Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
The Expo Line to Santa Monica is expected to be completed in 2016. Not sure where you get the 2014 figure from. I rode the Expo Line when it first opened back in late April and went to USC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_Ph..._Angeles_Metro)

Anyway, the metro system is cleaner and much newer in LA. Coverage isn't that great though. You can't directly compare the two systems. BART has better coverage but is much dirtier since the "no food/drink" isn't strictly enforced like it is at the Metro.
I don't think BART has better coverage than MetroLink/MTA. Remember, Metrolink also has heavy trains that serve Inland Empire, Orange County, and North L.A. Not to mention just overall better quality of trains. You don't even hear the outside world inside a Metrolink train from say Burbank to Union Station. But on a BART train, going under the bay tunnel, it literally sounds like metal grinding against metal, and no amount of ear covering will block that screeching sound out. It's horrible.

On top of that, BART doesn't even make a complete circle around the Bay, and doesn't yet have a San Jose connection, you know... the 3rd largest city in all of California?

BART is certainly more dirty as I pointed out before. The old green cushions smell like a porto-potty by 5PM if you're unfortunate to be on the train by then. BART used to be a cutting edge system (in the 70s), but right now, it's outdated, breaking down, and not even profitable.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Interesting... Tell us less

Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Anyway, the metro system is cleaner and much newer in LA. Coverage isn't that great though. You can't directly compare the two systems. BART has better coverage but is much dirtier since the "no food/drink" isn't strictly enforced like it is at the Metro.
I agree, the Bay Area generally has much better coverage overall than LA's transit system. I don't know if you seen the new seats but they are much better than the current cloth one's, much easier to keep clean. And when they finally get the hard floors in all the cars and rid of the carpet it will be much easier to keep them clean.

Probably one of the reasons LA's system, especially Metrolink, can stay so clean is that it carries far fewer passengers. I know Doc claimed Metrolink has better coverage but good luck trying to catch a train during non-commute hours and on weekends. When you have over 500 miles of track, 7 lines, and only about 41K passengers per day trains are not going to be running very often. Compare that to Caltrain which has only ONE line that is just under 80 miles long yet carries more passengers at 42K per weekday.

And of course BART carries nearly 380K per weekday on just a little over 100 miles of track. Considering LA, our nation's 2nd largest city, has only ONE heavy rail line it's kind of sad but it is improving slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
But on a BART train, going under the bay tunnel, it literally sounds like metal grinding against metal, and no amount of ear covering will block that screeching sound out. It's horrible.
Actually a nice pair of BOSE headphones works great, can't even hear anything but your music even in the transbay tube.

Quote:
BART used to be a cutting edge system (in the 70s), but right now, it's outdated, breaking down, and not even profitable.
This has to be one of the dumbest comments ever considering there isn't such thing as a "profitable" transit system anywhere in the world outside of Japan, and certainly not in LA.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
I don't think BART has better coverage than MetroLink/MTA. Remember, Metrolink also has heavy trains that serve Inland Empire, Orange County, and North L.A. Not to mention just overall better quality of trains. You don't even hear the outside world inside a Metrolink train from say Burbank to Union Station. But on a BART train, going under the bay tunnel, it literally sounds like metal grinding against metal, and no amount of ear covering will block that screeching sound out. It's horrible.

On top of that, BART doesn't even make a complete circle around the Bay, and doesn't yet have a San Jose connection, you know... the 3rd largest city in all of California?

BART is certainly more dirty as I pointed out before. The old green cushions smell like a porto-potty by 5PM if you're unfortunate to be on the train by then. BART used to be a cutting edge system (in the 70s), but right now, it's outdated, breaking down, and not even profitable.
BART does have the problem of not serving some of the most important population centers, but there is a San Jose/Santa Clara connection in the works. And the project is being run by the VTA, which has shown it can get projects like this done, relatively efficiently. (See, for example, the light rail running in the median of 87 and 85 and adjoining stations.)

Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
BART does have the problem of not serving some of the most important population centers, but there is a San Jose/Santa Clara connection in the works. And the project is being run by the VTA, which has shown it can get projects like this done, relatively efficiently. (See, for example, the light rail running in the median of 87 and 85 and adjoining stations.)
We'll see. If they can get it done in a timely fashion (not 20 years), then that shows progress.

But as of now, to say that BART serves a greater area of people than the Metrolink/MTA system, is simply false and not based on fact. As a Bay Area resident, I think the Mass Transit here is not horrible, but it's not that much better than other systems around the country, it's simply average in comparison.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 PM

72 posts, read 112,228 times
Quote:
Better:
New York
Chicago
Washington D.C
Boston

About the same:
Los Angeles Metro
Portland

Not as good:
Dallas
Denver
Seattle

When your finances allow, or if life takes you there, you should ride on a few more systems if you think the Bay Area has the #2 mass transit system in the U.S.
Considering you use other peoples opinions as your own you don't need to tell anybody anything about transportation. If you think LA's system is "About the same" it shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

Again you've never been to any of the cities you're speaking on.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrod King View Post
Considering you use other peoples opinions as your own you don't need to tell anybody anything about transportation. If you think LA's system is "About the same" it shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

Again you've never been to any of the cities you're speaking on.
Have you ridden the L.A system? Which stations have you been to? What route did you take?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM

72 posts, read 112,228 times
Quote:
Have you ridden the L.A system? Which stations have you been to? What route did you take?
Considering my sister lives there and I went to Grad School at UCLA I really don't have to justify anything to a pathological lying sociopath such as yourself.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
In addition to NYC I'd put Chicago, DC, and Boston above the Bay Area. Bay Area is easily one of the Top 10 in the country and arguably Top 5 as well. Either way, it's sure as hell better than LA and any city west of the Mississippi.
I'd probably add Philly to the list of cities in the US with better public transportation than the Bay Area.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'd probably add Philly to the list of cities in the US with better public transportation than the Bay Area.
I'd say that one's debabtable. They don't have much in the way of heavy rail and I believe transit use there is about the same or even slightly below the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland