Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmelt View Post
W/C has the white (and sometimes young) woman. Reminds me of Scottsdale,AZ females.
Is it a college town? The Bay Area particular SF is one of my favorite places but comes short in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
All of the tech startuppy people might have a nice exterior, but I have met quite a few self-absorbed people in the Bay Area since I moved here in April. There probably is still the element of the cool, hippie people - but in SoMa, Marina and Mission areas, the douche level seems a lot higher than what I had expected.

I went to an informational session in SoMa last Thursday for a class I was interested in taking, and the guy they got as an instructor, even though he was in his mid 40's, pretty much did nothing but talk about himself the entire session and did so in an overtly obnoxious manner.

I wonder if most of the really laid back people have all moved to the East Bay, because I haven't found many in the city yet. I hope there still are some. I feel like I'm pretty laid back and haven't met too many people I click with here yet. Living in Walnut Creek when I'm not a stereotypical WC resident might be part of it.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:31 PM

I think there used to be more extremes in differences between LA and the Bay Area culturally but they are becoming more in the same in many regards.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
All of the tech startuppy people might have a nice exterior, but I have met quite a few self-absorbed people in the Bay Area since I moved here in April. There probably is still the element of the cool, hippie people - but in SoMa, Marina and Mission areas, the douche level seems a lot higher than what I had expected.

I went to an informational session in SoMa last Thursday for a class I was interested in taking, and the guy they got as an instructor, even though he was in his mid 40's, pretty much did nothing but talk about himself the entire session and did so in an overtly obnoxious manner.

I wonder if most of the really laid back people have all moved to the East Bay, because I haven't found many in the city yet. I hope there still are some. I feel like I'm pretty laid back and haven't met too many people I click with here yet. Living in Walnut Creek when I'm not a stereotypical WC resident might be part of it.

I've actually found people in the inner East Bay and most of the South Bay to be very genuine overall. I grew up in the South Bay and I'd say especially in San Jose, people are very "real". I live in Newark now and most of the people I interact with daily are also very down to earth. The "douche factor" is pretty low in these areas...unless you hang out in a place like Santana Row.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I've actually found people in the inner East Bay and most of the South Bay to be very genuine overall. I grew up in the South Bay and I'd say especially in San Jose, people are very "real". I live in Newark now and most of the people I interact with daily are also very down to earth. The "douche factor" is pretty low in these areas...unless you hang out in a place like Santana Row.
The inner East Bay is more working class. The wealthier suburbs probably are more like the wealthy parts of Socal.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 PM

297 posts, read 358,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
If you like white, blonde and tall, stick to Danville, San Ramon, or Walnut Creek.

If you like asian, go towards the water.
Martinez is on the water and we dont have asians!

Just tall blonde redneck girls and skinny white shaky tweeker girls!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:45 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
The inner East Bay is more working class. The wealthier suburbs probably are more like the wealthy parts of Socal.
Berkeley isn't working class. I wouldn't say Oakland is mostly working class, but I guess it's more so than Orinda or Walnut Creek. I agree with this, below, and I also find some people in Marin to be down-to-earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2;

Old 12-24-2014, 11:00 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Has the hottest women in the bay area! Just thought Id share.
if you like them white and blonde, then yes ( I do and it's why I like hanging out in WC at times). If you like them in the color yellow, then hangout in San Francisco in the Great Mall area (my friend who has lived in the Bay Area all his life like me was shocked to how East Asianified the Great Mall in Milpitas was, lol).

But really, it's because a lot of people there take care of themselves. The same can be said of people up in Roseville/Folsom/EDH area.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:02 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post

if you want more relaxed people, go up towards the Vacaville area; although they aren't so intellectual like people in SV, they are more relaxed with you and live simpletons but not hostile.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:09 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I'd agree with the OP. I call W/C "cougar central". My wife doesn't like it when we go there (for obvious reasons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland