Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:35 AM

9 posts, read 34,586 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if someone who lives in the Bay Area could help me out with some information. I have visited the area several times, and I have decided the Bay Area is where I want to start my career when I graduate from college. I am interested in knowing which degree is more valuable in the Bay Area economy (specifically San Francisco and Oakland). I am currently trying to decide between majoring in Accounting or Finance. I know that San Francisco has a strong banking and financial industry. How is the job demand for Finance majors? I know there are a shortage of accountants nationwide including the Bay Area. Is there also a large demand for people skilled in Finance in the area? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 43,534 times
If you are willing to work IN San Francisco, and can qualify for a junior public accounting position (working to CPA, etc.), I see no difficulty in getting hired rather quickly. If you decide that working AROUND San Francisco (in suburban locations) is more to your taste, expect fewer opportunities and somewhat less in earnings potential.
If you insist on a "management trainee" position, you may have to work harder to find something satisfactory.
If you can do math and spell, you are ahead of many, many of your peers.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM

78 posts, read 343,686 times
You are still young, and they probably haven't told you this in college, but what you "major" in is not exactly what you will be doing in the real world. What employers are looking for are people who can read, write, and most importantly, think. A bigger plus if you know how to think critically and express that properly. Your choices of major are so similar, just pick the one you like more.

Your 1st job in the San Francisco Bay Area my not be exactly what you want to do. I know many kids who, after graduating from college and over 6 years of living in SF, are still looking for their "dream job" and still drawing allowances from their parents. You just need to plunge in and get some work experience under you belt.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 39,170 times
Ya might wanna mention to this kid from Tulsa, OK that he's likely gonna need to make about 250k a year to have anything remotely close to resembling his current lifestyle.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:09 PM

9 posts, read 34,586 times
Default I'm quite aware of the cost of living in San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbaken View Post
Ya might wanna mention to this kid from Tulsa, OK that he's likely gonna need to make about 250k a year to have anything remotely close to resembling his current lifestyle.
I am well aware of the cost of living in San Francisco. It is not an issue for me. If you are willing hard enough, you can always make the kind of life that you wish for. I have lived in many places including larger metro areas with high costs of living. I have always done just fine. Tulsa is cheap, but it can not offer you the same opportunities as San Francisco. Cheap is not always better. Your comment seems pretty ignorant considering you know nothing about me. Do not assume that I am just another dumb Oklahoman. For those of you who actually answered my question, I appreciate your suggestions. You have been very helpful, and I appreciate your time in responding.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM

55 posts, read 170,874 times
Default Am There with you Bro...

Greenday7 I couldn't agree with you more. You seem to be in the same boat as I am, and have the same powerful spirit. As I told you before, am looking to make the same jump. Don't let anyone discourage you from your dreams, and goals, not to be sway from the reality, but don't. We'll make it, if we don't, we tried, right,lol...... who knows one of us might find the formula to stop this high cost of living.... GOOdluck

Old 10-16-2007, 03:12 PM

87 posts, read 523,665 times
Hold on a minute TwinMom06. The best jobs in accounting (or at least those most highly compensated) will be closed, and remain closed, to someone without an accounting degree. To become a CPA in California, you must have 24 semester hours of accounting and 24 semester hours of business. No way around it. No firm is going to hire someone for an accounting position that isn't CPA eligible. If you think public accounting may be in your future, go for the accounting degree.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom06 View Post
Your 1st job in the San Francisco Bay Area my not be exactly what you want to do. I know many kids who, after graduating from college and over 6 years of living in SF, are still looking for their "dream job" and still drawing allowances from their parents. You just need to plunge in and get some work experience under you belt.
100% true.

My first real job was horrible-and in hindsight, cant believe I made it from that low point to where I now find myself.

God Bless America.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,240,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
Hold on a minute TwinMom06. The best jobs in accounting (or at least those most highly compensated) will be closed, and remain closed, to someone without an accounting degree. To become a CPA in California, you must have 24 semester hours of accounting and 24 semester hours of business. No way around it. No firm is going to hire someone for an accounting position that isn't CPA eligible. If you think public accounting may be in your future, go for the accounting degree.
This is true. And while working as an accountant was not of much interest to me, two of the three wealthiest people I know personally (millionaires many times over) are CPAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland