U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,460,840 times

Advertisements

Because I've read and heard from a few sources that the new 49ers Stadium that broke ground recently a few months ago in Santa Clara, that there were Public-Funds, Taxpayer dollars involved in helping it break ground, footing the bill for it? I thought California was the only state out of all the 50 states that flat-out refuses to use Public-Funds, Taxpayer dollars to help build stadiums, thats why 3 of the 4 oldest NFL stadiums in all of the United States are all in California(the other being in Green Bay) until the new 49ers Stadium broke ground recently, and why the NFL still has not returned to L.A., why L.A. lost the NFL in the first place, i'm guessing it is more of Southern California that refuses to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build stadiums more so than Northern California?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 PM

so how was the Stadium deal able to get public-funds, taxpayer dollars involved?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM

16,645 posts, read 27,435,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Because I've read and heard from a few sources that the new 49ers Stadium that broke ground recently a few months ago in Santa Clara, that there were Public-Funds, Taxpayer dollars involved in helping it break ground, footing the bill for it? I thought California was the only state out of all the 50 states that flat-out refuses to use Public-Funds, Taxpayer dollars to help build stadiums, thats why 3 of the 4 oldest NFL stadiums in all of the United States are all in California(the other being in Green Bay) until the new 49ers Stadium broke ground recently, and why the NFL still has not returned to L.A., why L.A. lost the NFL in the first place, i'm guessing it is more of Southern California that refuses to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build stadiums more so than Northern California?
I don't think a lot of these are put to a public vote, this one was and the public wanted it enough.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think a lot of these are put to a public vote, this one was and the public wanted it enough.
Finally!!!!!!!!, about damn time somebody responded, i guess this goes to show you that it is mainly Southern California that flat-out refuses to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build Professional Sports Arenas, Stadiums, Venues, etc.

mod cut
The Coliseum and Rose Bowl broke ground in 1921 and opened in 1923. Since then no new football stadiums have been built in or around Los Angeles. It's not only a Los Angeles problem. Outside of Lambeau Field, the three oldest stadiums currently in the NFL are all in California: Candlestick Park (1960), Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (1966) and Qualcomm Stadium (1967).

It's even an issue in Major League Baseball, where the three oldest ballparks outside of Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are in California: Dodger Stadium (1962), Angel Stadium (1966) and, again, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (1966). The Raiders' move from one old stadium to another one continues to be one of many reasons their move back to Oakland hasn't been as fruitful as expected.

The lack of a new, state-of-the-art stadium has also cost California the opportunity to host the country's biggest events. Eleven of the first 37 Super Bowls were held in California, with seven of the first 27 held in the Greater Los Angeles area, far and away the most of any region during that span. The league, however, will not hold another Super Bowl in California until there is a new stadium. Add to the mix the Final Four, which was last held in California in 1975 at the old San Diego Sports Arena, and the state of California is out of the "big event" business until a new facility is built.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-18-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Sorry, you may post a very short snippet from an article with a link, but not long quotes

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,467,325 times
geez, thought that would have been finished eons ago. they seemed to be wrapping up that deal when i left 11 years ago!

Santa Clara Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM

13,397 posts, read 11,687,233 times
They're not using public funds for the stadium:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sp...financing.html
San Francisco 49ers stadium deal nears goal line | Reuters

I don't blame SoCal people for not wanting to subsidize a business owners' new digs either. They'll need to find corporate support like the 49ers and Giants did for their new Bay Area venues.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Finally!!!!!!!!, about damn time somebody responded, i guess this goes to show you that it is mainly Southern California that flat-out refuses to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build Professional Sports Arenas, Stadiums, Venues, etc..
No, the majority of Petco Park was publicly financed. I doubt a new Chargers stadium won't get some sort of public subsidy either.

Also SF refused to publicly fund a Giants ballpark and the new Warriors arena will be all private funds as well. Clearly wasn't going to help the Niners either.

It's not a SoCal/NorCal thing at all.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
No, the majority of Petco Park was publicly financed. I doubt a new Chargers stadium won't get some sort of public subsidy either.

Also SF refused to publicly fund a Giants ballpark and the new Warriors arena will be all private funds as well. Clearly wasn't going to help the Niners either.

It's not a SoCal/NorCal thing at all.
here is what former California Governor Gray Davis said: ""Even in boom times, Californians are very suspect of allocating public money, taxpayer dollars to build a stadium, arena, venue. In bad times it's simply impossible. The state has a tradition of not spending public money, taxpayer dollars on stadiums or arenas. For example, 1999 and 2000 were good years in California and even in those good times there was no appetite in spending public money."

Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
here is what former California Governor Gray Davis said: ""Even in boom times, Californians are very suspect of allocating public money, taxpayer dollars to build a stadium, arena, venue. In bad times it's simply impossible. The state has a tradition of not spending public money, taxpayer dollars on stadiums or arenas. For example, 1999 and 2000 were good years in California and even in those good times there was no appetite in spending public money."
Okay, I agree CA may not be as willing to use public funds for professional sports venues compared to other parts of the country but I don't think that varies between Southern and Northern CA though, as you claimed it did, and that was my point.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Okay, I agree CA may not be as willing to use public funds for professional sports venues compared to other parts of the country but I don't think that varies between Southern and Northern CA though, as you claimed it did, and that was my point.
so the new 49ers stadium, it was completely privately-funded, no taxpayer dollars involved? from other sources i've heard, read that there was public-funds, taxpayer dollars involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland