Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times

Advertisements

So if everyone is SCARED of Oakland, why is it selling like hotcakes?????

I love parts of Oakland.

American Cities Where Homes Sell Fastest - 24/7 Wall St.

1. Oakland, Calif.
> Average no. of days on market: 24
> Median home price: $379,000 (12th highest)
> Population: 4,335,391 (16th highest)
> Unemployment: 9.56% (20th highest) If you want a house in Oakland, you had better grab it while it’s hot. The average house in Oakland is sold 24 days after its been on the market, the fastest of all metro areas by a sizable nine days. From the time housing prices peaked in the first quarter of 2006 to the fourth quarter of 2011, home prices plummeted 45.9%, significantly higher than the U.S. average of 34.2%. Still, that is better than its California counterparts of Bakersfield and Fresno, where housing prices plunged 58.3% and 54.7%, respectively. Only 3,547 houses were on the market for an area population of 4,335,391 (which includes the San Francisco area). The number of available homes declined 57.92% compared to the year earlier period.

Read more: American Cities Where Homes Sell Fastest - 24/7 Wall St. American Cities Where Homes Sell Fastest - 24/7 Wall St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,302 times
Because it's more affordable then say.....Palo Alto, Burlingame, Millbrae, Mt. View, Marin, etc. etc
Ever thought about the price being a HUGE factor?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Because it's more affordable then say.....Palo Alto, Burlingame, Millbrae, Mt. View, Marin, etc. etc
Ever thought about the price being HUGE factor?
Homebuyers don't buy in a place they're scared of, affordable or not, so maybe it isn't the awful hell it's so often made out to be?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Homebuyers don't buy in a place they're scared of, affordable or not, so maybe it isn't the awful hell it's so often made out to be?
If money was less of an issue, would you choose the flatlands of Oakland over other bay area locations?

Sometimes home buyers are constraint by their limited budget. Bay view hunters may not be their 1st or 2nd choice but it's affordable to them.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM

72 posts, read 112,206 times
Wrong, if it were just about price they would move out to Antioch or Concord where you can buy a large home in the 200k range. What else is new though, you enjoy over looking logic in order to find ways to be negative about Oakland. Keep going though Mr. Fantastic you're doing a great troll job.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrod King View Post
Wrong, if it were just about price they would move out to Antioch or Concord where you can buy a large home in the 200k range. What else is new though, you enjoy over looking logic in order to find ways to be negative about Oakland. Keep going though Mr. Fantastic you're doing a great troll job.
What is your problem? Can you please just stop with this troll calling junk.

I did not say money was the ONLY factor. I'm saying it's a huge factor. Read it again.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Ever thought about the price being a HUGE factor?
This list is done by METRO area, not by actual city so I don't know why it says just "Oakland". So it includes places like Marin, Palo Alto, SF, Walnut Creek, etc..

The population total being over 4 million should have been a dead giveaway this wasn't just about the city of Oakland.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I am not really surprised to be honest. At my church we've seen about a dozen young families move from out of state in during the past 2 months and they all purchased homes in the East Bay Hills but work in San Francisco or the Peninsula.

What's most interesting is that lots of people in the Oakland Hills came here because dollars stretch farther but then they wind up staying permanently after they are in a position to leave if they wanted to.

I guess superb weather, incredible views, wonderful culture, food and art and unparalleled location to the rest of the Bay Area are strong selling points.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 PM

72 posts, read 112,206 times
Quote:
What is your problem? Can you please just stop with this troll calling junk.

I did not say money was the ONLY factor. I'm saying it's a huge factor. Read it again.
That was a Metro Area Poll done troll, yet all you focus on is Oakland Ignoring that all other area's were surveyed too.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The population total being over 4 million should have been a dead giveaway this wasn't just about the city of Oakland.
I instantly noticed that but then its confusing that SF is separated.

I suspect that this is really the Oakland-Fremont-Hayward Metro Division which is Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland