Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 18,944 times

Advertisements

I am currently interviewing with the big 4 accounting firms. Was trying to choose whether to go to San Fran or Phoenix. What are the sizes of the offices there? What are the perks/negatives of each area or offices? I have never lived on the west coast and would love some input! I am in audit and am definitely going big 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM

54 posts, read 120,554 times
I don't really understand why you would care about the size of the offices. You mean physical size of the building? Or are you talking about the industry in general?

Anyway, the main things you need to know between the 2 places (from someone that's lived in both Phoenix and currently lives in SF) are:

1. Phoenix is damn hot, San Francisco is completely opposite. In Phoenix, the weather sucks for about 5 months and is amazing the remaining 7. In SF, its always somewhere between cool and cold. Rarely do you feel much actual warmth. I like both climates for different reasons, it just depends on what you prefer

2. Phoenix is huge and spread-out, San Francisco is small and cramped. Its all about preferences - I prefer SF just because I don't have a car and can walk around, not worry about parking, insurance, gas...and to be honest, its nice to go to happy hour and not worry about who's gonna drive your car home. But the density and the cramped vibe in San Francisco can wear on some people.

3. San Francisco is expensive, Phoenix is cheap. You can get a killer place in Phoenix for $1k per month - we are talking prime, spacious apartment in somewhere like Scottsdale. In San Francisco that same $1k would get you a studio the size of a closet in a bad part of town. Taxes in California really add up too, especially compared to AZ.

4. If you're going the audit path, you'll have more career opportunities in San Francisco. Its the financial capital of the west coast. Phoenix has a decent job market but for accounting, SF definitely has the edge here.

Also, what do you like to do in your spare time? Golf, swimming pools, backyard BBQ's, etc...are better in Phoenix. Cultural Activities (theater, music, art, festivals...), Hiking/Camping, Food is all better in San Francisco (and the surrounding area). Although Arizona does have some beautiful scenery, a lot of it is basically inaccessible for half the year when it is too hot outside to fully enjoy. In NorCal you can do most of that stuff year-round.

I can honestly say I love both places but that they are complete polar opposites.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I have a friend at PwC and Deloitte... I know PwC you get normal benefits, cell phone, lap top, company credit card. I know these two firms have giant offices in good parts of the city. I'd choose SF, it's a better financial hub than Phoenix, more room to grow.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 PM

457 posts, read 756,716 times
Are they offering you the same pay? If not, I would choose SF - you will always have the option to move to AZ with your salary.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 AM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
As an associate at a Big 4 accounting firm, it won't matter at all where you live. Totally immaterial. You won't be going anywhere but the office.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
I've lived both in Phoenix and the SF Bay Area. Starting out, you'll have a better standard of living in Phoenix. You can likely afford to buy a decent 3 bedroom house in a nice area. Not the prime areas of Scottsdale, but definitely somewhere like Chandler. This is not a possibility in SF. Yes, the exit opportunities are better in SF from a long-term career perspective, but its not like there aren't any large companies in the Phoenix area. You can get along just fine in Phoenix, with several large companies, such as Honeywell, Intel, PetSmart, American Express, Henkel, etc.

I agree that SF is much more cultured, but Phoenix is getting better. When I lived there 10 years ago, it was virtually all chain restaurants. That is changing and the culinary scene is improving. In terms of outdoor recreation in Phoenix, it is pretty good. Its not just golf either. Hiking is great there with Camelback, Squaw Peak, etc. The Bay Area is prime, but its not like Phoenix is a complete wasteland. The weather is hot for a good portion of the year, but I don't think 5 months are completely miserable. I'd say its more like 3. When its in the low 100s, it actually feels good, since its so dry there. However, it totally beats the bay area most of the year in terms of sunny, warm weather.

I live in the Bay Area now and in general, I like it. However, I liked the Phoenix area as well and think I'd be happy if I moved back there as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Are they offering you the same pay? If not, I would choose SF - you will always have the option to move to AZ with your salary.
Doesn't work that way in public accounting (or many other industries). Relocate to an area where they pay people less, they are going to drop your salary to market rate. (which makes good business sense, whether you like it or not.)

Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Doesn't work that way in public accounting (or many other industries). Relocate to an area where they pay people less, they are going to drop your salary to market rate. (which makes good business sense, whether you like it or not.)
Not all industries compensate differently by location. When I was in Management Consulting, I would've been paid the same salary, had I chosen the Dallas office vs the SF/NYC offices.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,778 times
SF is better overall. Unless you want to save money, I would go with SF.

In Phoenix, you stay home all day. There are tons of stuffs to do in SF.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
SF is better overall. Unless you want to save money, I would go with SF.

In Phoenix, you stay home all day. There are tons of stuffs to do in SF.
You stay at home all day? Where do you get that from? Tons of outdoor activities in Phoenix. Scottsdale has great nightlife (IMO a lot better than SF). There are a fair number of good restaurant choices as well. Maybe not on par with SF, but making it sound like Phoenix has nothing to do is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland