Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,640,342 times

Advertisements

Man, those gun owners, with their legally purchased firearms, are at it again. Glad Leland and the others are doing something to actually fix the situation in our communities, instead of just grandstanding and using populaist rhetoric

Seriously, though, are there vested interests to prevent parts of Oakland from ever becoming viable again? How can so many people watch passively as certain parts continue to devolve on a daily basis?

Crime up in Oakland, much of Bay Area - SFGate

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,256,467 times
What would be your solution? Genuinely curious.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,640,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
What would be your solution? Genuinely curious.

There is no easy solution.

The baby steps, County level police should get more involved with Oakland. CHP as well. Increased police presence is key to reducing crime.

Use what Guliani did in NYC as a blueprint? Crack down on all types of crimes – jaywalking, graffiti, breaking windows of abandoned buildings. Crack down on victimless crimes. Very good chance a lot of the people they come in contact with are on parole/probation.

I would say that the national guard should also be used, the way it was used to protect the Civil Rights marchers in Alabama. However, I will be called a nutjob (even though I don’t see why), so let’s not make this part of the solution.

Longer-term, I will try to decrease the power of the Oakland Teacher’s union and push an educational agenda that emphasizes vocational educational. Bust the teacher’s union, which turned down FREE federal money from President Obama, because they didn’t like the requirements.

Model the county-educational system after the German one. Not everyone is college material. Teaching them a college prep curriculum is naïve. Teach them how to become welders, machinists, how to handle chemicals etc. Germany is the #1 exporter in the world (NOT China) because of their vocational educational system. Have Oakland be on the forefront of the change in America.

Currently, there are a lot of job openings that do not have qualified candidates. Make sure the kids of Oakland ARE those qualified candidates. Enable them to do jobs that pay 60-80k a year. Enable them to be well-paid blue collar professionals. Then have them enable their kids to go to college and become white collar professionals.

Completely re-organize the city budget that is spent with NGOs. Focus on organizations similar to www.earn.org that teach self sufficiency and create saving habits. Emphasize vocational and college savings accounts.

Emphasize family management. Heck, get planned parenthood involved (as long as they don’t preach abortions as an easy solution). Safe sex should be a no brainer. Emphasize home economics in Middle and High School. Make it mandatory for both boys and girls all four years.

I sincerely believe that all these changes will have the desired effect over a long-term period. Right now, we are doing more of the same and it is OBVIOUSLY not working.

Definition of insanity anyone?

Last edited by HappyinCali; 06-04-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM

119 posts, read 233,706 times
Here's a nice example of a generation raised with zero regard for human life:

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,467 times
Happyincali, I like the way you think. I agree with most, if not all, of your ideas.

I think it was pointed out in another thread that most of the violent crime is still somewhat contained to gang-on-gang violence. I don't think there will be a major move to do anything until crime starts spilling over to the "civilian" population. We might need some highly publicized stories of gangs doing home invasions of nice rich areas, or randomly killing innocents before there is more public uproar.

I am a huge fan of modeling our educational system after the German one. I think our current educational system is basically using high school as a stepping stone to college, which does certain students a disservice. In California, we have a terrific and inexpensive community college system. I'd love to see some kind of "joint program" for certain students to have a more vocational education. Maybe spend 2 years in HS, then 2 years at the local community college learning a solid trade. By age 18 someone could be ready to start working a solid job that would give them a career with no debt.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
It is very sad speaking as a 4th generation Oakland resident...

Intuitively it is getting worse.

Not that long ago crime like this typically happened late at night or in the early morning hours...

No longer... crime can happen any time day or night...

I pass by the locations where people were shot everyday and it has gotten to the point co-workers and family will refuse to visit.

Never considered leaving and now exploring options...

Both my brother and father have been shot at at point blank range... children of friends shot/killed

Oakland has so many good people and a list of positives almost unrivaled... many good people, great climate, exceptional location, center of commerce... etc...

The bad is too many people that think actions have no consequences with a large number not even Oakland residents...

Too many dismal schools and a very anti business climate compared to neighboring communities...

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times
There is a definite uptick, especially in "safe" areas. Instead of cutting the Eco-Police they cut the real Police and the result is predictable.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Oakland will have less crime when there are more police officers. The volume if work is too much for the size of the force. The ratio of residents to police is 1 officer for 600 residents. For most cities that ratio is more like 1 to 350-400.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Man, those gun owners, with their legally purchased firearms, are at it again. Glad Leland and the others are doing something to actually fix the situation in our communities, instead of just grandstanding and using populaist rhetoric.
Bad start! Gun owners with legally purchased firearms are not the problem and never have been. It's the criminals with stolen guns and illegally purchased firearms who are the problem. While the video was heart-wrenching I would almost guarantee that the shooter did not pass a background check to purchase the firearm he used. It was most likely stolen. Gangs tend to pass them around anyway.

Police forces are down. Poverty and crime are up. The end results come as no surprise.

It would help if you'd stick to your own subject.

PS. I knew Leland and worked with his staff on legislation. What a maroon!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM

219 posts, read 436,437 times
Quit raggin' on Oakland, people. Don't be a bunch of downers. So tired of this tripe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland