access to BART.

Here's the question: Are there any parts of San Francisco or Oakland that are comparable to Harlem, or the Harlem-like parts of DC? For anyone who knows DC, I'm talking about U St, and now H St in NE. I think the best people to answer this would be either those who've been to Harlem and/or DC, or who have an understanding of the neighborhoods. I know that, like Oakland, Harlem (and sometimes, DC) get bad reviews for being "dangerous" and such. I, however, see these as places with inner city charm and plenty of rich culture. Of course, I'm not looking to move into a neighborhood where gun shots are heard the way car horns are heard in midtown Manhattan, but I don't necessarily need the glitz of shiny new juice bar. I'd like to be somewhere where I can find local owned businesses and great culture.

Alternatively, if you can think of a neighborhood that's not necessarily what I'm looking for, but you think may be a great fit, I'm open to suggestions

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 AM

3,700 posts, read 13,740,434 times
Fillmore District in SF ??

Near the Western Addition (housing projects) and Japantown. Short distance to downtown. Fillmore District, San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and www.thefillmoredistrict.com

Don't even bother looking at Bayview/Hunters Point area of SF.

Last edited by humboldtrat; 07-13-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM

28,095 posts, read 32,542,330 times
Living around the Lake in Oakland is a good fit, but a different mix than you'd get in those places. Mostly younger people in the area, all ethnic groups. Some of the newer stuff is a bit more trendy/upscale but its very neighborhood-y.

Generally speaking, SF and Oakland are pretty much all about locally owned businesses (they put up so many roadblocks, chains have no hope ). So you really only need to look for a personality fit.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Thank you both! Moving across the country is no joke. So much to do, especially since I don't really know anything about the area. I'm going to look into both and compare. I was leaning more toward Oakland because it looks like the weather is a bit nicer? Correct me if I'm wrong. It's not a deal breaker, but if I can live somewhere with better weather and still get to work everyday, why not?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM

506 posts, read 1,059,652 times
It depends on what kind of weather you prefer. SF stays pretty much the same year round, just cool enough to need a jacket. Oakland gets colder in the winter and warmer in the summer. Maybe a little sunnier in Oakland (though the eastern half of SF is still crazy sunny.)

I also think the Fillmore District or possibly nearby Alamo Square would work for you. Maybe the Tendernob.

Are you going to get a chance to visit before moving?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
It depends on what kind of weather you prefer. SF stays pretty much the same year round, just cool enough to need a jacket. Oakland gets colder in the winter and warmer in the summer. Maybe a little sunnier in Oakland (though the eastern half of SF is still crazy sunny.)

I also think the Fillmore District or possibly nearby Alamo Square would work for you. Maybe the Tendernob.

Are you going to get a chance to visit before moving?

Thanks! I am going to visit before moving. So now I'm just putting together a list of places to check out. I'll be staying with a friend temporarily before I sign a lease of my own though.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Depends on where you live in Oakland. Summer is 7 degrees warmer in my hood. (I live just north of the lake area). And 7 degrees is huge when ave summer temps in sf is about 65. Also the sun comes out more and faster in Oakland even compared to the eastern parts. Also the fog rolls in pretty early in sf. In the summer at 6 the fog can be starting in fidi and the sun is still out in Oakland. Around the lake is even a few degrees warmer than where I live.

As for winter? It is a wash. Evenings and am temps are about 5 degrees different an Oakland is cooler in the middle of the night and early am. Sun patterns and daytime highs are the same.

Personally I live in Oakland because it is more diverse all over the city. You don't see many African Americans in most of the wealthier parts of sf. You do everywhere in oak.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Honestly, as far as weather goes, I think anything is better than the sticky, humid 95-102 degree DC summer and freezing, sometimes windy, winters. That's the one thing I won't miss about home.

I definitely want diversity though, that way I won't go into extreme culture shock, or get homesick and run back home crying to my mother.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM

One thing you'll either love or hate is the summer. It doesn't feel like summer in the way were you need to get a summer wardrobe. We get around 10 80+ days a year in Oakland/sf/Berkeley.

You wear the same stuff all year round.

I haven't lived in sf because I am cheap and I wouldn't want to live in the cheaper foggy areas. But I visit often enough. Outside of the mission the groups you see socializing are like one eh kitty or white and a couple of Asian people. In Oakland that is more rare. In Oakland you see all types of people in almost all places.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,065,690 times
I think a lot of upper and upper-middle class blacks live in the Oakland hills areas, which are basically pretty suburban compared to the rest of Oakland. The Dimond District and the areas around Lake Merritt are pretty diverse and middle class though. I don't know how diverse the people who actually live in the Piedmont Avenue area are, but whenever I've been out to eat or drink there the crowd was really diverse compared with other parts of the city. The Temescal is also kind of diverse since the area west of Telegraph is a heavily black area, while the area east of Telegraph is more mixed.

I would definitely visit the Fillmore before seriously considering it. It has a few high-rise condo buildings which might be nice to live in, and there's Yoshi's Jazz Club which is REALLY nice, but a lot of the businesses around there are grubby, and a few blocks south of the nice condos are a bunch of grubby housing projects, so there's a weird mix of low-lifes and poor people and rich people. You might like it or you might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland