Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,987 times

Advertisements

Seriously. I'd like to know.

From my research, it's super expensive, need to have several roommates to survive, travel a distance to get to your job, unless you're lucky enough to live close to it and the homeless situation rivals LA, except San Francisco has better programs in place to help them.

What are the POSITIVES? I don't care about "diversity". I come from NYC, so diversity isn't new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,674,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Seriously. I'd like to know.

From my research, it's super expensive, need to have several roommates to survive, travel a distance to get to your job, unless you're lucky enough to live close to it and the homeless situation rivals LA, except San Francisco has better programs in place to help them.

What are the POSITIVES? I don't care about "diversity". I come from NYC, so diversity isn't new to me.

Once again, you sound like you mean "San Francisco" instead of the "Bay Area".

Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Good things about the Bay Area

--Great weather (although I prefer the weather outside San Francisco. SF proper is too cold for me).
--Lots to do.
--Great geography/scenery.
--Good food & restaurants.

But you are right....if you are struggling to pay the rent or you have to live with annoying roommates to keep your rent reasonable, then the pros listed above may not be worth it. Many people with kids also find this area isn't worth it. It usually takes two demanding professional jobs for people to be able to afford to own a 3BR house in a half decent school district.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Once again, you sound like you mean "San Francisco" instead of the "Bay Area".
LMAO! Man, whatever.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Good things about the Bay Area

--Great weather (although I prefer the weather outside San Francisco. SF proper is too cold for me).
--Lots to do.
--Great geography/scenery.
--Good food & restaurants.

But you are right....if you are struggling to pay the rent or you have to live with annoying roommates to keep your rent reasonable, then the things listed above may not be worth it.
I do feel that way.

I have no doubt that most of the Bay, including SF are probably nice places to "visit", but not to live, if you're not making enough to afford a decent one bedroom. I heard certain parts of Oakland might not be bad. I've seen rents for $900 and in good buildings, but then again how much is it to travel on the Bart to get into SF to work?

I heard it could be pretty expensive the longer your commute is.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM

39 posts, read 84,050 times
I'm still trying to figure out what's so good about the bay area. I'm having the hardest time trying to find a place to live, if I want to live in the city I need to live like I did in college even though I'm making adult money. I've been homeless for the past few weeks living on a couch. Sure the fresh air is a nice departure from LA but the stench of urine counters all of that.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times
The positives...It's my HOME!! The rest of the positives (like great food, fresh produce, scenery, weather, lots to do) are just incidental.

I can afford it because I'm from here and we moved to a less expensive part of the state and even abroad for a while so we could end up back in the Bay Area. I can imagine how difficult it would be for a single person struggling on one income though to get much out of it unless you're younger and don't mind living with other people (which of course is what I did back in my late teens/twenties).

I don't know if there would be a many positives for people that decide to come here w/o a good job lined up and family/friends to help ease the transition.

As for the homeless issue--it's not a problem where I live and not a problem in most neighborhoods in San Francisco--it's concentrated to a several areas.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnboy1084 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what's so good about the bay area. I'm having the hardest time trying to find a place to live, if I want to live in the city I need to live like I did in college even though I'm making adult money. I've been homeless for the past few weeks living on a couch. Sure the fresh air is a nice departure from LA but the stench of urine counters all of that.
Have you tried Oakland? I've seen apartments available for $900 and up, but I don't know how far they are from the Bart station. If you're uncomfortable around people of color, then I guess it's not a good idea.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:05 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Try Emeryville for affordable rents, and Fremont.

What's good about the Bay Area:

Perfect weather, except during an El Nino year (torrential rains)
The best entertainment outside of NYC, huge variety of events day and night on weekends, many of them free
Beautiful natural environment: beaches, redwoods, many state parks, wildlife
Some areas have a wonderful small-town feel
Great public transportation, no need for car ownership
Endless great restaurants
The scenery: Bay views, ocean views
Top-notch universities and science institutions

As clongirl said: it's HOME! What can we say? It's in our blood, it's in our hearts.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnboy1084 View Post
That really sucks asnboy, but I'm curious... where did you get the idea that you could afford to rent a place on one income in one of the most expensive cities in the US without having to at least split the cost with roommates?

Unfortunately, I think it's very common misconception and overly romantic notion--that you can just live where you want. It seems to cause a lot of heartache, anger, and disappointment for people moving to the City specifically. We all read about it on these boards all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland