U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,688,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
Will you be sipping cognac off the balcony of the Transamerica building? Unless you have a finance degree + Ivy league MBA, living the high life in SF is not in the cards.
Those are some narrow balconies on the Transamerica building.

Incidentally, I'm sipping Scotch and watching the sun start to set behind the Golden Gate bridge, out my window on Russian Hill (and the Giants-Dodgers on TV, of course). I don't have a degree in finance or an Ivy League MBA, either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM

34 posts, read 74,222 times
We moved here from another country at the beginning of August... No jobs lined up and 9.8k in our ass pockets with another 2 in the bank to be wired over. I had some SERIOUS reservations about whether we would get jobs having read lots of the posts on here and other forums but we were very determined to get something fast.

Well to make a long story short. We are here a month later, both working (not in tech) decent enough salaries for a start, got an apartment -(with no credit this was the hardest part), bought a car, got it insured and off we go.

Your attitude will determine your survival here. I honestly believe that. In a competitive environment when the pool is smaller and the amount of people larger, it is tough but your personality is what will differentiate you from others.

If you are moving here for some romantic dream to be downtown SF and nowhere else then forget it because you will sink with those savings but if you are open to working hard and networking until your eyes fall out just to get on your feet and living in Berkeley, Oakland or the subarbs to get started then give it a shot!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,688,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
We moved here from another country at the beginning of August... No jobs lined up and 9.8k in our ass pockets with another 2 in the bank to be wired over. I had some SERIOUS reservations about whether we would get jobs having read lots of the posts on here and other forums but we were very determined to get something fast.

Well to make a long story short. We are here a month later, both working (not in tech) decent enough salaries for a start, got an apartment -(with no credit this was the hardest part), bought a car, got it insured and off we go.

Your attitude will determine your survival here. I honestly believe that. In a competitive environment when the pool is smaller and the amount of people larger, it is tough but your personality is what will differentiate you from others.

If you are moving here for some romantic dream to be downtown SF and nowhere else then forget it because you will sink with those savings but if you are open to working hard and networking until your eyes fall out just to get on your feet and living in Berkeley, Oakland or the subarbs to get started then give it a shot!
Solid advice that will surely be missed by the OP.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 AM

13,878 posts, read 12,348,094 times
The guy already ruled out living in the Bay Area, so there's no reason to argue with him. Frankly, he doesn't seem the type to make his own decisions about anything, so it's probably for the best.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,323,145 times
Coming from way out of left field here - but why wouldn't the OP take a 2 week vacation to SF, get a room in an SRO, and see what life is really like?

We moved to the Caribbean 6 years ago. We did what was called a pre-move visit to look at real estate, look at the job situation (even though spouse was going fully employed), and get a feel for daily life there. We rented a room in a local's home, went grocery shopping, found a barber and a mechanic, hardware store, visited local restaurants. We had a much better idea of what to expect financially when we moved. Unfortunately, not enough of a good idea because 18 months later we folded and left. That particular move was not good for us because it was too vastly different than anything we had ever known, we were far from family, and then there were more specific concerns regarding the price of utilities and weather (and I'm in touch with the fact that weather is not the problem in SF).

I will say this - looking at someplace on a visit is completely different than living there. We looked at the cost of utilities, which was and is astronomical, and thought "well, yeah, we could squeeze here and there - it's doable". It was not. You get SICK of squeezing after a while...there ain't enough good scenery to compensate when you're stuck on the back porch from lack of funds...and it doesn't matter how cheap that cheap eatery is, if you've just sent what equaled your last house payment to the electric company you're still eating beany-weenies. At home. It's cute for a while and makes for great stories, but it makes for a lousy life as an adult.

Seems to me OP would be safer risking a part of his life savings, taking some vacation time, and going for a set period of time...find housing, find a job, get oriented, figure out daily life and daily/monthly costs, and deciding whether he could make it. If he can't find employment in that time he might reconsider his decision to risk the whole pot and two months later having to fold and going back to wherever he came from without a penny to his name, no job, and having to start all over again. At least this way he's on a short leave, he's only going to lose a finite amount of money, and his job back home still awaits when he returns.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM

145 posts, read 269,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It sounds like you may not fully understand the incredibly high cost of living in these parts. The very few that have managed to "make it work" with nothing except a few bucks in their pocket and a "dream" are usually back to where they started in a couple of months.

If you told us that you have a MBA or degree in CS, or tons of experience in these fields then most would be honest in saying that you'd probably be alright. But you don't. You really need to understand that the Bay Area is a highly educated populace. This isn't really the hub for factory work or unskilled labor. This is why it's very expensive to live here. More than you seem to realize.

Insulting the people that actually live and work here just makes you seem terribly foolish since you're not really understanding this. Asking us where you should move to is pretty silly. How the he** should we know? Anyone that pats you on the back and says "go for it" is just as ill informed and overly optimistic. All the good vibes and stuff is great, but not realistic at all for most. This isn't the time or the place for wishing and hoping that at just all works out if you just show up here. The days when this was completely possible have been long gone.
I understand perfectly well how high the COL is there. The way I took his post is that it would be hard to make it ANYWHERE with my $13,000.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM

622 posts, read 1,057,743 times
The best thing to do is come out here for a week or so and just explore.

There aren't a lot of factory jobs here. There might be jobs further out in communities with farmland that have similar sorts of jobs, but I'm going to bet those jobs are already taken (again, just a guess). However, when I think of the communities with those sorts of jobs I'm thinking Gilroy, wine country or areas towards Sacramento. San Francisco isn't a viable living option for those sorts of jobs. I actually think I'd have higher hopes if you mentioned having experience as a waiter or bartender as those skills transfer pretty well and this area has a ton of restaurants and bars. Someone I know has been doing that here for awhile and moved into catering a few years back.

I moved to San Francisco with a stash of cash too. The difference is I was moving here for law school and I had a lot more money. Even then between school and living, my money eventually did run out, but I took time off from school and worked to get through. This was years ago, but I made it with hard work and help from my friends. The rental market in the city is MUCH more difficult now though, so you'd eat up a bit chunk of savings just finding a place if you were able to actually get one. You've made a start by asking here, but do more research on both the rental market and the types of jobs that you'd be qualified for.

However, if you're serious, I'd also suggest improving your skill set and getting more education, formally or informally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatKing216 View Post
That still seems to be quite a bit out of my budget. :/ Is there anything in a "pretty safe" Oakland neighborhood for closer to the $600 range without having to have a roommate?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland