Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 PM

326 posts, read 529,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid374 View Post
I've read through some threads from a few years ago about Western Addition, but I'm wondering about how things are around there in 2012.

-How is the area around Webster and Eddy St?
-Would it be safe to walk around Webster and Filmore between Eddy and Geary late at night to catch public transportation?
-How's the area around the Safeway on Webster?

Thanks in advance
I personally think the WA is a great neighborhood. I guess there are technically projects but I have never really felt unsafe walking around that area.

Bear in mind I've never been in that neighborhood during the night time and everything could change at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM

63 posts, read 149,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Warning: The parking lot is always full since there are people (mostly blacks) selling stuff from the trunks of their cars. This makes parking almost impossible. You can tell by the people shopping inside Safeway that it is a predominantly black neighborhood.
They built better Section 8 housing so the neighborhood doesn't look like a ghetto. They sometimes drive by with their music blasting and booming and in the warmer months people are always outside, mostly black people fighting verbally, or drunk, going to their cars to drive off. You can hear them talking loudly.
mod cut
Why did you insist on moving into the only black neighborhood in the entire northern half of San Francisco if you have such a big problem with the way we talk so loudly and play our hippity-hop so gosh darn loud?

As far as the OP, the projects on Eddy are relatively notorious around the Bay Area, however, it definitely isn't the roughest area of the City.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugocracy View Post
Why did you insist on moving into the only black neighborhood in the entire northern half of San Francisco if you have such a big problem with the way we talk so loudly and play our hippity-hop so gosh darn loud?

As far as the OP, the projects on Eddy are relatively notorious around the Bay Area, however, it definitely isn't the roughest area of the City.
You are offended that the majority of the ghetto people there are blacks?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
You are offended that the majority of the ghetto people there are blacks?
Why are you interjecting here?

I have a hard time understanding why someone who obviously has a problem with the behavior of black people in one of the only black neighborhoods in the City decided to move right into the middle of it.

It's pretty hard to even find neighborhoods with that character these days in San Francisco, if someone feels that black people playing music loudly is that problematic then they could have pretty easily lived in, oh, i don't know, anywhere else in the city.

San Francisco has seen a shocking decrease in its black population over the past 3 decades, its not that hard to avoid us and our loud music here. Sometimes it seems like people just want something to complain about.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM

56 posts, read 117,599 times
The Fillmore is an interesting place. I was at that Safeway the other day and saw a guy in the parking lot on a 90's era cell phone wearing a bright red pinstriped pimp-suit and fedora.

I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Geary.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM

254 posts, read 597,399 times
This area is not know for it's Mexicans. I have lived here for 7 years and people leave me alone.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8 View Post
The Fillmore is an interesting place. I was at that Safeway the other day and saw a guy in the parking lot on a 90's era cell phone wearing a bright red pinstriped pimp-suit and fedora.

I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Geary.
This dude is an old-school pimp. I see these guys a lot. Or at least he is a wanna-be, think's he's stylin' lol.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugocracy View Post

I don't have anything against black people. It's not the only black neigbhorhood in SF either. Just sayin. I was just explaining what goes on here in this neighborhood to the original poster of this thread who asked what it was like. I do have a problem with the gang violence and drug addicts in this area. Don't you? But then again they are everywhere, except the expensive places to live in the city like Pac. Heights. Nob Hill. I can't afford those places. Can you?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I don't have anything against black people. It's not the only black neigbhorhood in SF either. Just sayin. I was just explaining what goes on here in this neighborhood to the original poster of this thread who asked what it was like. I do have a problem with the gang violence and drug addicts in this area. Don't you? But then again they are everywhere, except the expensive places to live in the city like Pac. Heights. Nob Hill. I can't afford those places. Can you?
Does selling things out of a trunk or playing loud music somehow correspond with gang violence? Is there a connection that I'm missing here?

It seems like it's pretty clear what characteristic of the residents most directly *colors* your perception of the area. If you had a problem with gang violence why didn't you talk about any instances of gang violence instead of going on about innocuous cultural behaviors?

90% of the neighborhoods in the city aren't majority black (or whatever demographic you'd like to pretend you're talking about that somehow isn't race based yet seems to be connected directly with race). Besides Hunters Point and perhaps 1/2 of the Fillmore (at most) I can't think of any other black neighborhoods in the city that aren't housing projects of the areas immediately surrounding those projects (actually that criteria would include the Fillmore).

If you are so bothered by the cultural behaviors of a demographic that is grossly underrepresented and rapidly declining in San Francisco, I am interested to know what caused you to move to one of the last neighborhoods where blacks have such a substantial presence. I don't see how price could be the only factor, as I doubt rents are exactly affordable (excluding the projects) in that part of the City.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid374 View Post
I've read through some threads from a few years ago about Western Addition, but I'm wondering about how things are around there in 2012.

-How is the area around Webster and Eddy St?
-Would it be safe to walk around Webster and Filmore between Eddy and Geary late at night to catch public transportation?
-How's the area around the Safeway on Webster?

Thanks in advance
Sorry, folks, we need to get back to the OP's questions...thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland