Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 16,665 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the success rate of transferring kids from another school district (Hayward) to Castro Valley? The CVSD website only saids it can be done if there are enough spaces, but it doesn't mention if the waitlist is long or no room at all, etc. I can imagine a lot of Hayward parents are doing the same thing so maybe the chance is small? This is specifically for kindergarten/elementary, but I would appreciate feedbacks for middle/high school as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Do you work in CV? Sometimes they take that kind of thing into consideration. Sorry I don't have more info, the best thing you can do is call and ask.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We moved from the Strobridge area up to near upper Center Street when our oldest was ready to start school for that reason. The Hayward District had actually hired a private investigator to follow residents to make sure they were not going to Castro Valley Schools without an official transfer, as many were using friends addresses to cheat the system. There was a big difference between those two districts and from what friends tell us it's now even worse than when we were there.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 16,665 times
It's unfortunate how BIG of a difference those two school systems are. I work in San Mateo, my husband works in San Ramon, and we want to live in an area where we both can benefit from the commute. We cannot afford the CV house prices. We don't have kids yet but are trying. Hopefully, in a few years, we can save more money to be in a better school district. We were hoping that the interdistrict thing would be easy so we don't have to move at all.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashiyuki View Post
Does anyone know the success rate of transferring kids from another school district (Hayward) to Castro Valley? The CVSD website only saids it can be done if there are enough spaces, but it doesn't mention if the waitlist is long or no room at all, etc. I can imagine a lot of Hayward parents are doing the same thing so maybe the chance is small? This is specifically for kindergarten/elementary, but I would appreciate feedbacks for middle/high school as well.

They are super booked up and over full. Elementary schools with room might be Proctor and CV Elementary. They actually added entire classes to schools because the demand is so high.

It is a bit late but go to Alma St and ask Pupil Services what they can do for you.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I remember being in the position of "private school or move" 20 years ago, back when our kids were little. We moved. It's sad that so many people have to make that choice.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
My brother heavily sells Castro Valley and a lot of it has to do with schools and another is the property tax rate is way less then some neighboring cities...

I pay about 1.6% and Castro Valley is slightly more than 1.1%... just something to consider.

My sister-in-law camped out to make sure each of her kids were able to attend Independent and she volunteered there for years...

Last I heard... there just were not enough spaces for those wanting to attend.

Some are able to do the transfer based on the employment of one of the parents... might look into it?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Yes, being unincorporated helps keep the taxes lower. I was heavily involved in the CV district back in the late 80s-early 90s
before we moved up here, including Board budget committee. The new developments at the time such as Columbia and Palomares Hills brought in a lot of kids with well educated parents, who showed up at Board meetings and applied a lot of pressure to get things improved fairly quickly. About the same time Hayward started to go down hill and they have continued in opposite directions ever since.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Tier 1- Students who live with in the boundaries of CVUSD
Tier 2- Students who have a parent who works with in the boundaries of CVUSD-if room is available
Tier 3- Residence Fraud kids. Those who use a family or friends home and lie so kids can attend CVUSD. Some parents will risk getting caught and exposed, if it means their kids can get a shot...even if only for a little while.
Tier 4- People like you. No way in? Forget it. Your taxes are not going into CVUSD, so they won't want your children going there.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, being unincorporated helps keep the taxes lower. I was heavily involved in the CV district back in the late 80s-early 90s
before we moved up here, including Board budget committee. The new developments at the time such as Columbia and Palomares Hills brought in a lot of kids with well educated parents, who showed up at Board meetings and applied a lot of pressure to get things improved fairly quickly. About the same time Hayward started to go down hill and they have continued in opposite directions ever since.
My friend went to Hayward schools in Kindergarten and was held back when she entered CV schools. Same with another friend who used our address to come to CV from Hayward in 4th grade. She was held back entering CV schools. This was 1975 and 1979.

It has always been this way. Beautiful campuses for East Ave and Fairview but the money should have been spent on TEACHERS and such. Part of it is parents not forcing their kids to do homework, and part is teachers not caring and no money for the tools they need to teach.

Hayward is fine if you don't have kids or choose Private school education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland