Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM

60 posts, read 151,592 times

Advertisements

I used to commute from Russian Hill to the Evergreen area of San Jose - which is, if you didn't know, very far south, about 10 minutes at least past downtown if you're coming down 280. Agreed with others here, don't even think about 101. 280 going down south is actually a very pleasant commute for the most part. My preferred route going down south was always to take 101 to 380 to 280, because it shaves off a little bit of distance, but more importantly, it avoids the occasional traffic in the Serramonte area. Took me about an hour or so going 75-80.

If you could live in Potrero Hill, I'd recommend it for commuting. My sister lives at 22nd and pennsylvania, and it's seriously crazy what a difference location in the city makes for your commute. Living in Russian Hill adds at least 10-15 minutes to my commute, as opposed to if I lived in PH, not to mention the headaches associated with trying to get through the city.

However, if you choose to live in a more northern part of the city as I do, what I always did was take 280 back up (no traffic ever), then cross 380 onto 101, where there will be traffic, but not a snail's place, from the SFO area to candlestick. THEN I get back on 280 (at which point, you'd almost be home in PH), and exit 6th street. Then traverse my way through the city that way, usually going to Van Ness or Franklin.

If you can afford the gas, and can occupy yourself in your car for an hour each way, it's certainly doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 PM

33 posts, read 56,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
However, the biggest problem for you will be getting out of San Francisco. If you're not close to a freeway, preferably 280, it takes an eternity.
Bingo... I live in Nob Hill and work in Cupertino and getting to the freeway can take forever sometimes.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 PM

60 posts, read 151,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiki View Post
Bingo... I live in Nob Hill and work in Cupertino and getting to the freeway can take forever sometimes.
I actually think it's a lot worse getting back into the city, although it depends on when you leave - minutes can make a noticeable difference. Leaving at 7-720, I get onto the freeway in 10-12 minutes usually using Gough if I'm going toward 101/280, or the embarcadero if I'm going to the east bay. Traffic is smooth, just a lot of stop lights. In the evening hour, still a lot of stop lights, but just a clusterf*ck of cars and people no matter what route you take.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 PM

33 posts, read 56,609 times
I should mention that my work provides free shuttles to work. There is no way I would do that commute if I had to drive!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,399,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiki View Post
I should mention that my work provides free shuttles to work. There is no way I would do that commute if I had to drive!
I would when the nice weather permits...but only on a motorcycle!

Zoom Zoom

Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 PM

157 posts, read 216,752 times
Its a horrible drive. Try Caltrain.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM

33 posts, read 62,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblitz View Post
Its a horrible drive. Try Caltrain.
Indeed. If you're in SoMa, especially in the area of 4th and King and you work in downtown SJ, then Caltrain is a pretty good deal.

Pros:
  • The fastest trains take about 59 minutes to get to Diridon. Google's rush-hour driving predictions usually come in at about 1 hour 15 minutes to where I work (at 101 and San Thomas), so for you it'd be longer. A number of people I know who live in SF will only drive on the off hours (leave for work after 9am), when that commute should only take you about 50-60 minutes.
  • Even though rent in SF is expensive, especially in SoMa, much of South Bay is not that much cheaper. I can't speak for you, but many people prefer the area around SoMa to pretty much anywhere in San Jose. That being said, it is quite possible to live without a car in SoMa, and just use Muni/Taxis. If you drive, you'll probably be paying for (1) parking space in SoMa (2) parking in San Jose (3) 100 miles a day of gas usage/wear-and-tear on your car (4) car insurance (5) car payments. Compare this to the $232 a month for a 4 zone Caltrain pass, plus the spending on Muni and taxis (usually runs me about $100 more a month). Zipcars and the like are pretty plentiful, so this is an option if you don't want to go carless in the city.
  • You can do stuff besides driving.

Cons:
  • The fastest trains run from 6-9am and 4-7pm, with trains outside those times being infrequent and much slower. If you work outside those hours, Caltrain may not be your best option.
  • Accidents and delays do happen on Caltrain. I'd say on average they happen on maybe one commute per month, with delays being anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Weigh this against delays from accidents on the 280/101.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,543,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Indeed. If you're in SoMa, especially in the area of 4th and King and you work in downtown SJ, then Caltrain is a pretty good deal.

Pros:
  • The fastest trains take about 59 minutes to get to Diridon. Google's rush-hour driving predictions usually come in at about 1 hour 15 minutes to where I work (at 101 and San Thomas), so for you it'd be longer. A number of people I know who live in SF will only drive on the off hours (leave for work after 9am), when that commute should only take you about 50-60 minutes.
  • Even though rent in SF is expensive, especially in SoMa, much of South Bay is not that much cheaper. I can't speak for you, but many people prefer the area around SoMa to pretty much anywhere in San Jose. That being said, it is quite possible to live without a car in SoMa, and just use Muni/Taxis. If you drive, you'll probably be paying for (1) parking space in SoMa (2) parking in San Jose (3) 100 miles a day of gas usage/wear-and-tear on your car (4) car insurance (5) car payments. Compare this to the $232 a month for a 4 zone Caltrain pass, plus the spending on Muni and taxis (usually runs me about $100 more a month). Zipcars and the like are pretty plentiful, so this is an option if you don't want to go carless in the city.
  • You can do stuff besides driving.

Cons:
  • The fastest trains run from 6-9am and 4-7pm, with trains outside those times being infrequent and much slower. If you work outside those hours, Caltrain may not be your best option.
  • Accidents and delays do happen on Caltrain. I'd say on average they happen on maybe one commute per month, with delays being anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Weigh this against delays from accidents on the 280/101.
The point about the rents is very way off, the rest is actually kind of spot on, to compare the rents, you have to realize, I live in San Jose about 2 miles from downtown in a 9 year old condo, 2bd about 1300sqft approx $2300/mo to rent a place like this. Across the street they have brand new apartments, a little more luxurious, 2bd 1200sqft $2600/mo.

If you look at the rents for a similar place in SoMA you will have trouble with that. here is a listing to show you what it is like:
ONE BEDROOM W/ HOME OFFICE at the BEACON - OPEN HOUSE 4/6 AND 4/7
1bd + (1bd with den) 896 sqft, $3350/mo

Beautiful 1 bed/bath apartment in SOMA next to Cal Train and Metro
$2000/mo to live with a roommate, the $2k is your half of a 2bd apartment, 1400sqft

18th floor corner apartment with hardwood floors and stunning views
$5330 for a 2bd 1341 sqft.

San Jose is WAY cheaper than SF, part of it is that there is less demand to live here, part of it is that they are actually building a lot of new apartments in San Jose now.

Last edited by cardinal2007; 04-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: fixed typo.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
San Jose is WAY cheaper than SF, part of it is that there is less demand to live here, part of it is that they are actually building a lot of new apartments in San Jose now.
My general rule is, the more expensive the area I'm trying to live in, the smaller the space I'll be willing to live in. If I was still living in Morgan Hill, I'd be renting a 2-bedroom townhouse. In Oakland, it would be a 2-bedroom house. In San Jose, it's a luxurious 1-bedroom. In San Francisco, it would be a studio.

You can live in SF without breaking the bank. You just have to shed some creature comforts, some minor, some potentially very annoying.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM

33 posts, read 62,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
The point about the rents is very way off, the rest is actually kind of spot on, to compare the rents, you have to realize, I live in San Jose about 2 miles from downtown in a 9 year old condo, 2bd about 1300sqft approx $2300/mo to rent a place like this. Across the street they have brand new apartments, a little more luxurious, 2bd 1200sqft $2600/mo.

If you look at the rents for a similar place in SoMA you will have trouble with that. here is a listing to show you what it is like:
ONE BEDROOM W/ HOME OFFICE at the BEACON - OPEN HOUSE 4/6 AND 4/7
1bd + (1bd with den) 896 sqft, $3350/mo

Beautiful 1 bed/bath apartment in SOMA next to Cal Train and Metro
$2000/mo to live with a roommate, the $2k is your half of a 2bd apartment, 1400sqft

18th floor corner apartment with hardwood floors and stunning views
$5330 for a 2bd 1341 sqft.

Ah, yes. I did get the part about the rents wrong. It would be more accurate to say that if you are a young software type of person (such as myself), then it should be easy to find an acceptable place in SF. You'd need to be willing to trade off something. You'd either be getting a studio (which I thought about), or living with a roommate (as I do). I guess the point I was trying to make was that, if you ditch the car in SF and slightly modify your rooming situation, you can come pretty close to making up the difference or even come out ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland