Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
So do you have a solution to the never ending crime problem in cities like Oakland, Detroit, Camden, Philly, South Chicago, Trenton, Washington DC, Bronx, Compton etc.?
whites make up the largest ethnic group in oakland. the racial demographics are not similar and as far as eduational attainment only washington dc is at all similar to oakland

Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If anything, I'd expect the number for the bolded to be significantly higher in Chinatown given the much higher density than anywhere in Oakland.
I don't have the stats but given Oakland is considered one of the most crime-ridden cities in the U.S. I doubt you'll find more robberies, car thefts or purse snatching in Chinatown than in the more dangerous parts of Oakland.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I don't have the stats but given Oakland is considered one of the most crime-ridden cities in the U.S. I doubt you'll find more robberies, car thefts or purse snatching in Chinatown than in the more dangerous parts of Oakland.
Oakland has been in the Top 10 for the past 15 years STRAIGHT, and has been in the Top 3 half of those years. If Oakland isn't one of the most dangerous cities for violent crime, than I don't know what is.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 PM

I think Dallas is the 15th or so most dangerous city in America and after living there for several years I can only guess how bad the crime areas of Oakland must be given the city is ranked 3 or 4.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
I think Dallas is the 15th or so most dangerous city in America and after living there for several years I can only guess how bad the crime areas of Oakland must be given the city is ranked 3 or 4.
The crime areas of Oakland are literally gangland strongholds. I've had the displeasure of driving through West Oakland, and seeing parks meant for kids, filled with armed drug dealers selling their goods in plain sight without any fear.

In the past 2 years, Oakland has chopped 1/6 of its Police force.

This year, the Feds took over the Oakland PD for non-compliance stemming from a settlement many years ago.

It's not a good situation, and it hasn't been for a long time.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Oakland is only 56 sq miles whereas Dallas is around 300 sq miles.

If we expanded Oakland to include the surrounding 300 sq miles from Berkeley to Hayward out to Lamorinda the crime rate would dilute wayyyyyyy down.

Conversely it would be fairly easy to find a 56 sq mile area of Dallas that has a very high crime rate, probably similar to Oakland.

In fact you will notice that for the most part, cities with the highest crime rates tend to have small physical land sizes--this means that bad areas have a far greater impact on the overall crime rate of the entire city.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland is only 56 sq miles whereas Dallas is around 300 sq miles.

If we expanded Oakland to include the surrounding 300 sq miles from Berkeley to Hayward out to Lamorinda the crime rate would dilute wayyyyyyy down.
But it's not. It's only 56 miles and if it's dangerous to live in Dallas I can only imagine what it's like in Oakland given the much smaller size.

Quote:
...In fact you will notice that for the most part, cities with the highest crime rates tend to have small physical land sizes--this means that bad areas have a far greater impact on the overall crime rate of the entire city.
Right but say you reversed Bay View district with the Richmond area in SF I don't see how crime wouldn't go through the roof in the neighboring inner/outer Sunset. My guess is Oakland is similar. You've got fairly nice neighborhoods but the proximity to the more dangerous areas just isn't that far enough away and thus crime easily spills over.

Last edited by john3232; 08-23-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
But it's not. It's only 56 miles and if it's dangerous to live in Dallas I can only imagine what it's like in Oakland given the much smaller size.
So you dont understand what I was trying to say?

Yawn.

Furthermore, my life in Oakland is better than 99.9999% of Dallasites.

Quote:
Right but say you reversed Bay View district with the Richmond area in SF I don't see how crime wouldn't go through the roof in the neighboring inner/outer Sunset districts. My guess is Oakland is similar. You've got fairly nice neighborhoods but the proximity to the more dangerous areas just isn't that far enough away and thus crime easily spills over.
Er, This is absolutely no different from people in Dallas who live in nice neighborhoods that are near higher crime areas.

Or is Oakland the only city in the country where crime spilling over from high crime areas to safer areas occurs?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:

Right but say you reversed Bay View district with the Richmond area in SF I don't see how crime wouldn't go through the roof in the neighboring inner/outer Sunset. My guess is Oakland is similar. You've got fairly nice neighborhoods but the proximity to the more dangerous areas just isn't that far enough away and thus crime easily spills over.

why ignore the high crime areas of sf that are the tenderloin ,western addition and mission?

do you think the crime from tenderloin bleeds into nob hill?
or
western addition crime bleeds into hayes valley and lower pacific hts?
or
mission crime bleeds into noe valley?

these areas are much closer to high crime than the opakland hills are to west or east oakland

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Er, This is absolutely no different from people in Dallas who live in nice neighborhoods that are near higher crime areas.

Right and the closer the neighborhoods are the more likely you'll come into contact with problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
these areas are much closer to high crime than the opakland hills are to west or east oakland
Crime coming from downtown SF does bleeds up into areas of Nob Hill. However, I doubt the number of crimes committed are nearly as high as those you likely find in the more dangerous areas of Oakland which move up toward Walavista Ave where my friend lives.

Last edited by john3232; 08-23-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland