Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
True, no Catholic was ever harmed by same-sex "marriage" because there is no such thing as same-sex "marriage" and never will be, no matter the outrageous claims of the state. However, millions of Catholics and people of all faiths - especially children, who have a natural right to two married parents of the opposite sex, and a right not to be exposed to sexual perversion - will be harmed by the normalization of homosexuality, which is what this whole same-sex "marriage" thing is really all about.
OK, so now that your feelings about homosexuality are out in the open, do you think we should strictly follow Leviticus and put gays to death?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,594,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
OK, so now that your feelings about homosexuality are out in the open, do you think we should strictly follow Leviticus and put gays to death?
I'm a Catholic. We haven't really gone for Levitical justice since, oh, about 33 A.D.

I'd settle for jail time, say two years per conviction. It worked for Oscar Wilde and he repented in the end.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:57 PM

36,643 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The media did not force Cordileone to vigorously promote Prop 8 -- which goes FAR beyond merely "having a public position." It's merely reporting the facts, which is that he is a highly vocal and successful anti-gay activist, and as such, he demonstrates values that are contrary to those of the vast majority of people in San Francisco -- Catholics included.
You mean, this church leader actively promoted a position that is in line with the doctrines of his faith, and he encouraged others to do likewise.

Isnt that what a Priest is supposed to do?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:57 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,969,495 times
Quote:
Happily, the older generation of dissenting nuns has been shrinking for decades and is on its way out. The newer generation of obedient nuns is growing, even in the Bay Area. These Carmelites (pictured with none other than Bishop Cordileone) arrived in the Diocese of Oakland just last week:

The new foundation near Moraga will eventually be home to 21 of these very joyful and, yes, obedient sisters. Since when did obedience become a four-letter word?

If Archbishop Cordileone succeeds in restoring orthodox Catholicism in San Francisco, the Church will begin to thrive again and we'll be seeing many more beautiful pictures like this one.
No way--nuns are growing in dissent...tired of being told to focus their attentions on the very issues that drive Catholics away rather than the teachings of Jesus. Every Catholic I know, here and abroad are very cynical towards the church.

Here's an example. And good on them.. They seem to be the only few Catholic representatives with love in their heart and a connection to God that most priests, archbishops, the Vatican, seem to be completely missing.

Now, I'm not Catholic at all so all of this doesn't really mean a whole lot to me personally, but my husband grew up very strictly Catholic as well as everyone else back in Ireland. The horrors of this religion would make your skin crawl...and it's not just sexual abuse, but systematic mental abuse.

The church will only thrive again (or at the very least taken kinda seriously) when the nuns can do what they feel necessary to adhere to the teachings of Jesus, and not when old white child molesters and control freaks get their way by admonishing them for not being "obedient".

LifeSiteNews Mobile | Catholic nuns’ association blasts Vatican report critical of members’ anti-family positions

Compassion creates a family - Los Angeles Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/us...y-vatican.html

Old 07-31-2012, 03:00 PM

36,643 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
I'm a Catholic. I'd settle for jail time, say two years per conviction. It worked for Oscar Wilde and he repented in the end.
Please tell me this is a joke.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,969,495 times
Oh, and I may add since many people aren't aware, but back when the church dominated Ireland, any child that was considered odd, different, or homosexual was forced into the church to become priests..to you know, "straighten them out" because the parents didn't know what else to do.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM

114 posts, read 239,255 times
Ireland is a rock of the coast of Europe, not exactly Rome, infact the Rome of the day did as much as possible to screw the Irish, even the 7 counties of the north are almost the entire industrial core of Ireland, point being that Church did a ton of positive things for Ireland as well including recording history that would of been lost and teaching an impoverished people to read and write, I dont quite understand how even after the Protestant Reformation people still see the church in Ireland as evil or at least 75:25

Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,594,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Please tell me this is a joke.
Well, no, it's not a joke. In my view homosexual acts should be legally penalized.

But that's just me, WesternPilgrim, not the Catholic Church talking. The Church doesn't prescribe legal penalties, for the most part leaving that sort of business to up to the laity. No way that this idea would gain traction amongst the clergy today.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
Quote:
Well, no, it's not a joke. In my view homosexual acts should be legally penalized.
And I suppose anyone objecting to that policy would be guilty, in your view, of anti-Catholic bigotry.

But does your admission that this is a minority view not underscore the point that -- contrary to what Cordileone seems to think -- there's more than one way to be an observant Catholic?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,914,718 times
Quote:
True, no Catholic was ever harmed by same-sex "marriage" because there is no such thing as same-sex "marriage" and never will be, no matter the outrageous claims of the state. However, millions of Catholics and people of all faiths - especially children, who have a natural right to two married parents of the opposite sex, and a right not to be exposed to sexual perversion - will be harmed by the normalization of homosexuality, which is what this whole same-sex "marriage" thing is really all about.
i hate to break the news to you but this "right" doesn't exist. and what YOU believe is normal, doesn't make it so. maybe you should move to the mid-west or the bible belt where you will be among your own kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland