Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,620,631 times

Advertisements

I can't stand watching the A's field get tore up right now b/c of football. It's just embarrassing seeing the outline of our infield during a Raider game. I hope they get something done soon, this stadium situation is just beyond pathetic at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,321,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's a Bay Area thing, people just have a lot of regional pride or something, they just want to "support the Bay" when it comes to basbeall. I don't get it really. Most of my friends are one or the other but I do know people that support both teams.

I don't think CA baseball fans have quite as much passion and loyalty as ones in the Midwest and East Coast do but you don't see this in LA with the Dodgers/Angels nearly as much as here, or really much at all. And one thing you will NEVER see in any 2-team market is this:

The funny thing is that whole supporting both Bay Area teams rarely extends to football. Very few people support both the Niners and Raiders. Whenever I ask someone how can you support both baseball teams and they say something like "I'm a Bay Area baseball/sports fan", I then point out how they don't do that with football.

I like the Niners, have never liked the Raiders at all. Plus they weren't here for much of my youth. As I said few people support both. You'll find plenty of A's/Niners fans but much fewer Giants/Raiders fans.

I don't believe in rooting for rivals of any of your teams and the A's and Giants are regional rivals, they play each other twice each year. I like the Chargers and Padres too but they rarely play the Niners or A's as they are in different leagues/Conferences and play only once every few years and aren't rivals in any way. But I love the A's by far above any other team.

I think a higher % of A's fans have more animosity towards the Giants than the other way around and it's increased over the past 10+ or so years because of what has happened. The Giants got a new stadium and the A's have had to deal with crappy ownership and the Coliseum. Then the Giants got their one fluke championship and many fans started acting like they are the Yankees; being super obnoxious, talking about attendance/stadium issues with the A's, players being traded away, etc...

And many of these newer Giants "fans" don't know jack sh*t about that team before AT&T, I bet the majority have never even seen a baseball game at Candlestick. Yet for those 25-28+ years old and older, we can rememeber when we packed that Coliseum before Mt Davis ruined it and the A's were the best baseball team in the Bay Area and outdrew the Giants. So it gets on my nerves when some of these Giants fans act like we've always had these attendance/stadium issues and have no memory or idea what the Giants were like before At&t.

It's funny how this year the Giants are spending $120 million dollars and aren't any better than the A's, the team with the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball, and that's on top of playing in the weakest division in baseball.

lol this dude always gets so emotional over these Giants-A's threads.

males shouldn't be jealous, that's a female trait

Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,466,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lol this dude always gets so emotional
Ironic.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,840,437 times
The last of the multi-purpose stadiums shared by MLB and the NFL. In addition to the unsightly aesthetics, it can't be fun to play on that surface during this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I can't stand watching the A's field get tore up right now b/c of football. It's just embarrassing seeing the outline of our infield during a Raider game. I hope they get something done soon, this stadium situation is just beyond pathetic at this point.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,620,631 times
Quote:

Jealous of what? A history of mediocority? Stupid animal hats and Melkman gimmicks? Yuppie, cheesy a*s fans? Not being able to beat teams over .500 despite a $120 million payroll? I'm envious of the Giants ballpark but that's it.

Call it emotion if you want, I'm just passionate about my team but that's not something I expect some fence riding Bay Area cheerleader like yourself to understand. You probably have one of those split caps.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 PM

6,415 posts, read 8,271,359 times
Every time I see one of those hats I laugh

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,008,611 times
Quote:

That Opera picture says it all.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,341,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
That Opera picture says it all.
jesus christ...

Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,008,611 times
I'm sorry I misspelled your idols name. Hope you can forgive me krudmunk.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,833,697 times
Quote:

Betting on the women in this here forum applauding this sentiment? Might want to bet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland