Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Reputation: 28563

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
I heard KwikWay shut down years ago. I loved those little burgers.
It was recently reincarnated. I haven't tried it, but the burgers are different. On foccacia bread. And they have rotisserie chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Is 1/4 Giant Burgers still around? I used to go all the time to the one on MacArthur near High Street.

I heard KwikWay shut down years ago. I loved those little burgers.

And I am old enough to remember Toddle House on East 14th and Seminary and of course Doggie Diner.

My brother and his family lives in Berkeley now (off Sacramento) so I think it's time for me to plan my trip back home. This talk of burgers is making me hungry.

Yeah Giant Burger's still around, most of the ones outside of East Oakland are gone now though. The one on San Pablo & Sycamore's been closed a while now... the only one in that part of town now is on 24th & Telegraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
312 posts, read 798,195 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It was recently reincarnated. I haven't tried it, but the burgers are different. On foccacia bread. And they have rotisserie chicken.


The foodies have even infected KwikWay!!!!

ROFL!!!! What, Alice Waters bought KwikWay???? LOL!!!! Are the burgers made from free range organic beef???? Do they have arugula on the burgers, and balsamic vinegar to put on your onion rings???? OMG, only in the Bay Area, and here in Texas they try so hard to copy that pretentious attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
312 posts, read 798,195 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The 76 on Pierson and MacArthur. Their burgers are flame broiled. Their Salmon Steak and Broiled Chicken Sandwiches are good too. Haven't tried the Chinese Food yet. And they deliver
LOL! A gas station with flame broiled burgers AND they deliver. Not even QuikTrip has that in the South and Arizona and they're pretty good. Do they deliver 5 gallons of premium unleaded with your order if you're stranded??? lol

I can remember that huge 76 ball like it was yesterday. Probably not there since I know since 76 was sold they got rid of the huge ball signs and installed more generic versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Reputation: 28563
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post


The foodies have even infected KwikWay!!!!

ROFL!!!! What, Alice Waters bought KwikWay???? LOL!!!! Are the burgers made from free range organic beef???? Do they have arugula on the burgers, and balsamic vinegar to put on your onion rings???? OMG, only in the Bay Area, and here in Texas they try so hard to copy that pretentious attitude.
It is a bit of a mishmash now. With Mexican flavors, and also a wider mix of things. It is still pretty busy. Especially on farmers market days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
312 posts, read 798,195 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol something tells me your guard friend probably worked on the Seminary side of campus. That Valero across from campus on Seminary & MacArthur is by far the single worst corner in the entire Mills area. The area between 55th and the 76 gas station on the other hand is one of the nicest areas of East Oakland and is not a "jungle of crime" in any way shape or form.
You know, I wonder if the "dangerousness" of Eastmont Mall spilled upwards into the Millsmont area. Really the cemetery is the only buffer zone separating the areas.

One can see the (now-former) JCPenney from the upstairs bathroom window of our house on Majestic Avenue. The increase in gang activity, etc., was looking like it was trying to creep up into our neighborhood in the 90's and one of the main reasons my family moved to Dublin.

That being said, to get back to the topic at hand, the Millsmont area is probably still OK after all these years, but I would be VERY careful (looking for apartments and such) as you approach 73rd Avenue or move southward (westward) below MacArthur. People who have a more direct knowledge of the area might want to clarify this. I wonder if a lot of Mills students are commuting from other areas nowadays.

Even in the late 80s I ran into almost zero Mills students hanging out in my neighborhood and definitely nowhere near Eastmont Mall. Almost 80-90% Black middle and working class.

I read somewhere that Millsmont, when it was first developed I think in the 1930s, was a place where a lot of Mills faculty actually lived. I met NO Mills faculty or staff when I lived on Majestic Avenue and we knew a few of the neighbors.

And although this was an isolated incident, the 7400 block of MacArthur was the scene of a horrible officer-involved shooting a few years back that got national coverage. Four OPD officers were killed along with the suspect, who was an extremely dangerous ex-felon.

I will always love East Oakland and it will always be "home", but I will always advise everyone of the benefits as well as the dangers.

Last edited by micmac99; 08-07-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
LOL! A gas station with flame broiled burgers AND they deliver. Not even QuikTrip has that in the South and Arizona and they're pretty good. Do they deliver 5 gallons of premium unleaded with your order if you're stranded??? lol

I can remember that huge 76 ball like it was yesterday. Probably not there since I know since 76 was sold they got rid of the huge ball signs and installed more generic versions.
Wish they delivered gas too but yeah seriously, a 76 gas station with Chinese food and Giant burgers LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
You know, I wonder if the "dangerousness" of Eastmont Mall spilled upwards into the Millsmont area. Really the cemetery is the only buffer zone separating the areas.

One can see the (now-former) JCPenney from the upstairs bathroom window. The increase in gang activity, etc., was looking like it was trying to creep up into our neighborhood in the 90's and one of the main reasons my family moved to Dublin.

That being said, to get back to the topic at hand, the Millsmont area is probably still OK after all these years, but I would be VERY careful (looking for apartments and such) as you approach 73rd Avenue or move southward (westward) below MacArthur. People who have a more direct knowledge of the area might want to clarify this. I wonder if a lot of Mills students are commuting from other areas nowadays.

Even in the late 80s I ran into almost zero Mills students hanging out in my neighborhood and definitely nowhere near Eastmont Mall. Almost 80-90% Black middle and working class.

I read somewhere that Millsmont, when it was first developed I think in the 1930s, was a place where a lot of Mills faculty actually lived. I met NO Mills faculty or staff when I lived on Majestic Avenue and we knew a few of the neighbors.

Millsmont itself is still fine for the most part although the project-like apartment complexes on MacArthur across from the cemetary between 66th and 68th can be pretty dodgy at night. Millsmont is best above Monadnock these days... IDK if it was like that when you grew up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
312 posts, read 798,195 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Millsmont itself is still fine for the most part although the project-like apartment complexes across from the cemetary between 66th and 68th can be pretty dodgy at night. Millsmont is best above Monadnock these days... IDK if it was like that when you grew up there.
That's about right, but I only lived in Millsmont my senior year in high school and first couple of years in college. Before that we lived off Redwood Road near Merritt College for a couple of years, and in Maxwell Park (Allendale Avenue) for much of the mid-80s, and actually in Temescal district (off Telegraph) for a long while before that.

I bounced around town a lot, and attended about 6 different elementary schools. They were (in rough chronological order): Cox (kindergarten, 1975-76), Woodland, Allendale, Garfield, Searles (Union City), and Washington. After Garfield (third grade) my brother and I were placed in foster care and that's where we stayed until I left for college. I graduated from CPS in 1988.

My real "home" neighborhood was my grandmother's area, off Foothill near 23rd Avenue where I spent much of the 1970s and visited quite often after that, the last time I was back was in 1996. I guess you can call that my "ancestral home". There was her original house which she lived in from the mid 1960s until about 1990 and a second house a few blocks over that she moved in afterwards. (To the OP, look carefully if you want to live in this neighborhood. Hopefully it has gentrified some by now. It was moderately safe in the 70s and on into the 80s, not much bad stuff during the day but you did have to be aware of your surroundings. When I went back in the 90s and drove down Foothill I was disappointed at how run down things had become, potholes in the streets...Oakland streets NEVER used to have potholes when I was a kid and they ALWAYS had those big machines with fire underneath, repaving the street as it drove down. Thanks Prop 13.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
That's about right, but I only lived in Millsmont my senior year in high school and first couple of years in college. Before that we lived off Redwood Road near Merritt College for a couple of years, and in Maxwell Park (Allendale Avenue) for much of the mid-80s, and actually in Temescal district (off Telegraph) for a long while before that.

I bounced around town a lot, and attended about 6 different elementary schools. They were (in rough chronological order): Cox (kindergarten, 1975-76), Woodland, Allendale, Garfield, Searles (Union City), and Washington. After Garfield (third grade) my brother and I were placed in foster care and that's where we stayed until I left for college. I graduated from CPS in 1988.

My real "home" neighborhood was my grandmother's area, off Foothill near 23rd Avenue where I spent much of the 1970s and visited quite often after that, the last time I was back was in 1996. I guess you can call that my "ancestral home". There was her original house which she lived in from the mid 1960s until about 1990 and a second house a few blocks over that she moved in afterwards. (To the OP, look carefully if you want to live in this neighborhood. Hopefully it has gentrified some by now. It was moderately safe in the 70s and on into the 80s, not much bad stuff during the day but you did have to be aware of your surroundings. When I went back in the 90s and drove down Foothill I was disappointed at how run down things had become, potholes in the streets...Oakland streets NEVER used to have potholes when I was a kid and they ALWAYS had those big machines with fire underneath, repaving the street as it drove down. Thanks Prop 13.)
Cox and Woodland go by different names now... nearly all of East and North Oakland's neighborhood public schools (i.e. the ones named after their neighborhoods) have been renamed in the last 10 years to painfully rosy names like "United For Success Academy" or "Achieve Academy" lol. And I assume you mean Washington Elementary in San Leandro.

As for the 23rd and Foothill area, IMO it and the entire Eastlake area are on the cusp of very significant gentrification... some of it is spilling over from Jingletown. The runaway success of Taqueria Sinaloa has been a contributing factor in increasing the visibility of the area to outsiders, as has the success of nearby Fruitvale Village and the increasing interest in the SE Asian offerings on International between 1st and 14th. I'd be very, very surprised if 10 years from now the area between 1st and 35th doesn't become heavily yuppified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top